Home Forums Modern Canadians, Dutch and Belgians from QRF

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    Participant

QRF Canadians

New Canadian infantry masters about to go to Chas this week, all 37 of them so far (couple more to add and a couple of heads to go on still!). These are in 1982 pattern battle order. We promised these at least a couple of years ago, when the local wargames group wanted to do a large demonstration game of First Clash in the Bovington Tank Museum and I have finally got them finished!

The eagle eyed will spot a couple of non-Canadian additions in there, notably Panzerfaust 3 and Uzi, enabling these to be used for Dutch and Belgians (and when I add a few other rifles next week should also suit for Swedes to go along with our S-Tank and PBV302!)… and and also a small model of Jonathan Keepers…

Hence in the background, after my visit to the Dutch Nationals Military museum last year, you can see what else I have been working on… Dutch YPR765 variants (we already have the base vehicle with 25mm turret) and YP408 variants (originally made for a Dutch veteran who was in UNIFIL), Leopard 1V turret (works as 1A5 for those doing other NATO armies), Nekaf jeep with and without 106mm recoilless, MO-120-RT mortar and Dutch M113 C&V.

The full range will of course include ground mount TOW, 106mm recoiless, 0.30 (seen) and 0.50, 81mm mortar teams, 120mm mortar teams and artillery.

…Oh and (at Chas insistence) a pack of lawyers to run all over the battlefield!

QRF Models Limited
    www.quickreactionforce.co.uk

Participant

Exceedingly cool!!!

Participant

Damn you sir!

Participant

Wooooo-hoo! When will these puppies be ready for sale? Thanks Geoff (and Chaz) for these! I’m looking forward to ordering them from you!

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Participant

Hopefully the infantry about the end of the month, possibly sooner if he gets time. Vehicles a little later

QRF Models Limited

Participant

Well it looks like my QRF West Germans will have company in the line.  The Canadians look awesome.  Any chance you could do SMAW teams for the USMC?

Participant

Woohoo!  Funnily enough, I just created the 1980s Swedish unit cards for ‘Battlefront: Cold War’ in anticipation. 🙂 TO&Es to follow shortly.

Any more Swedish vehicles in the offing?  Mainly looking for battlegroup-level stuff, such as the Ikv-91 assault guns, the upgraded Centurions (Strv 101R, 102R, 104), the ordinary Tgb 11 4×4 and Tgb 1111 90mm recoilless rifle carrier, Tgb 13 or Tgb 21 6×6 trucks, the Pvrbv 551 TOW carrier and the Lvrbv 701 SAM carrier (these last two being essentially the same vehicle).

My wargames blog: http://www.jemimafawr.co.uk/

Participant

How cool are those !!!

Participant

These could eventually make their way into my Team Yankee campaign games.

Participant

Geoff,

Will there also be M47 Dragon teams for the Dutch? 🙂

MILANs are already covered for the Belgians.

Participant

The basic hull for the Ikv91 is done. Do you have a top photo for that TOW carrier? I’m trying to see if it’s just a firing post between the top opening doors, or if the top deck is actually different.

I will have a think about the other bits 🙂

was just discussing elsewhere that I may need to modify these into a specific Swedish infantry range, taking into account an extra pack worn across the body, and the distinctive helmet cover

QRF Models Limited

Participant

Yes just doing Dragon teams here as I watch tv with a cuppa.

Just added the Milan to the AIFV for the Belgians too

QRF Models Limited

Participant

Did you spot the KB figure?

QRF Models Limited

Participant

Woohoo!  Here be Dragons… 🙂

Thanks for the info on the other stuff – that’s great news.

I’ve only found side-views of the Pvrbv 551 and Lvrbv 701, sorry.  Precious little about them on ‘tinterweb.

Something else you might consider further down the Swedish line is the geriatric m/42 SKPF APC.  The Gotland (18th Armoured) Brigade was completely equipped with them in lieu of Pbv 302s during the 1980s and they saw extensive action in the Congo with the Swedes, Irish and other UN contingents.  Heck, I’d probably use them for Dutch East Indies Militia Overvalwagens! 🙂

KB Figure?  Wossat?

By the way, my little alter-ego finally saw action!  Thanks for immortalising me in lead… Even if he is better looking than me… Here I am doing my Fred Dibnah impersonation:

Participant

That was meant for Kyoteblue – we have immortalised him too along with a Canadian who helped us with photos of the LAVIII

Just asked a Swede to see if he can track down a top view, I have a spare Pbv302 master here I could modify

m/42 SKPF… that’s one ugly looking vehicle! I’ll add it to my list

Meanwhile just sorting all the YPR and YP408 variants. Does the Fire and Fury rules cover GSR?

