Home Forums Horse and Musket 18th Century Color help 7YW Spanish

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

looking online at Spanish/Foreign regiments in the era of the 7 Years war.

How does “encarnado” differ from red?

It does not matter at 3/6mm but it may differ at 15/18mm sized figures.

“N.B.: Taccoli’s plates clearly illustrate different shades of red used by the Spanish army. We have rendered the colour encarnado used by this regiment as Taccoli represent it in his plate. However, this is not a guarantee of accuracy since it depends entirely on Taccoli’s interpretation and on plates which are now some 250 years old.”

Are these plates viewable on line?

Participant
    Participant

Here some more info Glenn.

From what I can see it is not scarlet. It is a shade of proper red, perhaps close to crimson. I spotted this sash described as encarnado and it is what we call crimson. But I take no responsibility if thats wrong

Wictionary and a few other online sources suggest that it’s related to the same Latin as incarnate and similar words, so crimson is probably better than scarlet.

Hope this helps Glenn.

Inactive

Glenn not sure if this helps, https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=spanish+syw+uniforms&qpvt=spanish+syw+uniforms&qpvt=spanish+syw+uniforms&qpvt=spanish+syw+uniforms&FORM=IGRE I have also asked about Spanish SYW uniforms on the A Military Gentleman forum. http://www.kronoskaf.com/syw/index.php?title=Spanish_Army

yes that was helpful.

had found second after asking but now both book marked.

Inactive

Here some more info Glenn. From what I can see it is not scarlet. It is a shade of proper red, perhaps close to crimson. I spotted this sash described as encarnado and it is what we call crimson. But I take no responsibility if thats wrong Wictionary and a few other online sources suggest that it’s related to the same Latin as incarnate and similar words, so crimson is probably better than scarlet. Hope this helps Glenn.

very much, thank you.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.