Home Forums Renaissance Battle of Rowton Heath 1645 (pt1) – A Wargaming:An Introduction Refight

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Guy Farrish Guy Farrish 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Whirlwind
    Whirlwind
    Participant

And please see here http://hereticalgaming.blogspot.com/2017/10/battle-of-rowton-heath-pt1-neil-thomas.html for my refight of the first part of the Battle of Rowton Heath using Neil Thomas’ Pike and Shot rules contained in Wargaming: An Introduction.

Guy Farrish
    Guy Farrish
    Participant

Fascinating, thanks for posting – are you planning on doing part II where the Parliamentarian besiegers get involved and turn the tables?

I confess I thought the heaths weren’t as densely enclosed as they appear here – but something like it must have been going on I suppose for the battle to be concentrated ‘in a narrow pass on the top of the heath’.

Not sure Poyntz suffered so badly in the original as he did in your Polemos fight. It seems to have been a charge which overwhelmed the first Royalist ‘line’ in the road and then the reserves at the head of the lane repulsed Poyntz and there was a stand off skirmishing.

I think the problem with the Thomas rules for me is the disappearance of so many units at the end when in the next phase (spoiler alert!) they are still there and the Parliamentarian horse meet up with the horse and musketeers from the siege. If there had been no-one to reinforce the siege would have been lifted.

An indecisive result (poor game probably) is probably the likeliest (and historical) result for this phase. (probably as a result of the terrain for the troops contesting the field).

Great to see it done and most thought provoking.

Thanks!

Whirlwind
    Whirlwind
    Participant

Thanks very much for that Guy.  Doing Rowton Heath has been “on the list” for years but it is so hard to work out where to start.  Although in general I like Terry Wise’s scenarios, it just wasn’t that clear how to actually lay on a game.  But when I found the scenarios in Wargames Illustrated 29 and combined the two, the thing became workable.  The key to the set-up was working out that, as you say and as the second article makes clear, there had to be some kind of enclosed areas at the point where the first encounter took place.  Polemos did a really good job of simulating the historical events actually – Poyntz could get through some of the enclosed area but there was no way of punching through, so didn’t make much effort trying.  As you say, the Neil Thomas’ rules always look like a bloodbath! Although in reality, what we are seeing represented is the temporary total loss of combat efficiency, rather than anything about losses per se.

And yes, the game of “Act Two” is played, the report will be along shortly…

Guy Farrish
    Guy Farrish
    Participant

Good news!

Looking forward to it.

You are right of course – as long as there is a mechanism for returning the ‘disappeared’ units to the fray after round 1 of the Neil Thomas game, it doesn’t matter that it looks like carnage! I suppose my concern would be, if you were somehow playing the entire action straight through, how the Thomas rules could cope with that without making the  first bit of the action more decisive than it was.

Still, in this case it won’t matter, as round 2 will be a fresh set up (will it? Wait and see I guess).

Perhaps the first phase is just one of those fights that however essential just doesn’t make a great ‘game’ if it follows reality too closely. Which is a shame because as you said the Polemos rules did a pretty good job in allowing history to ‘work’.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.