Home Forums Air and Sea Naval Does size matter?

This topic contains 18 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Brian Weathersby Brian Weathersby 8 hours, 50 minutes ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Rory McCreadie
    Rory McCreadie
    Participant

This is the last model I have done. It’s the “Airfix” Victory model.

He who says he makes no mistakes, is making the biggest mistake of all. Or does bugger all. Rory

Rory McCreadie
    Rory McCreadie
    Participant

I have used “Atlantic Models” 1\350 – 1\400 rat-lines on this model. I had to cut the upper mast rat-lines from top to bottom to make them fit.

He who says he makes no mistakes, is making the biggest mistake of all. Or does bugger all. Rory

Rory McCreadie
    Rory McCreadie
    Participant

The model on the left is the same model. This one I cut down one deck to make her a 2 decker, also I made her shorter by cutting across the deck behind the hatch and in front of the main mast. I made the rat-lines myself. They look O.K. but do not help in making the masts stronger

Rory McCreadie
    Rory McCreadie
    Participant

Lastly The two “Airfix” models with the matching ships in 1-1200 and 1-2400 scale models. I do like the idea of the bigger scale ships for smaller battles. I have some more “Airfix” kits to play with, but I’m going too do more 1-2400 scale ships frist. They are hanging over me like a 10 ton weight!

Be safe

Rory

P.S. the legs behind the photos are of our mannequin we use at re-enactment events!

Volunteer
    Volunteer
    Participant

These are awesome Rory. And even more awesome is the fact that it is still November 6th here while your post date is November 7th. So cool, like talking to the future or to the past in your case.

"Research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I’m doing"
    Wernher von Braun

Ochoin
    Ochoin
    Participant

Awesome, indeed.

BTW did/does anyone write a decent Patrick O’Brien Aubrey-Maturin pastiche?

It’s a weakness, I know, but I read pastiches for some other favourite authors (deceased) such as Rex Stout. I’d love to read more O’Brien.

donald

Volunteer
    Volunteer
    Participant

Donald, Dewey Lambdin and S. Thomas Russell are both good and similar to O’Brien in style.

Wernher von Braun

Rory McCreadie
    Rory McCreadie
    Participant

Try Alexander Kent’s Richard Bolitho. Or Dudley Pope’s Nicholas Ramage. Both are more fun than O’Brian. Who I think is too much like “Jane Austin” afloat and I like Jane Austin a lot! I don not understand why folks think he is so good? His books are so slow and boring. My Dad would have said ” All fur coat and no knickers”. I’ve read all of his books twice! thinking I’ve missed something. It was as bad the second time round as the first.

Do not forget the king of Naval stories, C.S. Forster’s Hornblower.

Be safe

Rory

Rory McCreadie
    Rory McCreadie
    Participant

Hmmmmm!

Why do I write “AFLOAT” and it is shown as “AFLBAT”????????? On the Edit page it is shown as AFLOAT”

By safe

Rory

Ochoin
    Ochoin
    Participant

Donald, Dewey Lambdin and S. Thomas Russell are both good and similar to O’Brien in style.

I’ll search for them.

Rory: this will sound like sacrilege but Kent & Pope don’t “float my boat”.

I don’t like Sharpe much either. It’s all down to personal taste & I belong to the “O’Brien is the greatest writer of the C20th” school. Sad, I know.

donald

Rory McCreadie
    Rory McCreadie
    Participant

Donld,

Thank God we are all different. That is what makes this hobby so good. I to am not a Sharpe fan, but the books/T.V. shown did a lot to get folks interested in Napoleonic wargames. As for O’Brian, I will never understand why he is loved so much!

Be safe

Rory

Ochoin
    Ochoin
    Participant

Cheers, Rory. I won’t try to defend O’Brien. It’d be like me trying to explain why I like black pudding or haggis.

At least we agree on Hornblower. I even liked the TV series that ended, IMO, too soon.

donald

Autodidact-O-Saurus
    Autodidact-O-Saurus
    Participant

I greatly enjoy the books of James Nelson. He’s written a number of non-fiction books (Washington’s Secret Navy, etc.) But also a few fiction. ‘The Blackbirder’ comes to mind. I also like O’Brien… a lot. I don’t much care for Cornwall (the Sharpe books) though I did enjoy the TV adaptation. I’ve been meaning to read the Hornblower books but haven’t found the time, though again I did enjoy the TV versions. Most historical fiction misses the mark for me. The authors just don’t quite present the time periods convincingly enough for me.

PS,Rory, you were typing it correctly. This web site has odd letter spacing (kerning) when publishing a forum posting. The ‘l’ and ‘o’ were overlapping making it look like a ‘b’.

Self taught, persistently behind the times, never up to date. AKA ~ jeff
    More verbosity: http://petiteguerre.blogspot.com/

Volunteer
    Volunteer
    Participant

I must agree with Donald about Kent and Pope. I have read a few of their books and something is just missing. Yes O’Brien can be slow and there are books with almost no discernable action at all, but for flavor of the times and dialog, you can’t beat O’Brien. The Hornblower books are great for moving fast and quick reads. Lambdin and Russell mix the flavor of O’Brien and the action of Forester IMO.

Wernher von Braun

Ochoin
    Ochoin
    Participant

Kent and Pope. I have read a few of their books and something is just missing..

I’m going to be harsh. The “missing” aspect is genuine period flavour. Not as badly as in Sharpe, but the characters are essentially modern men in cocked hats & knee breeches.

Historical fiction is often looked down by the cognoscenti but it is exceedingly difficult to both capture the age & still speak to a modern audience.

donald

DM
    DM
    Participant

I loved the Kent and Pope books when I was at a younger, impressionable age (the latter especially as Ramage seemed to have so much more “fun” than Bolitho). That said, I did start with Hornblower and I still enjoy Forester’s books – one of them provided the inspiration for my favourite 1/1200 AoS model

Of course as I’ve got older O’Brien is my “go to guy”

Rory McCreadie
    Rory McCreadie
    Participant

See David,

I’m still young at heart!!!!!!

If a book gets you and your mind into the story, it’s a winner! Who writes it and what we all think is “No mater”. It is the mixing of the book/story and your mind that counts. They all work one way or another for us all. We are all Naval wargaming or are interested in it. Why? We have all read one, some or all of the books mentioned in this post.

Vol,

Life is spinning for me at this time. Will write soon.

Be safe

Rory

Ochoin
    Ochoin
    Participant

If a book gets you and your mind into the story, it’s a winner! Who writes it and what we all think is “No mater”. It is the mixing of the book/story and your mind that counts. They all work one way or another for us all. 

Totally agree, Rory.

donald

Brian Weathersby
    Brian Weathersby
    Participant

Rory,

Man those big ships are nice!  I’ve thought about taking the Lindbergh small frigate and waterlining it for a game piece.  To be honest though, I’m afraid of cutting into it and messing it up.

Now, I am a fan of Aubrey/Maturin, mainly because of the dialogue.  It’s almost like I’m listening over their shoulders as they speak.  What finally got to me was, after about book 14, I couldn’t see why they called him “Lucky Jack.”  Multiple shipwrecks,  defeats and etc.

I'm lucky to be here
    With someone I like
    Who maketh my spirit to shine
    --Warren Zevon

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.