Home Forums Ancients 6mm Greek Mythology skirmish(Project necromancy).

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I came accros this little 6mm Greek fantasy line from Rapier Miniatures a little while ago and decided to order some to check them out.

I LOVE THEM!!!

The casts are nice and crisp with almost no cleanup necessary, lots of nice detail and easy to paint.

I bought a pack each of armoured hoplites, chimeras, hydras, gryphons and harpies.

Here’s what I’ve painted so far

Rapier miniatures is moving and has closed their shop temporarily, once it opens again I’ll be ordering the rest of the range.

Keymaster

Nice paint jobs!

Participant

Thank you, we are very proud of them.

Drop me an email of what you want and I can sort, what we didn’t want was a stack of 30 orders and moving men putting the stock all over the place.

Participant

Wow, cool!

I’ll get right on it!

Meanwhile…

I’ve ordered the Typhon rules and I managed to finish some more figures.

I decided to paint the second Hydra red/orange to use as a fire breathing version.
    here it is beside to first one I did.

The harpies have also all been painted and can bee seen here attacking the last two of the fully armored Greeks( previously finished models to the rescue 😉

I’ve also started painting the second Chimera but, as it will look almost exactly like the other one, I won’t be posting any seperate pics of it.

Also, I accidentally ordered two packs of chimera’s, I think I may just try my hand at converting one to a manticore. If I manage to pull it of I’ll post pictures of that.
    Thats it for now until I recieve my next order from Rapier miniatures.

Participant

I’ve been very tempted by these figures as well!  That is some very fine painting Stroezie

In case you didn’t know, Baccus do 6mm hoplon transfers at the bottom of this page:

https://www.baccus6mm.com/catalogue/ClassicalWarfare/Greeks/

Participant

Very nicely done.  You have done the right thing in painting the 6mm figures more brightly than you might with larger scales.

Participant

Nice paint jobs there. I look forward to reading some battle reports too.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

https://roderickdale.co.uk/
    https://emidsvikings.ac.uk/

Participant

Say hello to the manticore!

Chopped of the lion, goat and dragon head, beheaded a 28mm Kahdoran winterguard and glued his head onto the chimera body

Add some green stuff and watch it dry so I can paint 😉

Here’s a shot with a painted original so you can compare

Hopefully I will be able to get some paint on it tomorrow.

Participant

Well, here he is with some paint on him, I also added a little clue about the next monster I’m going to paint…

Can’t wait till my next order from Rapier minis arrives, meanwhile here’s a picture of all the figures so far.

Total cost so far £9.50GBP, god I love 6mm :-))

Participant

So as I’m waiting for the rules and the rest of the minis to arrive I decided to see if I couldn’t quickly knock together some terrain.

Here’s the first building, a generic greek looking temple, still a bit rough around the edges but it should do me for the first few test games at least.

The roof and walls lift away so the figures can move inside too.
    I won’t be doing this for any of the smaller buildings but I like my larger buildings to be a bit more than just big blocks of impassible terrain.

Next will probably be 5 or 6 small simple rectangular houses to beef up the town.

ooooh could be tempted to a song of blades mini campaign!

Participant

I could’t resist making another temple.
    This one is more of a shrine, I imagine it atop a lonely wind swept cliff where our heros have sought refuge from their persuit, but who does this temple belong to…

I’ve also recieved my copy of the Alternative Armies Typhon rules.
    Reading through them now, hope to get in my first test game somewhere next week.

aaaarrrrgh I can feel my fantasy roots calling me….

Participant

Have to say that I am really impressed with the pictures on this thread.  I like 6mm (my first armies were Baccus Covenanter and Montrose’s Great Rebellion armies), and also like to dabble in fantasy.   I tend to do a bit of figure painting during the summer.  I already intend to get a Hittite army from Rapier this year.  Some of the Rapier Greek  myth stuff would look very good for my HotT 6mm armies.

Participant

Thanks for the positive comments.
    I can’t reccomend these figures enough, full of charracter and really crisp and clean casts.
    I’d love to see some pics of your HotT armies when they are finished.

I heard that they may be a touch bigger than 6mm, I know mine are, what size are they actually?

Participant

Picture > 1000 words

here you go.

Top bananas.

Participant

After I get through with Typhon i might try to cross this with your fantasy airship droptrooper knights idea for something like this

http://www.hellasrpg.com/

If this doesn’t tick all my boxes I don’t know what does. Ancient Greek space opera, whats not to like?

Participant

Great stuff. Check out Irregular as well for some suitable fantasy pieces and Microworld Games have nice Centaurs.

And Irregular make some great buildings. I used their Greek city set a few years ago here

http://6mm.wargaming.info/page301.shtmla

and finsihed here http://6mm.wargaming.info/page302.shtml

My 6mm Wargaming site https://6mm.wargaming.info

Participant

Some more Greek myth figures came up in my painting cue so I thought I’d share them with you

Some sea people raiders and their Cyclopskin artillary

And a Medusa with her giant pets and some victims

Also did some baby giant scorpions (still have to paint mom and dad)

I still have some more sea raider peltasts to do and then it’s on to minotaurs and centaurs. Hopefully by the end of the week.

Cheers,
    Stroezie.

Participant

I had some more spare time today so now I have some more painted miniatures

First mommy (or daddy?) giant scorpion

And then ,my favourite evil minions, the minotaurs

Unarmored sword fighters

And bronze armoured hoplites

I really like the minotaur figures, lots of nice details yet still realy easy to paint.

Participant

You do our figures proud.

Next up will be Scorpionmen.

Participant

It’s an impressive line-up of warriors and monsters you’ve assembled. The manticore conversion was a real treat 🙂

Participant

@ Fredd Bloggs
    Thanks, I really can’t say enough good things about these minis,they really are a joy to work with.
    I was actually thinking of ordering some more scorpions to try and convert to a manscorpion but now I guess I’ll just have to keep an eye on your site.

@Alexander Wasberg
    I really enjoyed doing the manticore conversion, I was going to do a scorpionman next but, see above 

So now I think I’m going to try converting one of my spare gryphons into a sphinks.

Participant

As I’ve been having some vague and nebulous ideas of using these figures for a Greek myth fantasy pocket/hero/warhammer quest mash up, I’ve decided to reload all the pictures in this thread as they had been thouroughly trashed by the recent Photobucket debacle.

I havn’t decided yet if I’m going to continue posting in this thread or start a new one in the fantasy section and just put a link through to here ( and maybe one back from here to there?), we’ll see.

I did notice though that I never put up a pic of those sea people peltasts I mentioned a few posts earlier so here you go..

Cheers,

Stroezie.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.