Home Forums Renaissance Battle of Rowton Heath 1645 (pt2) – A Polemos ECW Refight

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Please see here for a re-fight of another part of the Battle of Rowton Heath: http://hereticalgaming.blogspot.com/2017/01/the-10×10-challenge.html using the Polemos ECW rules and Baccus 6mm figures

Participant

Thanks again!

Really good – and a pretty good result for Polemos.

It is difficult to see how the Royalists could have pulled off a convincing win under the circumstances – they might have freed Chester from the siege I suppose but the idea of throwing off the shackles of Parliamentarian pursuit and joining with Montrose was pretty far fetched anyway. After Naseby Charles was putting off the evil moment.

Still, Poyntz had to win it and that looks like a good test for getting the right result with the rules.

How much fun was it towards the end of the challenge? Or had it become something to get through? It feels like you enjoyed it and it was great to read the reports and see the contrast in rule sets. So definitely worth doing for us the readers!

Thanks again.

Participant

Many thanks Guy, I appreciate that.  Generally, the Polemos rules have been very good at achieving historical results.  When I come back to them (in the New Year?) I think I have a couple of ideas of how I would like to modify and simplify them slightly.  It has also been very enjoyable to play with the Neil Thomas rules, since they are so easy and fun, and the history only suffers a little in comparison (but it does suffer).

I imagine that in the strategic implications you are broadly right.  Still, a victory or two at the right moment plus acceptable offers might have perhaps led to a different form of defeat for Charles.

The challenge is still very much ongoing (and it will be tight to see if I can succeed and get all the games in by the end of the year!) but doing these ECW battles has been a really fun part of it, it hasn’t felt like a chore.  The only downsides are that the couple of campaigns I have on the go (a Napoleonic one and an ECW one) have had to be put on ice and a couple of rule-sets I want to explore further are going to have to wait until the end of the year.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.