Home Forums Sci Fi 6mm Sci-Fi BOLOs: Honor of the Regiment

This topic contains 24 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Who Asked This Joker Who Asked This Joker 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Mr. Average
    Participant

So I picked up a pair of the new Microworld  modular cybertanks, and they’re great!  The lines are very clean, the parts fit nicely (albeit slightly loosely – note a tad of green stuff to pad a few gaps) and the versatility is great.  They really are BOLOs in the best tradition of the term.  I’d make the two-module ones I got to be something around Mk. XXV.

They’re particularly effective with 3mm scale conventional units.  For scale there are some walkers as well, which will be the main OPFOR heavy units – smaller than cybertanks but more plentiful.  My assessment is this:

Price: very good.  They’re priced about what the original Ogre miniatures were priced back in the 1990s, and are far more versatile since you can build your cybertank to order.  And considering the exorbitant prices the Ogre line charged before finally going under, they’re a wheeze.  I know the Ogre plastics are out now, but still – this is a really beautiful, unique, and very reasonably-priced alternative.

Scale: very good, but scale better with 3mm scale as truly massive vehicles.  Against the traditional Ogres they’d be something between the Mk. III and Mk. V, but they compare pretty favorably.  Scale creep being what it is, they lose some of their titanic feel against current 6mm sci fi offerings, but are definitely still quite massive.  Again, I think they work best with 3mm scale conventional units.

Style: excellent.  They have a low, wide, very BOLO-esque look.  Not as baroque as the lines of the SJG Ogres, but nothing compares to them, unique as they are.  These cut a very distinctive figure all their own, though, and I’m very pleased with them.

Quality: excellent.  Clean, sharp castings, very little flash, easy assembly with only a little putty needed to fill in some minor gaps.  And the array of parts available made building a custom supertank very easy.

Overall, a great addition in a long-absent niche of the minis market!  Love ’em!

Steelonsand
    Participant

Nice to have a review of these, as I have some in the post making their way to me – BUT – I can’t see no pretty pictures!

just blank areas on my cra*ppy (admittedly) old iPad!

is it you – is it me? 

Could you check and repost?

would love to be able to see the real deal………. Or failing that have an excuse to update my antique tech…….

“I need it coz I can’t see Mr Average’s photos”……..

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

I can’t see them either..  🙁

Mr. Average
    Participant

Yeah unfortunately there’s a widespread site problem at photobucket today – some sort of a site outage. I’ll try for a workaround this evening when I get back to my Secure, Undisclosed Location.  You may rest… Assured that they are in fact very nice BOLOs though! They’ll be spearheading ENSPUN operations in the Zaftran People’s Democratic Republic just as soon as I figure out how I want to paint and base them.  The ZPDR gets super heavy mechs, though, so they get to play too!

Steelonsand
    Participant

Ah-Hah! Pretty pictures!

thanks for working to restore them – looking very nice….. And as you say, 3mm adversaries might very well be the way to go…..

Mr. Average
    Participant

Thanks!  I didn’t really do anything but file a support ticket with Photobucket, who were already aware of the problem.

Man it’s always wonderful to discover that you were smart enough to stash extra miniatures from old projects – I found a cache of infantry and tanks that I’m prepping for this one.  I get so few days off, but still.  This is going to be a new try for me – I’m basing my infantry PRIOR to priming them.  Usually I don’t do that, but since I’ve got these nice lasercut bases this time, I figured why not.  I get so few days off I’m trying to see how much I can do in a single Saturday afternoon, since I have drawing to do tonight and all of tomorrow, and next weekend is a big religious observance for me so that’s right out.

Currently, it’ll be an ENSPUN task force led by a pair of MK. XXV BOLO units, with Modular Combat Vehicles making up the bulk of the conventional force with Tank and heavy IFV versions as the main armored line.  They’ll be fighting against a ZPDR Guards Combined Arms Brigade.  I may also add in Mitteleuropean LKPz-VII hovertanks, or a Europa Federation Fast Attack Group, but that’ll be later.  The First Upheaval is back!

