Home Forums Ancients Favourite ancients army in your collection?

This topic contains 38 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by Temporary like Achilles Temporary like Achilles 5 days, 4 hours ago.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author

We love all our armies of course, but having set up the old Roman Civil War rivals for a look last night, I have to say this matched pair is the one in my collection I’m most fond of.

The legionaries are mainly Old Glory 15s, with Isarus, Donnington and a handful of others I don’t know the make of for variety and colour. Command figures are from QRF, and light troops and cavalry are Xyston, Old Glory, Strategia Nova and Donnington. The bulk of the legionaries were bought cheaply and very roughly painted from a chap in the US. They have been added to (including some that were a gift from Simon Miller), [mostly] repainted, and had a bespoke basing scheme devised just for them. So far they’ve re-fought Munda, Pharsalus and Philippi.

I guess the fact that there’s variety in the figures, that I love the era, and that after a lot of work they were made into a matched pair is why I like ’em so.

How about for you? What’s your favourite army (or matched pair), and how come?

http://prufrockian-gleanings.blogspot.jp/

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

My Mongol Conquest  , followed by my Carthaginian both in 15mm.

Hellenistic with elephants.

John

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

--Abraham Lincoln

Rod Robertson
    Rod Robertson
    Participant

TLA:

As a paired set my favourite armies are my Later Assyrian Empire and my Elamite armies. The variety of chariots, kalapani carts, cavalry, heavy infantry, bowmen, LHI, LMI, LI of all sorts and mobs of levees make the armies quite exotic by usual gaming standards. The Elamites are a brittle army which loses more often than not but looks great arrayed on the table.

A close second is my New Kingdom Egyptian, Hittite Empire and Middle Assyrian Empire triumvirate, any two armies of which look great squared off against each other on the table top.

My favourite single army to look at on the table is my Early Imperial Roman army.

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

McKinstry
    Participant

My 6mm Sassanids and my growing 6mm Late Roman Army.

Never wrestle with a pig. You both get muddy and the pig just likes it.

willb
    willb
    Participant

My favorite matched pair would be the armies at Asculum.  The regimented ranks of the Romans versus the phalanx of Greeks along with their Italian allies.  My favorite army would probably be early Byzantine.Pyrrhus on the left, Romans on the right

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by willb willb.
    • This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by willb willb.
    MartinR
    MartinR
    Participant

My 20mm Republican Romans. Look great and they can fight anyone.

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

Rob young
    Rob young
    Participant

Always Achaemenid Persian. At the moment I’m trying to put some armies together as DBA armies, so my favourites are going to be the most recent. This would be my ‘S’ Range Medes.

https://easterngarrison.blogspot.co.uk/2017/02/mede-dba-army.html

Rob Young

Shaun Travers
    Shaun Travers
    Participant

I have a 15mm Sassanian Persian army I bought back in 1996.  Beautifully painted and one of my favourite civilisations as well.

I used them for quite a few battles on the blog but not really sure of a good picture.  Here is one from the early days of the blog.  It is not a great resolution, but it shows three cavalry bases.

As a matched pair, it is the above Vs the late imperial Romans, my first 15mm army from 1994.  Not a great paintjob, but they get a lot of use.

It is another army from the 90’s that comes third – Classicial Indians.  I have only got back into ancients in the last 7 years or so and have a lot more armies, but none are favourites, although these are growing on me – Late Assyrian, Early Byzantine and Early Syrian/Canaanite.

Sane Max
    Sane Max
    Participant

My Sassanids really make me happy too. I have always hated painting horses, hated it. So when I was finally able to survey 30 units of painted Horse Archers, 8 units of Cataphracts* and 2 of Camelphracts**, together with assorted spearmen and archers, I felt so full of joy that they have always held a warm spot in my heart.

Plus they have elephants, and Lurkio Elephants really are gorgeous.

It’s a shame I can’t paint better, but in 15mm who really cares?

* Cataphracts….. they just make a Pingequephobe very happy. Drybrush silver/Drybrush Silver/Inkwash/ Highlight Silver, paint anything not metal, paint horses legs brown…. done..

** Camelphracts! Even better than Cataphracts ‘cos they are not horses!

Rob young
    Rob young
    Participant

Talking about camels, I just like to get silly sometimes:

https://easterngarrison.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/camels-again.html

Must work out how to include pictures in the text…

Rob Young

Rob young
    Rob young
    Participant

Got it… I think

Rob Young

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

Got it… I think

You have!!

Harry Faversham
    Harry Faversham
    Participant

Favourites are my Greek Hoplite and Crusader armies, both in 15mm, never mind playing with ’em… sometimes I just parade ’em to drool over!

"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Rob young
    Rob young
    Participant

Drooling is good. I do it all the time. Although… thinking about it… ALL the time is probably not godd…

Rob Young

James Manto
    Participant

Late Republican Romans with an exotic array of auxiliaries (Spanish, Gallic, Numidian etc) are a nice matching pair. It’s what I always recommend to novice ancient gamers.