QRF Models Limited

Participant

That was meant for Kyoteblue – we have immortalised him too along with a Canadian who helped us with photos of the LAVIII m/42 SKPF… that’s one ugly looking vehicle! I’ll add it to my list

Ah, KB, of course! 🙂

Yeah, only a mother could love the SKPF!  Note that its armament in the 80s was twin FN MAGs (Ksp 58), though it had other armament during earlier times, including twin water-cooled MGs.

Participant

Yep, rules for GSR.  To be playtested and revised, but definitely included.

Participant

WooHoo !!! I’m in with the Canadians !!!!  Thank You Geoff !!! Oh and my eyes are not they were so I can’t make out what I look like…

Participant

LAV III? LAV III! LAV III!!! Be still my beating heart! Geoff, could it be true? When? When will my little darlings be ready? Cold War Canadian infantry and Ultra-Modern LAV III’s! I am complete! Oh! When, when, when, when? Are we there yet? (Sounds of beastial panting and signs of barely contained greed!) Wooooo-hoo! Life is look’in rosey!

Cheers Geoff and good on ya mate. You’ve made my day!

Rod Robertson.

Participant

Come on Rod, you can get a 15mm kyoteblue with the Canadians !!!

Participant

Come on Rod, you can get a 15mm kyoteblue with the Canadians !!!

And a 15mm Jemima Fawr with the British! 🙂

Participant

WooHoo !!!!

Participant

Kyoteblue figures are fine, but having lived in Bristol for a time, angry Welsh women alarm me greatly. Would a Jemima Fawr figure represent an oddly dressed Amazon from 18th Century Wales or a modern-day Air Force reservist with a seriuos lead addiction and an encyclopaedic knowledge of matters military? As to the Kyoteblue Canuck, I looked hard at the posted originals and could not spot him at all. But at one point he did hale from Canadian County so he is welcome into “Club Eh?” anytime. I mean if we let reprobates like myself and that Irish scoundrel War Panda in, we can hardly close the door on a gentleman like Kyoteblue, now can we? I do however draw the line at Oklahoma as we don’t want mad Texans like Just Jack showing us up with their painting productivity and gaming prowess (that and he keeps calling me old!). I may be bald and have white hair now, but I’m young at heart!

Looking forward to the release of these infantry and LAV III’s, Geoff (and Chaz) and once again thank you so much for this. I’m a happy, dancing little piggy again!

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod the Pinko Piggy Robertson.

Participant

The ‘Jemima’ figure shows a very confused, bespectacled 1980s-era RAF Acting Pilot Officer scratching his head…

Participant

Not only that Rod, but I’m about to start work on the Cougar and Grizzly, and add some packs with C7 rifle and Eryx so you can use them for slightly later.

QRF Models Limited

Participant

Jemima… someone is talking about using these for Danes too. I can add some with G3 and MG3… what else do you have on your lists that would be needed

QRF Models Limited

Participant

The KB figure is top row. From left we have two prone gun crew for the 0.30 and 0.50, a prone figure with C2A1 SAW, a figure with C1 SMG (Sterling), then a Canadian holding a rabbit to gunpoint… then KB fully in command complete with hat and coffee mug.

QRF Models Limited

Participant

Yep, rules for GSR. To be playtested and revised, but definitely included.

Thats good, the MSTAR was mentioned/shown in First Clash, so I have made a ground mount version of that which presumably negates hidden units or improves chances to see things in woods (?)

Bug while I was at it I’ve added the ZB298 to the YPR 765 and YP 408 as well as a ground mount version.

QRF Models Limited

Participant

Geoff wrote:

Not only that Rod, but I’m about to start work on the Cougar and Grizzly, and add some packs with C7 rifle and Eryx so you can use them for slightly later.

Cougars and Grizzlies?!?! Have I died and gone to heaven? Yes, I’ll be down for at least 8 Grizzlies plus two platoons of infantry and four Cougars plus four more Leopard 1A4/5’s plus 8 LAV III’s plus one or two more Leopard 1A6’s. And that’s just to start! Now all I have to do is figure out how to pay for it! I’m on cloud nine right now!

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Participant

So while I’m at it… this seems to have much wider generic possibilities.

I mean if I make the same figures with G3 (or equivalent) and supporting MG3 it seems they may be suitable for Greece, Norway, Turkey, Portugal, Mexico and Pakistan…

So what other weapons should I add?

