Home Forums General Books and Magazines Conan Taught me to Read Again

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

So here’s the thing.
    For the last 20 years or so, I have been unable to properly read any books.

I can start a book but within a minute my mind is wandering. 
     I lose interest and am unable to actually process the words. 
    The words don’t always go in and when they do, I have forgotten them by the end of the sentence and have to start over.

Rule books.
    Novels.
    Text books.
    Even comics.

I have a try every now and then but fail and give up for about six months.

It is really frustrating as when I was a child I read like Johnny Five.

However, yesterday I managed to read some of a book.
    And even now, the next day  I can mostly remember what happened and more remarkably, I can remember a few of the character’s names.

It has been something I have kept to myself as it is quite embarrassing but hopefully I am going to be able to actually use a book for something other than a paper weight or an impromptu tray.

This may well mean I can into more games as the rule books will hopefully be less daunting.

All hail Conan!

Participant

That’s great to hear.  The thing I love about Robert E. Howard is that the images he conjures up are so vivid.  He really knows how to set a scene in a couple of sentences. And the other great thing is that he always starts in the middle of the action.  You never have to wait for the story to get going.

Participant

That’s great dude!  because of your posts I’ve been pondering getting a similar omnibus, but I am wanting the one that has the original texts (rather than the 60s and 70s edits).  No idea which book it is but I’ll find it.

I am super glad that you’re able to read and retain once again!  Modern life has a way of being so full that much that goes in the brain is sometimes pushed right on out.  I grew up with ADD that was so strong I was given “test and evaluation” strength meds as regular strength didn’t help much.  Took many years for me to learn how to harness it, and even now it sometimes leads me astray.  (maybe more often than just sometimes.  For instance, I should probably be working right now… lol!  Squirrel!)  So, I know the struggle.  I hate having to read the same page 6 times due to my attention wandering…

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

It is a promising sign, though I will give Twilight 2000 a miss for now…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.