Home Forums Sci Fi 6mm Sci-Fi Anshan – Building a Junker Town

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I look at AB buildings and I wonder how Robinsons will feel that their Fruitshoot lids will be forever immortalised in his work.

I look at AB buildings and I wonder how Robinsons will feel that their Fruitshoot lids will be forever immortalised in his work.

Well, they ARE Junkers, you know 

But now I’m imagining an orbital-drop dawn raid on Anshan by power-armoured soldiers of the Robinsons company’s private military…

That tile is done, one more in the works and then probably two more after that until it is complete (for now)

The Tile:

Anshan so far:

Participant

Dude…you make trash look so good.

Participant

Marvellous work as usual!

Really wish those hex-pods were still available (though I’ve noticed that Smartie tubes look to be about the right size for a trash-bash substitute).

ANSHAN

LOOKOUT POST NEAR THE JUNKERDOME

JUNKER INSURGENTS RIDE INTO TOWN TO CHECK ON THE CRASHED ESCAPE POD

STEVE CHANG OF KR TV REPORTS

FARMERS AND THE DEEMA SEED PODS

JAYNES PUB

CHEEKY POSTER FOR THE CRIMSON ALLIANCE ON THAT HEAP

DOC TALKS TO A GUARD

MARKET SQUARE

RDF HK DRONES COMING TO CHECK OUT THE ESCAPE POD

STREET VIEW WITH FLAG AND HANGING LANTERNS

Participant

Dayum…..

Participant

That is so impressive. 

I love all the little details, amazing. 

Participant

I find it mind boggling that so much detail is present at 6mm. Just tremendous work.

The tree of Life is self pruning.

Participant

Cool, a real bustling community.

Participant

Brilliant! 

It’s great! And may I say, I love this way of presenting terrain and miniatures, with “scenic” photos (as if “in-world”) that tell a little narrative. It’s something I’ve gotten used to from LAF and have been wishing to see more of elsewhere as well.

Participant

Hey, I thought they canceled Firefly!

Super cool, totally agree with Rhoderic, from now on I vote we all show of our terrain in this format.

You are really starting to make me think about basing up my buildings. For just a little less modularity you get so much more charracter and life.

For just a little less modularity you get so much more charracter and life.

It was the lack of being able to put buildings anywhere other than the base they were stuck to, that initially put me off.
    But I think the added extra prettiness is worth it.
    Plus also for me, as I only play maybe one game a year, the fact I can’t change the layout from game to game is not really a problem.

Keymaster

from now on I vote we all show of our terrain in this format.

I decree it so.

Participant

It’s great! And may I say, I love this way of presenting terrain and miniatures, with “scenic” photos (as if “in-world”) that tell a little narrative. It’s something I’ve gotten used to from LAF and have been wishing to see more of elsewhere as well.

Oh and you will sir…….you will.

I’m working on something now and I’m almost done. Some of you peeps might remember something I did earlier on in the year. I’ll give a clue, “project Stratosphere”. And will be showing it in fluff format, if that makes sense.

Participant

Ho—lee—-crap.

Your work is gorgeous.

Thanks for the kind words peeps…

Need inspiration now..

I have two spaces left to fill, but what to put there?

More houses, something unusual?

Participant

How about a car/vehicle graveyard where people can go hunt for parts, old cars up on blocks, stacks of tyres…

Maybe a small workshop people can use to work on their vehicle, for a small fee of course 😉

Participant

You know what would be perfect, a kids playground made out of reclaimed materials.

Oh and a dentist/docter/veterinarian/mariage councilor.

Maybe some agricultural structures, like a silo or some sort of small mill or refinery. Depends a bit on what exactly is done with those deema seeds after they’re harvested.

Or maybe a small lumber mill if the trees on the planet are any use for that. Sooner or later those Junkers need to start learning to make do with what the natural environment has to offer.

A car/vehicle/machinery graveyard as proposed by Strozie is also a good idea, although it might make more sense located outside the town perimeter if you can accommodate it on your playing surface.

Participant

A stable for those beasts they ride?

Maybe some agricultural structures, like a silo or some sort of small mill or refinery. Depends a bit on what exactly is done with those deema seeds after they’re harvested.

Great Minds:

A stable for those beasts they ride?

In the process of painting one up for the webstore!
    😀

Cool silos!

Striking off from the stable idea, could there be call for a small caravansary or an inn? Somewhere for travelling merchants like what’s-his-name-with-the-hover-caravan to stop. I also assume Anshan has some hinterlands with farms where more deema is grown and cattle ranched (or else where does the cattle for the marketplace come from?), which could help justify an inn as some of those hinterlands-folk might not manage a trip to town and back all in one day.

