Home Forums Sci Fi 6mm Sci-Fi Deserts of Kharak Style Vehicles

This topic contains 16 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Ali Dogan Sayiner Ali Dogan Sayiner 5 months ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

jagannath
    Participant

Hullo all,

I’ve been inspired by some of the art of Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak recently, things like this:

Does anyone have any thoughts on where I could start on making some of the larger vehicles for 6mm? There’s a couple of bits I might pilfer from Hawk Wargames (ostensibly 10mm) but other than that I’m struggling. I’ve been scouting 15mm vehicles, but most of those have bodies that are too ‘deep’ (i.e. most of the larger vehicles in Kharak have huge tires and ground clearance but not 3 story high cabs). I’m a pretty confident model maker if anyone can point me in the direction of some good kits to use for scratchbuilding. I don’t necessarily want to build the absolute massive vehicle (even at 6mm that would be more of a terrain piece) but I’d love some of these:

which are this sort of scale:

I am wondering if maybe I should scale down to 3mm, allowing me to use 6mm vehicles scaled up, but I’d rather not start another scale!

Cheers

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

Ooooh interesting, let me have a ponder.

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

This any use in the mean time?

LINK

Mr. Average
    Participant

Well, Microworld has just released their modular supertanks for pre-order, which might be a good place to start: http://www.microworldgames.com/collections/pre-orders

But to really get that sense of scale I think mixing 3mm and 6mm is going to give you the most satisfying result.  For example, this is one of my own:

Mixing the modular supertanks with 3mm scale will be like genuine landships.  And the Microworld “TEF” line would give you some good oversized wheeled vehicles, especially the superheavy wheeled tank.

Or the 10-wheeled tank:

Very Kharak-esque.  So yeah, a 3mm-6mm mix would probably give you the closest approach to the visual effect you would like.

I’ve been thinking about 15mm mixes at 6mm, and you’re right that the proportions of most 15mm units would be very tall in comparison to the 6mm units – hatches and so on would be very obviously out of scale.  I have yet to do that in a truly successful way.  Mixing with 10mm scale is similarly possible but the scale difference may not be as dramatic as you’d want, and I’ve never actually done it.  Some of the flatter DZC human tanks look promising, but maybe TOO flat.  The recon buggy would be good:

or the APC – that little nodule on the front would be a good place to put a “bridge.”

But again the scale difference may not be as dramatic as you’re looking for.

Some of GZG’s flatter tanks might be meat for conversion, but again a taller order given the upscaling:

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

oooh what about some of the Heavy Gear stuff?

LINK

jagannath
    Participant

Thanks for that Mr.Average – those 2 DZC units are the very ones I have. The buggies are great but they’re really small – not far off scale for 6mm anyway so not quite the monsters I hoped for.

Good shout on the GZG vehicles – I bet I could put a 6mm cab on the front as a driving/viewing platform. I like the idea that these massive vehicles have ‘bridges’ as opposed to simply a driving space.

Stiil, anymore for anymore?

jagannath
    Participant

Sorry – thanks AB… that Heavy gear vehicle is probably a fairly good shout. And thanks for the comparison post… I already have that bookmarked!

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

And thanks for the comparison post… I already have that bookmarked!

feel free to add to it, the more is on there the more excellent it will be!

Rhoderic
    Rhoderic
    Participant

What a cool sci-fi concept! That lovely, now-well-established Homeworld aesthetic, but on land, and with giant versions of what are essentially ORVs! I didn’t know of this game before, but I’m checking it out on Youtube now, so thank you for bringing it up.

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

Let me second Mr. Average’s suggestion that you move down to 3mm. There’s tons of 6mm stuff that can be used for vehicles then and you’ll even get the biggest stuff on the table as titan-scale vehicles. Microworld is a good source and Plasmablast as well.

OK, Matt, I have a serious bone to pick with you: when and how did you build MKE and why are we only seeing him now? I want to copy that build. Iron Wind Foudaries is the base for it, I presume…?

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Mr. Average
    Participant

It’s a Battletech “Rommel Howitzer” vehicle.  Really stands up and works as a Cybertank at 3mm scale.  However, my dream of BOLO-dominated battlefields is finally coming to fruition with the release of the Microworld modular supertanks.  Could NOT be happier about that.

But to avoid sidetracking the topic here, another few possible options:

Darkest Star Venturian vehicles at 15mm scale:

Clearhorizon “Hura Technocracy” APC (heavier modding needed):

Clearhorizon “Nemesis” scout car:

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

I must say I think this is a exellent idea Jagannath. Ever since I saw the first trailer for this game I figured it would make a cool wargame as well!

I would agree with the previous posters in that 3mm is probably the way to go, considering the scale of the bigger vehicles. I really hope you make something cool out of this, I’ll be watching! 🙂

jagannath
    Participant

Thanks All – hmmm… perhaps I should make a small order of OO 3mm. How big is a 3mm tank – about 10mm?

Mr. Average
    Participant

I think somewhere in that line. My United Nations armor above is on a 1/2″ x 1″ base, with a 1/4″ wide label, if that helps you get a sense of scale.

Incidentally, I’ve been thinking about getting a pair of the new Microworld super tanks, putting them side by side and adding a flight deck on top, to make a landcarrier. Might work for other such things as well. The New Earth line is on pre-order and has a lot of potential I think.

Rhoderic
    Rhoderic
    Participant

The MAATAC Carnivorans from Monday Knight Productions might also be of marginal interest: LINK. They’re 6mm but made to be the size of “megatanks” or “small landships” in that scale. Be aware (because you can’t really tell from the tiny pictures) that they’re fairly old-style “gribbly” sci-fi designs, so to make them more Homeworld-like you’d probably have to file off some surface detail.

I have a few of the Fang Class ones. They’re decently cast, although I bought mine a little over a decade ago.

Trencher
    Trencher
    Participant

Perhaps you might want to have a look at the 15mm Kaamados Dominion Legion vehicles by Critical Mass Games. And while it might sound ridiculous: Have you ever considered a Lego scratchbuild? Those lego wheels look chunky enough for swanning around in the desert.

Tank Polo? God, how our gardener hated that game!

Ali Dogan Sayiner
    Ali Dogan Sayiner
    Participant

contact me via : [email protected]
    http://www.sayinermicrotoys.com/

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.