Home Forums Modern Cornered Wolf (Chechen Wars)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Greetings all, I’m working on a skirmish game for the Chechen Wars, aimed at 15mm / 20mm or 28mm miniatures.
    I’m aiming at simplicity and chaos as the 2 main facets of the game. The game will be about 20 pages long.

I am pretty close to finishing and will hopefully release in the next week, so keep an eye out!

Participant

First draft is complete: 17 pages in total, absolutely no markers or tokens in the game, uncertain activation and randomly generated forces. Rules for infantry, vehicles, terrain, multi-level buildings, suppression and mission objectives / victory points.

Now its time to playtest!

Participant

Finished up some Russian infantry and vehicles, the infantry are from Eureka (15mm), and the vehicles are from Zvezda (1/100), except the BMPs which are QRF. Hopefully get a playtest in this sunday!

Participant

Hey Tom, I missed your previous posts on this – it looks very interesting, but I can’t start yet another period/project!

No – I can’t!!!

well … maybe just a small one! (wafer-thin perhaps?  )

)

Participant

Haha, just a wafer thin Chechen wars project…

Participant

I too had missed this.  I was recently reading about 2 of the conflicts and thought “geez, what a mess”.  Couldn’t imagine trying to game those meat-grinder urban fights.  But now that you’ve done rules….

It’ll be a while though before I can start to collect things for this.  Though I supposed it could be ported to sci-fi…. hmmm….

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

I was recently reading about 2 of the conflicts and thought “geez, what a mess”

That’s what I thought as well, so I decided “mess” should be a core element of the game -Randomly generated forces, uncertain activation, somewhat freeform deployment and random events should help make it so.

Participant
    Participant

Though I supposed it could be ported to sci-fi…. hmmm….

That’s an interesting notion … I could get my penal troops onto the streets … and I got carried away and have too many MMG 15mm SF buildings so I can use them to create those streets …

Participant

Finished off some Chechens: 15mm from Eureka. Some green stuff Papakha’s added by me. BMP-2 is from GHQ.

Wolf Pack, RPG-7 and RPG-18 as well:

Support weapons; NSV, Mortar and AGS-17:

More wolf packs:

Participant

This looks interesting. I’ll pick up a copy at the end of the month. And your vehicles look suitably muddy!

Participant

So what is the units size with these rules, single figures,fire teams or? Do you roll for each figure or as a team? Roughly what number of troops and vehicles make a game? The random “reinforcements” number about how many troops? Thank you.

Participant

Hi Stephen, figures are based singularly, but generally operate in squads unless they’re heavy weapon teams or a lone sniper. Attacks are made from squad to squad, by rolling individually for each figure.

The numbers in the game depend on what kind of miniatures you have available – the forces are randomly generated, but if you don’t have the required miniature you just skip the result and draw again until you get a result that you have a miniature for. Our games had about 20 – 30 infantry on each side, and 5 or so vehicles on the Russian side.

Reinforcements are pretty uncommon – probably only ever 1 in a game, and not all that likely, but could number from 1 to 10 men or 1 to 3 vehicles.

Hope that helps!

Participant

Tom

Thanks, that is the kind of info I was seeking. Now to decide if I need another rules set. Of course!

Participant

Thanks, that is the kind of info I was seeking. Now to decide if I need another rules set. Of course!

Yes, yes you do.  Never too many!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.