By the way, where do the Anshanese get their water? Is there a communal well, do they get it from some nearby river or stream, or does it just rain so much that they can collect rainwater on a steady basis? Any need for a water tower?

Similarly, is there electricity and if so, do they all have their own gennies or ought there be a small power generation facility of some sort?

Good questions, for sleeping needs there is Jayne’s bar.
    Though to be fair, people mostly prefer to sleep in their transports…

Anshan is in the highlands and they have nearby streams and so on.
    Plus sink wells (is that the right term?)

Power is mostly generators, some fuel cells with a long life span and one chap sells power from his little wind turbine which is near the market.

Having said that, I may make one of the tiles a sort of utility space, solar panels, turbines, seed storage, a sort of industrial zone.

So one of the tiles will be a refinery/factory style one.

The other will be some shacks and the Junker Plaza, which is currently being used as an outdoor holo-cinema:

Participant

Pretty low-res screen.

Actually the screen is pretty good, the problem is the film is over 200 years old and a bit like VHS  

So I made lots of little benches and tables for the cinema area and when I put a figure next to them they looked too small and silly.
    So I sulked a bit and went off Anshan.

But then I cast up some bits to be part of a new release and decided to use them to make the R&R&R zone.
    Refinery, Reclamation and Recycling part of the town.

Here is where I am so far, just trying to think what to put in that other corner..

Participant

Wow, niiiiice!  I especially like the hanging lanterns, that is an incredibly cool touch that lends a heck of a lot of detail very effectively.  It sort of cracks me up a little that the town is so orderly, but it also makes a heck of a lot of sense.

I also really like that circular vat with the mixer.  That’ll look really cool when you’re done.  What about some sort of drying pond?  The sort of thing no one wants to fall into, or hide in…?  Could be part of the sewage treatment, or maybe an alga farm.

I do support the idea of a junkyard, maybe not as part of the town itself (though it would be a good place to build a town next to).  Maybe derelict spaceships or old colonial equipment?  Build it in tiles like you have the town, can be a place where scavengers occasionally tussle, insurgents hide to scavenge materials from to use vs The Man, and where the occasional bonkers hermit girl makes her home (waiting for her family to come back for her from the stars, of course!)

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

Wow the town is amazing. You have done a great job and there is a really good consistent style to it.

My 6mm Wargaming site https://6mm.wargaming.info

Thanks dudes and dudeettes.
    I have made a little progress and will show off once done.

🙂

Participant

Fantastic stuff as always.  Great inspiration.

The best player, isn't always the winning player.

Participant

This looks splendid Michael – nice work!

Participant

Indeed.  Me thinks he needs another couple of releases (maybe between Crom projects…?  poke poke)

Participant

I’ve been lucky enough to have acquired Angel Barrack’s old 6mm stuff, Anvils Gate and Anshan. Anvils Gate is all but done (can’t improve on it)  but Michael never finished Anshan and has left two tiles. One is well on its way and I’m going to add a few bits. A water pump and additional tank. This is were the Junkers pump water from the underground stream, process it and store it ready for sale. The result is a high quality fresh spring water.

Now the other Michael hasn’t really touched, I guess Crom called. Anyway, I’ve been looking back through the posts and might go with Strozie’s suggestion of a vehicle graveyard and maintenance area.

Participant

They’re Junkers, of course you need a vehicle scrap heap!  Glad to hear you are moving forwards and will complete the town.  Can’t wait to see it!

Participant

I can’t think of a better person to take over care of Anshan.

Participant

Thanks Thuseld, let’s just hope I’ve done it justice and not made a complete balls up of it .

Just about done. Mike kindly gave me some of the scatter he used. So that made it a little easier for me to blend in the two bases. However, it’s hard to match it what some else has done. Different paints, colours, washes, techniques etc…but all in all not bad attempt me thinks.

First up the right tile. The middle one tile is one of the originals  which I was using as a guide to try and match in the bases. I think it looks like Mike did some dry brushing to the mud? But can’t be sure the technique used. I moved the Junker shack to make room for the fourth tank, but there would have been no chance of me painting it the same as the other three. So I thought it best to paint it completely different. Then had the idea of a water tank. I added a nodding donkey from Perfect Six and attached a valve to the side of the water tank. I glued the mixer arm and filled it up with some epoxy glue. Will paint with a bit of gloss varnish when completely dry. Just to give the water more of a wet look.

Now the other tile. Mike was going to make a Plaza of some sort. With chairs and table and a big screen. But I opted for a scrapyard. With a car crusher, crane and a small area were people can service their vehicles.

Generally quite pleased except for one thing. I can’t help but wonder if the crane and crusher is too much for the tile? Maybe best to use them in a separate area; a larger area outside of Anshan? Then just fill that area with more junk, tyres, broken vehicles etc…..

What do you peeps think?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.