Home Forums Modern 3D Printed Soviet/Russian Vehicles from Bashytubits

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

All,

I have been on a tear the last year or so, buying up 15mm stuff, from WWII to Vietnam to Moderns.  And so when fellow TMPer “Bashytubits” bought a 3D Printer and began turning out Cold War NATO and Warsaw Pact vehicles, he had my attention.  He’s been advertising his wares on TMP and I liked the selection and how the initial pictures looked, so I figured I’d give it a shot.  I guess it’s been a couple weeks ago now, but I placed on order with him, shuttling funds via PayPal, and a few days later I was the recipient of some 15mm plastic Cold War goodness.  I ordered more (a total of 13 vehicles), but haven’t had the time to finish all of them, but I’ve got six vehicles completed and  I really like them and wanted to show them off.

So below you’ll see six plastic vehicles from BashTubits’ 3d Printer: two T-62s, two BMP-1s, and two BTR-60s.  I apologize as I now wish I’d have taken initial (“before”) photos, but I apologize, you’ll have to live with just the final (“after”) photos.  And I beg forgiveness on another note as well: these are definitely Cold War-era vehicles, but as I intend on using them in a fictional, Imagi-Nation-style dust-up, I actually painted them up in quasi-‘modern’ Russian camouflage.  I’ve placed two Khurasan 15mm Private Military Contractors next to the vehicles for scale, in quite a few of the pics.

The whole shebang, from left: two T-62s, two BMP-1s, and two BTR-60s.  All of these vehicles are two piece, hull and turret, and when they arrive they are U-G-L-Y!!!  Coming out of the 3D Printer, they’ve got a lot of plastic stuff that needs to be cleaned up.  I’ll admit that it was really ugly and I was really aggravated, but in the end I simply busted out my X-acto knife and it took me between 15 and 20 minutes per vehicle to clean up.  I figure that’s about the same as it’s taken me to do other plastic vehicles (cleaning up and assembling).  So you clean out all the excess plastic, then slap the turret on and spray prime them, no sweat.

Another look, reverse.

The T-62s.

The BMPs, with 15mm troops for scale.

The BTRs.  For more pics, please visit the blog at:
    http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2017/02/3d-printed-sovietrussian-vehicles-from.html

I’ve had quite a few (e-mail) conversations with him, and Bashytubits is continuing to work on new models.  If you’re looking, I need that Warrior with Chobham armor!!! 😉  And a Gepard, probably some M-60s…

On a side note, real life butted into my wargaming time in a serious way last weekend, and what little time I had I used to work on these.  So sorry, no games 🙁  But quite your whining, I’ll get some in this coming weekend, and I’ve already posted twelve batreps in 2017!!!

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

I ordered from him as well, and got a T-55 and BTR-60 and yes they need a lot of clean up. The MG barrel on the BTR-60 snapped off  as I was cutting the threads off and it hid it self some where on the floor..damn it.   The T-55’s was a bit better but the gun barrel is mis-aligned .   I do plan on getting some of his BM-21  rocket arty.

You did a much better job than I have Jack !!!

Participant

John,

Cool man, I didn’t know you’d ordered some as well.  I think they’re pretty cool; they look decent enough (most, not all, but he’s working on getting all the models up to the same quality standard), they’re a great price, you can buy one-offs (rather than packs of three to five), and they get here quick.  I can’t complain.

“You did a much better job than I have Jack !!!
    Well, in your defense, my eyes and hands are 100 years younger than yours 😉

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

LOL !!! Yeah I guess so.  I am planning on getting the BM-21’s and more of the BTR-60’s if I ever get my East German infantry in.

Participant

Yes, they do require some cleanup because when I ship them I leave the supports on because it helps protect the models. I thank you guys for your comments and pictures. When cleaning up the models it is important to not use excessive force and a sharp hobby knife as the models are hard plastic and the smaller bits will break. However as they are hard plastic is easy to glue them back in place. If you hate plastic you can also use music/piano wire to replace gun barrels, a pin vise will easily drill the plastic. Kyoteblue and Just Jack I had no idea you guys were posting here so prolifically. I wish I lived closer to you all as modern gaming in Vegas is practically non existant. Warhamster 40k and FOW rule the hobby stores in these parts.

Participant

Tony, Jack is in Texas and I’m in Oklahoma and we once met in real life !!!   Bummer about no modern gaming in Los Vegas .

Participant

Perhaps to give you a better idea… one of these vehicles was 3D printed, one was hand made.

No automatic alt text available.

QRF Models Limited
    www.quickreactionforce.co.uk

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.