Home Forums Sci Fi 6mm Sci-Fi BSR Games (Mecha, Supertanks, Etc.)

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Thaddeus Blanchette Thaddeus Blanchette 5 days, 15 hours ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Mr. Average
    Participant

So I’m trying to line up games that can be learned easily, have a lot of flavor, and play fast for Big Stompy Robots (or, alternately, Big Crushy Supertanks).  What I want is for the Mecha/Supertanks to be vastly superior to “conventional” units.  So much so that an army could be built around a single Mech or small group of them, with a pile of conventional units to whiz around as the big ones stride forward on their missions of destruction.  Oddly enough, games like that are strangely rare.

So far, Samurai Robots Battle Royale, Mecha!, and modified versions of Ogre have been the only suggestions.  I’m open to all three, since they place the order of importance on the Super-Units that I am looking for.  But are there any others?  Battletech, and (alas) in this case, Horizon Wars, place too much power in the hands of conventional forces, which can in some cases outclass mecha one on one.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Mr. Average
    Participant

Wow, nothing, huh?

Anyway, after much reading I’m going with Samurai Robots Battle Royale, combined with Mighty Monsters once the Alien Scourge descends. It’s the game that feels most flexible and most likely to deliver the kind of feel I’m looking for. For starters I’m finishing up a second Ronin (an Alternative Armies “Tavshar Archon”) along with some Grav Armor I have from National Cheese Emporium – these will be my initial antagonist forces from the Technical Alliance. I also have some of the 15mm scale Prydian mechs from Ion Age, Who will join a more conventional force as the mainstay of the Japan Mecha Self-Defense Force, defending the city of Megasaki from the Technate assault.

I already have my eye on some of the larger aliens from Khurasan’s Not-Quite-Xenomorph range for an alien invasion, as well as GZG Crusty Mecha to go with some O8 Drah’z as a more “normal” alien invader.

Yet another grandiose plan that will come to nothing no doubt but I don’t care. If I can’t have flights of fancy in my hobbies what the heck are they for?

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Ya, I don’t know of any rules that can do better than what you’ve mentioned.  I have Mecha Carnage (Solod by Gomi Designs) but it’s just robots, no tanks or anything, and the robots certainly aren’t Super Robots.  Kaiju rules perhaps, like Kaiju Chaos?

Maybe Mekton and it’s derivatives?  More of an RPG but can also be used as tabletop.  Mekton Zeta has a whole construction system that allows you to do anything, even transforming mechs, so super robots are an easy thing.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Mr. Average
    Participant

Yes! Mekton Zeta! How could I forget? Of course I doubt anyone at the club would have the patience for it, but it definitely has a feel like Advanced Samurai Robits Battle Royale, and has the scale and flexibility.

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

The Palladium Robotech RPG too fiddly?

Adeptus Titanicus?

OldBen1
    OldBen1
    Participant

Oh we played robot each back in the day.  Lots of charts and lots of dice.  In though, I’m glad my GM was a Math major!

greg954
    Participant

So I’m trying to line up games that can be learned easily, have a lot of flavor, and play fast for Big Stompy Robots (or, alternately, Big Crushy Supertanks). What I want is for the Mecha/Supertanks to be vastly superior to “conventional” units. So much so that an army could be built around a single Mech or small group of them, with a pile of conventional units to whiz around as the big ones stride forward on their missions of destruction.  

I like what you’re thinking there. I’m thinking of something similar and just looking how to interface the big super have stuff into conventional forces. At the moment I’m looking at Starport Scum, haven’t fully analysed it yet. But I think it could work for big overpowered units. By simply cherry picking the bits I want and adapt it according.

Dont know about BSR games so much though.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by  greg954.

Mr. Average
    Participant

Yeah, I’m looking at something possibly like Mekton Z, perhaps using “Mekton: The Movie” with some alterations or scaling, as a possible alternative to SRBR.  But I’d only play that solo – I doubt it’d see day at the Club.  So SRBR is still my go-to if I try to bring in other players.

Mr. Average
    Participant

Mecha have me thinking about Anime style armor and infantry, so here’s something I did around the edges for this: a few prototypes for the JGSDF National Readiness Force.  Clockwise from top left: NRF Infantry in Impact Armor, Type 74 Light Reconnaissance Vehicle, Type 102 Main Battle Tank, JGSDF A-1 Battlesuit Team.  Blue-grey and white with red markings felt very “anime” to me, and the colors worked out with a kind of cel-shaded look that worked out really well with the sharp detailing on the NCE tanks! (Plus I found that National Cheese Emporium has just put out some superheavy tanks to follow up the series, so, SCORE!)

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Yes sir indeed, they do look really good!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

Don’t know how I missed this thread, but I applaud the idea!

I would agree that SRBR would be the easiest to use if you want some fellow players to join at the club, otherwise Mekton Z is a great set as others have pointed out. I would not dismiss Horizon Wars out of hand, just house rule a change to the charge/assault mechanic to keep infanty units from being able to do any serious damage on the big Stompies/Tracked Terrors.

That anime-style paintjob is superb, all you need now is a suitable giant mech in matching colors to fight whatever alien or monstrous menace that inevitably show up to spoil humanity’s day!

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

I like a modified version of <i>Ogre </i>for several reasons:

1) Although it uses an odds ratio, it has an easily memorized CRT.

2) It’s great for multiplayer convention megagames because it ISN’T based on initiative dice or reactive,play, like Horizon Wars and Future War Commander. This means that all the players on one side can move and fire simuktaneously.

3) The rules are dead simple and give an adequate hpgame flavor.

My homebrew version of the rules, Luftpanzer, swaps out the odds-based CRT for a differential CRT, making the game that much easier. You can’t combine combat values in my rules, but you CAN combine fire: each additional unit or point of infantry adds “one” to the attack value up to +3. This makes infantry incredibly deadly at close range, en masse. The logic behind this is that these “lesser” units are painting the target, shooting out sensors, chipping away at reactive armor blocks, etc.

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.