Home Forums Ancients Crimissos River

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Temporary like Achilles Temporary like Achilles 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I’ve been playing through a couple of scenarios of the Crimissos River battle from 341 BC (or 339, as some believe) and thought it was quite interesting to see the different approaches to the battle that rules designers take.

Here for example is the Commands & Colors: Ancients battlefield:

And here’s the Lost Battles interpretation:

Does anyone know of other rules that have a specific scenario for this battle?

http://prufrockian-gleanings.blogspot.jp/

MartinR
    MartinR
    Participant

I partly play both those etc of rules precisely because they have historical scenarios! Most rules Ancient rules don’t, or at least not the breadth that those two do.

They are also easy enough to tweak if hey don’t fit your own perceptions, although I am inclined to trust Prof Sabins research.

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

willb
    willb
    Participant

GMT Games Great Battles of History series has Crimissos as one of the scenarios.  The image below shows the starting positions and terrain for the scenario.  Their version of the terrain is similar to that of Command and Colors, while the order of battle is closer to Lost Battles.

crimissos

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by willb willb.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by willb willb.

Yes, Martin – me too 🙂 And the tweaking is of course an enjoyable element in those rules as well.

Bill – many thanks for that. I’d forgotten about GBoH. Interesting to see that scenario; I might load it on VASSAL to get a better look.

http://prufrockian-gleanings.blogspot.jp/

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.