And would you rather I listed them duplicated by nationality, or just put them all in a ‘Generic NATO/western equipped’ category so you can make up your own force how you like?

QRF Models Limited

Participant

Jemima… someone is talking about using these for Danes too. I can add some with G3 and MG3… what else do you have on your lists that would be needed

It’s also occurred to me that what you’re doing here is also good for the Luxembourg contingent, so add that to your list! 🙂

You can pretty much already use the West Germans for the Danes, though they used Carl Gustav and LAW as AT weapons (the West Germans could also use a Carl Gustav – I clip the heads off PzF 44s to make them look a bit CGish).  They didn’t have a light ATGM, but used TOW (again attached to lightweight Landies – a very popular combo with a few nations).

Vehicle-wise, the Centurion Mk 5/2 DK1 would be extremely useful (the main recognition feature being the laser box above the gun).  There was also the M41 DK1 in the late 1980s, which is very different to the normal M41.

Danish militia used a variety of weapons though, including Garands and Brens.

MANPADS such as Redeye and Stinger were also used by Denmark, the Netherlands and others. I’ve been repainting your Soviet SA-7 guy…

Something I’ve mentioned before; we could REALLY use some NATO light flak guns – the single and twin Rh-202 (FK-20 and FK-20-2) were used by dozens of countries, as were the twin Oerlikon 35mm GDF guns and towed Vulcan (the Belgians used towed Vulcan in Mech Bn AA platoons).  The French 20mm Tarasque is also a notable absence from your otherwise complete French range (doubly useful for the French, as they didn’t have MANPADS in service during the 1980s, until Mistral came into service in 1990).  Every option of Soviet flak is available, but nothing for NATO.  Also really useful for Argentines in the Falklands – the Oerlikon and flak guns were heavily engaged at Goose Green.

Participant

You’ll also need C6 (FN MAG) SFMGs to replace the C5s.

Participant

Yep, rules for GSR. To be playtested and revised, but definitely included.

Thats good, the MSTAR was mentioned/shown in First Clash, so I have made a ground mount version of that which presumably negates hidden units or improves chances to see things in woods (?) Bug while I was at it I’ve added the ZB298 to the YPR 765 and YP 408 as well as a ground mount version.

Fantastic!  I was just about to scratchbuild some ground-mount GSRs, so that’ll save me the job! 🙂

For the Germans, they created the Radarpanzer Kurz 91-2 from the old SPz Kurz 81mm mortar carrier (which you already do) by simply sticking the radar in the mortar ‘ole.  Those stayed in service until about 1984 (the last SPz variants to die), when the Fuchs PARA radar recce vehicle came in.  The British Army also stuck a GSR set on some Spartans of Medium Recce Regiments.

Participant

So is it worth adding a few weapons packs to match the West Germans (CG, LAW, Garland and Bren, and then a Redeye and Stinger in both ranges to go with the Blowpipe) to expand them fully into a second generic/multipurpose range?

I can probably add the TOW and MG to the Lightweight LR easily enough, same as we already have with the M131 Ford Mutt range.

The Spartan GSR is the ZB298 I believe, which I am just making on the ground mount and fitting to the YPR and YP.

I have already added the GPMG to the ‘Canadians’ to make them useable as Dutch so the C6 is covered.

Then I suppose I’ll need to look into these AA guns while I’m making the Grizzly, Cougar, LAV III, Patria AMV and various CV90 options…

QRF Models Limited

Participant

Perhaps hold fire on the Garand and Bren packs – they certainly had some units still using them, but they might not be sellers!   🙂

The West Germans certainly need a CG, as it was the platoon AT weapon until MILAN came along and plenty of Jaeger, Gebirgsjaeger, Heimatschuetz, etc units were still using them alongside MILAN through the 1980s.

The Belgians were still using RL-83 Blindicide as their section AT weapon throughout the 1980s, which is bloody irritating, as it looks somewhat different with a conical face-shield for the gunner.  If you’re looking further afield, Super Bazookas were still very common among the southern NATO allies and other nations worldwide.

The Germans and Danes need Redeye.

The Dutch and Danes need Stinger.

Plenty of others also used both of the above.