Also occasionally get tempted to do middle Empire Romans and Sassanids with A&A figures. Someday the temptation will strike at the same time that I have the money for a new project.

Mike Headden
    Mike Headden
    Participant

My 6mm Middle Eastern Early Bronze Age armies – mainly Rapier and Baccus minis with a few odds and sods thrown in from other manufacturers, especially for shipping and siege stuff.

Sumerians, Old Kingdom Egyptians, Desert Nomads, Hill Tribes, Melukkhans and Elamites … so far.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!

Rod Robertson
    Rod Robertson
    Participant

Elamites Rock! Schwing! (Loud air-guitar riff here).

Oh, please excuse my outburst. Sometimes I’m just not in control.

Cheers and good Bronze Age gaming.

Rod Robertson.

A Lot of Gaul
    A Lot of Gaul
    Participant

My favorites are a matched pair of Caesarian Late Republican Romans and Early German Suebi led by Ariovistus. Both are comprised of 18mm figures, 90% by Blue Moon plus 10% Xyston foot skirmishers, and recently rebased for Swordpoint.

VENTOSA VIRI RESTABIT

Nic Wright
    Nic Wright
    Participant

My 6mm Seleukid’s for sure!

Pikemen, elephants, chariots, camels, colourful national contingents, lots of heavy cavalry – what’s not to like! 

Nice variety here, both in armies and in scales. Cheers, and am enjoying the comments and pictures!

Volunteer
    Volunteer
    Participant

My favorites are my 28MM Gauls and Carthaginians

Celts

Cathaginians

"Research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I’m doing"
    Wernher von Braun

Seleucids, esp. when playing mid-republican Romans.

Cameronian
    Cameronian
    Participant

Alexander’s Macedonian and Imperial.

Ruarigh
    Ruarigh
    Participant

My 6mm Vikings. It used to be my 15mm Vikings, but I downsized. I guess my work is also my hobby and my main enthusiasm.

Some pics here: https://ooh-shiny-complex.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/january-project-success.html

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by Ruarigh Ruarigh.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Phil Sherlock
    Phil Sherlock
    Participant

My Lydians and Early Persians, with all the toys, mobile towers, camels etc

Today is a good day to diet

Altius
    Altius
    Participant

My current favorite army is my 28mm Late Roman (western), but this might change once my hun army is finished. We’ll see.

A couple of close contenders would be my NK Egyptian army and my Sea Peoples army, both also in 28mm.

Where there is fire, we will carry gasoline

OB
    Participant

I’ve not got a favourite one but I really like these 15mm Donnington Sassanids.

Sassanian

Sassanids

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by  OB.

OB
    http://withob.blogspot.co.uk/

durecellrabbit
    durecellrabbit
    Participant

I’ve just started getting into ancients so my favourite army is also my first army, Sassanid Persia.

Usagitsuki
    Usagitsuki
    Participant

Macedonian Successor. It’s hard to beat the visual impact of massed pikes, and Xyston figures are fantastic. Love the army even though those pikes draw blood virtually every time I use them.

"It takes a brave man not to be a hero in the Red Army" - Josef Stalin (attrib.)

Guy Farrish
    Guy Farrish
    Participant

That is absolutely stunning!

I love pikes.

Don’t know why, I usually lose with them, but I still love them.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by Guy Farrish Guy Farrish.

Chris Pringle
    Participant

my growing 6mm Late Roman Army.

How long until they are 7mm?  

Ochoin
    Ochoin
    Participant

The Hittite Empire:

[/url]

I think the Bronze Age has a great appeal: who couldn’t love chariots?

[/url]

The core of the army comes from ‘Great Hatti’ but there are contingents from the Shasu, Sea Peoples, Mitanni.

[/url]

This means the basing is a bit schizoid: both desert & more temperate. They fight both my NKE army (& usually win) & my Mycenaean army (& mostly lose).

[/url]

The controversial Shasu scouts are mounted.

I believe their great enemies, the Egyptians, nicknamed the Hittites the “girly-boys” in reference to their long locks. Not very PC but it is a label they wear with pride as they drive over hordes of Egyptian archers.

donald

donald

Ochoin
    Ochoin
    Participant

[/url]

zippyfusenet
    Participant

Great looking game, Ochoin. What rules are you using, and what are the colored markers for?

You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Autodidact-O-Saurus
    Autodidact-O-Saurus
    Participant

That is indeed a good looking game. Is the ground cloth a home made or bought item? It looks nice and arid.

Self taught, persistently behind the times, never up to date. AKA ~ jeff
    More verbosity: http://petiteguerre.blogspot.com/

Ochoin
    Ochoin
    Participant

Great looking game, Ochoin. What rules are you using, and what are the colored markers for?

Field of Glory.

That is indeed a good looking game. Is the ground cloth a home made or bought item? It looks nice and arid.

We make nearly all our own stuff. The cloth is canvas.

donald

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Great job on the drop cloth.

That’s inspiring stuff, folks!

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.