Home Forums Ambush Alley Games Ambush Alley News and Community Ambush Alley: Boots on the Ground

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 23 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by Shawn Carpenter Shawn Carpenter 11 months ago.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Shawn Carpenter
    Shawn Carpenter

As some of you may know, we began work some time ago on a new edition of Ambush Alley that we’re calling “Ambush Alley: Boots on the Ground.” The “Boots on the Ground” part of the title is very important, because these rules will be even more infantry-centric than Force on Force.

We’re going to return to our roots with AA:BOTG. This will be a game that features a low figure count, small table size, and quick playing time. The focus will be on short, sharp infantry actions in built-up or rough terrain. You’ll also see the return of Asset Cards, which will have all the rules needed to use them printed right on the card (no more looking up the rules for calling in an airstrike or mortar salvo).

We’ll also be taking these rules in some new directions, though, including new rules for Operators (single figure teams), near-future weapons and armor, and, yes, a point system.

I’ll be sharing more info on this project as development progresses, including some AARs that will give you peek at what we have in store for you!

I’m very excited about these rules – more excited than I’ve been since we were working on Force on Force and Tomorrow’s War!

Shawn Carpenter
    [email protected]
    www.ambushalleygames.net

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Sounds good Shawn !!!

Splod
    Splod
    Participant

Very excited to see this take off Shawn!

Give us a yell if you’re after some playtesters, Ive cut my teeth on many hours of Force on Force and am eager to see what you can come up with next!

Baz Baziah
    Baz Baziah
    Participant

Nice to read that you are returning to your roots with the new edition. I’ve always liked the small table “close and dirty” approach the game had.

Jim

Darryl Smith
    Participant

So glad that you have a forum presence once again, and pretty excited about BOTG as well. I like infantry-centric skirmish games for my modern and sci-fi gaming.

Buckeye AKA Darryl
    foragecaps.blogspot.com
    germancolonialgaming.blogspot.com
    ambushedinthealley.blogspot.com

Pedro Ruiz
    Participant

Sounds very, very well! I can’t wait it!

Stan Martens
    Participant

This sounds great…looking forward to the evolution.

Steve Rysemus
    Steve Rysemus
    Participant

I hope you will provide a PDF version of these new rules!

RKE Steve

gcmini
    gcmini
    Participant

Shawn, you can call it “Boots On The Ground” if you want … but I heard there was a much funnier working title early on.

Allen Rockwell
    GameCraft Miniatures
    Business: www.gcmini.com
    My Blog: www.allensmicroarmor.com

Shawn Carpenter
    Shawn Carpenter

You mean “Ambush Alley: Hot Man-on-Man Action?”

I thought it was a great title, but people kept laughing at me when I used it for some reason . . .

😀

Shawn Carpenter
    [email protected]
    www.ambushalleygames.net

Shawn Carpenter
    Shawn Carpenter

I hope you will provide a PDF version of these new rules!

You know it, buddy! We’re all about digital products – it’s how we got started in this crazy bidness!

Shawn Carpenter
    [email protected]
    www.ambushalleygames.net

gcmini
    gcmini
    Participant

You mean “Ambush Alley: Hot Man-on-Man Action?” 

That’s the one … still hilarious.

Allen Rockwell
    GameCraft Miniatures
    Business: www.gcmini.com
    My Blog: www.allensmicroarmor.com

Darryl Smith
    Participant

And I hope for us old timers who like printed materials that will also be an option…for the rules NOT to be called Hot Man on Man Action? 🙂

Buckeye AKA Darryl
    foragecaps.blogspot.com
    germancolonialgaming.blogspot.com
    ambushedinthealley.blogspot.com

Shawn Carpenter
    Shawn Carpenter

Peggy is pretty keen on AA: Hot Man-on-Man Action, but we’re definitely calling it AA: Boots on the Ground. 😉

We’ll also be offering both print and digital versions of the game.

Shawn Carpenter
    [email protected]
    www.ambushalleygames.net

Donogh McCarthy
    Participant

Looking forward to BotG – I’m biased, but I really enjoyed smaller games from Classified!

Shawn Carpenter
    Shawn Carpenter

I’m right there with you, Donogh!

Shawn Carpenter
    [email protected]
    www.ambushalleygames.net

Volker Pein
    Participant

Shawn, can you explain what type of changes we could aspect in the rules? Do you plan big changes or do you keep the basic mechanics of the game?