I think that’s probably 99% of ‘Generic NATO’ stuff covered! 🙂

Participant

I’m feeling the urge to do the Luxembourgeois… 🙂

If you’re interested, they used FN FAL, FN MAG and Uzi, with Carl Gustav, M72 LAW and TOW mounted on 1/2 -Ton Land Rover Lightweights.  Main troop carrier was the 1-Ton Land Rover 101 Forward Control, with other Land Rover types also making an appearance.  They essentially look the same as ‘generic NATO’ to start with, though they adopted US Woodland Pattern camouflage uniforms in the early 80s, which makes them look a bit special.

Their single battalion initially had three Rifle Companies and one Support Company (Recce, TOW and Mortars), though they converted one of the Rifle Companies to a second Support Company, so they could split it into two small battlegroups, each of one Rifle Company and one Support Company; one group to 1 (Belgian) Corps in Germany and one group to ACE Mobile Force (Land) in Norway.

There aren’t many NATO armies that I could paint in entirety (at 1:3) in a day or two… Save Iceland’s, of course… 🙂

Participant

It’s not too bad to do, it’s only 2-3 poses to add to the range. The question would be which generic range to use, or is it worth just adding them to both ranges? (The West German and Canadian base ranges) to make them as widely suitable as possible.

I have a few Charlie G, etc so I can just fill them out duplicated across both ranges, that way people can mix and match weapon types with whichever uniform/webbing style they feel fits best. I need to get Chas to send me some more G3, so I may quickly carve a couple more weapons for him to cast up for me.

Then perhaps I can look at doing the same for the Warsaw Pact, to cover all the border nations, East Germany (with distinctly different helmets), Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia etc

What about the Finns?

QRF Models Limited

Participant

Ok base Canadian range has gone for moulding, expanded slightly with non-Canadian figures to make them more usable elsewhere… Sounds like these should be good for Canadians, Dutch, Belgians, Luxembourgers, Greeks, Norwegians, Turks, Portuguese, Mexicans and Pakistanis… (you’ll be wanting Indians next)

Make sure you let me know what other weapons packs are required (eg, we need xxx weapon in the generic Canadian/West German range, eg I know i need to add the Carl Gustav to the West Germans) to maximise their usefulness. I’m just doing the Dragon packs in the ‘Canadian’ range to help complete the Dutch.

I am just finishing off:

Done: Leopard 1A5/1V turret, suitable for the Dutch and half of NATO it seems. We already have the 1A1 cast turret and the 1A3 welded turret options. Just adding the sight to make the Canadian C1 correct, then will be modifying the rear storage to make the C2.

YP-408 range:

• YP-408 PWI-S (we have, but adding weapon shield)
    • YP-408 PWAT with TOW
    • YP-408 PWMT towing MO-120-RT mortar, deployable with crew
    • YP-408 PWRDR with ZB298 battlefield surveillance radar

YP-765 with 25mm KBA-B02 cannon (already available here: http://totalsystemscenic.com/product/mdiv01-ypr765-aifv), usable as:

• YPR-765 pri IFV
    • YPR-765 prco-B Company Commander

YPR-765 with 0.50 in ACAV type cupola, usable as:

• YPR-765 pri.50 APC
    • YPR-765 prco-C-4 AA command vehicle
    • YPR-765 prco-C-5 artillery observation
    • YPr-765 prv cargo vehicle

YPR-765 with M26 turret and 0.50 (as fitted to the M114), usable as:

• YPR-765 prco-C-1 — battalion commander
    • YPR-765 prco-C-2 — battalion fire control centre
    • YPR-765 prco-C-3 — mortar fire control
    • YPR-765 prmr – mortar tow, will be supplied with deployable MO-120-RT 120mm mortar and crew
    • And if you leave the turret off and plate over the hole… YPR-765 prgwt ambulance (I may add a storage box for this option, as it seems to be common)

YPR-765 prat with Emerson M901 hammerhead TOW turret

YPR-765 prrdr with ZXB298 battlefield surveillance radar

These may then also be used for Turkey, Philippines, Chile, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco and UAE… I may have to add the Norwegian Thule TOW turret, which then ends up on the Canadian LAV III (almost finished) and the Norwegian M113 to make the NM142, which ties in nicely with the CV90 range I am just finishing off!

Then I had better get on with the Patria AMV, then those Cougars and Grizzlys.

QRF Models Limited

Participant

Excellent… Now how to order it without getting earache from OC Domestic Flt… Is there any way that you could change your business bank account name to ‘Marks and Spencer’, ‘QVC’, ‘The Body Shop’ or ‘Next’?  Then she wouldn’t notice it and would think it was an acceptable expense for ‘essentials’…

Participant

I’ll need to bug Mark at Scale Creep Miniature to order me !!!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.