Mr. Average
    Participant

Primed up, and with the new basing scheme.  I’m WAYYYY happier with this approach than with any I’ve tried so far.  The bases are thicker than I normally use but I like it – it makes them super easy to manipulate.  I also like pre-basing the infantry much more than I imagined I would, and wood bases make plain white glue and some potting sand an ideal basing material.

Stroezie
    Stroezie
    Participant

Those are looking good, I like the look of that leftmost tank.

Also looking forward to seeing some more of those Kreen walkers.

I’ve been on the fence about those for quite some time now wondering if they would be to big vs my other stuff.

Any chance of a pic of them next to some 6mm troops?

If you like 6mm scifi check out http://planetares6.blogspot.be/?m=0

Mr. Average
    Participant

Some painted ENSPUN forces – Tactical Marines and an M12A1 Modular Battle Tank.

And Stroezie, for you – to get an idea of scale of those ZPDR Mechs:

Stroezie
    Stroezie
    Participant

Thanks Mr. Average.

The one on the right is way to big for me but the two on the left look just about right. Looks like they mass about the same as Brigade models Kirin combat walkers which would be perfect.

Also, great work on the 3mm stuff, up to your exellent standards as usual.

If you like 6mm scifi check out http://planetares6.blogspot.be/?m=0

Mr. Average
    Participant

They might be a touch heavier. The Siafu walkers are definitely Titan-class at 3mm scale.

Steelonsand
    Participant

Stunning work with the 3mm as always – some great looking labels, there too – looking forward to seeing those walkers painted up!

Mr. Average
    Participant

Yeah I like those a lot. I got a handful of them a while back just to see what they were like. Thing is they’re too small against 6mm and my other mechs but too big (typically) against 3mm scale. But if you consider them Titan-class striders against the BOLOs, it makes for an interesting matchup, but with an interestingly different flavor than if it was just supertank-vs-supertank.

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

That Cybertank is pure awesome Mr Average! Really BOLO-like, bringing back good memories

The various comparison shots were usefull as well, so thanks for that too.  I’m guessing that the pretty mechs doing their level best to wreck the supertank are going to be all human in origin, rather than a certain foe from the Bolo-verse?

Keep up the good work! 🙂

Mr. Average
    Participant

An ENSPUN Armored Company is underway.

And if you look at the final result, I added some highlights to bring out the definition of the turret.  I’m pretty happy with the results.

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

The highlights really make a difference, looking real pretty 🙂

When, pray tell, will we see the BOLO in all it’s technicolor glory?

Mr. Average
    Participant

Finally finished the ENSPUN Armored force here!

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

Those are looking great, the camo works well 🙂

When will we see the star of the show, pray tell?

Mr. Average
    Participant

Oh, he’s coming.  Finishing the armored brigade here was just to make room on the table…

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

Horay, I’ve been looking forward to seeing one painted up, they are tasty just as they are and I have a feeling that the finished one will make me buy a pair of them..

Mr. Average
    Participant

Wellp.  Photobucket has gone and acted like my mother and cancelled out all my photos.  And I won’t be paying for that nonsense, especially not to the tune of $400 a year.  But the work continues!  As a reminder, here’s the Armored Brigade:

And here’s their BOLO, in progress:

The ENSPUN tan and aquamarine is going to look nice on this one I think, although it’s at a slightly messy stage in the painting.  So it goes!

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Been a long time since I read a BOLO story.  Stop trying to manipulate my reading schedule!  😉

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

McKinstry
    Participant

I really like that paint scheme!!!

Never wrestle with a pig. You both get muddy and the pig just likes it.

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

Your paint scheme looks super on the BOLO! I love the idea of camo on a moving fortress 🙂

Have you considered using google photos for your uploads? It’s free and has practically unlimited storage.

The problem with photobucket is they limit the DL usage of a given account.  Right now there is not your images, which I am sure I would marvel over, but rather a image of a dial saying you are over limit.  🙁

EDIT: Third Party hosting disabled.  Visit some link.

John

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

--Abraham Lincoln

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.