Shawn Carpenter
    Shawn Carpenter

Here’s a little info on AA:BOTG from our blog (found at http://www.ambushalleygames.net/blog/2015/4/26/ambush-alley-returns):

If you’re familiar with the history of AAG, you know that we got our start back in 2007 with the release of the original Ambush Alley rule book – a slim little volume with black and white photos that I “type set” using Word. It was tightly focused on modern, urban combat between “regular” and “insurgent” forces and quickly garnered a respectably large fan base.

When we followed Ambush Alley up with the first edition of Force on Force in 2008, we expanded the scope of the game to larger, more conventional battlefields. Little did we know that book would attract the attention of Osprey Publishing and make Force on Force our major focus for nearly four years. After publishing a 2nd edition of FoF and eight companion books behind, we found ourselves nostalgic for the tighter scope of Ambush Alley.

What’s more, we’ve learned a lot in the past eight years (you guys are good teachers), and we really wanted to apply those lessons without gutting Force on Force. We’re well aware that many of you have sunk a lot of your hard earned cash in FoF and its eight companion books and we really didn’t feel right about putting out a new edition – it wouldn’t have been a money grab, but it sure might have looked like one to some folks. We pride ourselves on being a game company run by gamers for gamers, so the last thing we want is to look like we’re falling into some sort of planned obsolescence based version release strategy. We decided it would be a much better idea to kill two birds with one stone by putting out a new version of our much loved Ambush Alley rules that incorporates the lessons we’ve learned in the “FoF years.”

So what’s this new version of Ambush Alley going to be like? Well, here are some high points of what you’ll see in the new version of the game:

Ambush Alley will be a game engine. While the rule book itself will be focused on modern/near future small unit combat, we’ll be releasing Guidebooks that to put the engine to work in other settings, such as zombie survival, space opera, WWII, etc.

Ambush Alley will support the sort of fire team based skirmish gaming you’re used to from Force on Force and/or allow you to field highly skilled individual figures as single figure “units.” Want to play a scenario featuring a couple Special Forces Operators leading a few squads of indigenous troops? No problem. Or maybe you want to play a game where you’re in control of four separate Operators who are infiltrating an enemy camp? No sweat. Ambush Alley will allow you to play any combination of unit based skirmish or figure based “ultra-skirmish” scenarios you desire.

Ambush Alley will have a shallower learning curve than FoF. While it will still include the AAG “Reaction System,” that system has been overhauled and simplified to make it easier to learn and play. The rules in general are far more streamlined and will be supported by a number of “out of the box” playing aids that will make the game quick and easy to pick up.

Ambush Alley will be Force on Force & Tomorrow’s War compatible. It isn’t meant to replace FoF or TW and, as you’ll see, is significantly different from both of those games in design and scope, but you will still find it quick and easy to adapt FoF or TW scenarios for use with Ambush Alley.

Ambush Alley will see the return of our beloved digital “Mini-Campaign Packs.” We’ll re-release updated versions of old classics like “Three Block War” and “Under the Black Flag” to support the release of Ambush Alley and regularly release new, inexpensive mini-campaign packs.

Ambush Alley will be well-supported with scenario packs, but will not require scenarios to play. We’re designing this new version of the game from the ground up to make it pick-up game friendly.

I’ll go into more detail on the items above (and other surprises that I’m keeping up my sleeve for now) – keep your eyes on the blog! It’s going to get pretty exciting around here!

Shawn Carpenter
    [email protected]
    www.ambushalleygames.net

maggico
    maggico
    Participant

Glad to see that the forum revamped and with this news.

Jon Winczek
    Participant

Maybe it has been already written here but what is tactical scope of BotG, meaning whether it be squad based game (every figure is on its own – like Skirmish Sangin or Five men in Normandy) or platoon based game like AA and FoF?

Greets

naash
    Participant

Hi ! Those are fantastic news !
    I can’t wait to see AA back…

dead1
    Participant

So happy you guys are back!  Any news on potential release date?

Joseph McCullough
    Participant

Really looking forward to the new rules, Shawn!

Shawn Carpenter
    Shawn Carpenter

Thanks, Joe!

Shawn Carpenter
    [email protected]
    www.ambushalleygames.net

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.