Home Forums Modern Flytrap Factory 15mm Modern US Marines, 2nd Go

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by telzy amber telzy amber 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Just Jack
    Participant

All,

A few years ago I’d bought some Flytrap Factory Modern US Marines.  I really loved the figures, but I tried to make them some kind of Ultramodern and screwed them all up.  That is, I tried to paint them in a Multicam uniform, but then I didn’t like the colors I used, and they didn’t really match anything I had going on gaming wise.  Not a bad paintjob, just wasn’t what I was looking for.  So I sold them off on TMP and moved on with life.  But earlier this year I found myself back on Flytrap’s web page, staring at them, and when I decided to buy Anton’s new (at the time) Royal Marines, I couldn’t help but throw in for some more of the US Marines.

The entire group, twenty Marines.  These guys are done up as MARSOC operators, in temperate uniform and basing.  I have a (mostly) matching set done up for the desert.  The uniforms are simple, just plain green flightsuits and helmets with no cover, Coyote Brown body armor and gear, yellow boots, gloves, and goggles.  On the left shoulder you can see I tried to paint up a Raider patch.  I did my standard variation of three different flesh tones.

Closeup of a SAW gunner, one of my favorite sculpts.  To see a bunch more photos, please check the blog at:
    http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2017/09/flytrap-factory-15mm-modern-us-marines_13.html

Well, that’s the force you’re seeing for the good guys in Operation Currahee, need to post up the bad guys, some East Germans from Battlefront.

V/R,
    Jack

Victoria Dickson
    Victoria Dickson
    Participant

Your painting on those is superb.  I like the chunkier figures best, odd them having two different styles in the same range.

Stupid question of the week time, do left handed soldiers get left handed weapons?  Showing my ignorance here, but I sort of assume the safety and fire selector thingy would be where a right handed person would find it convenient, and when shell casings get ejected they’d go in a certain direction again designed for a right handed user?  Maybe the same for releasing a magazine and inserting a new one (I really don’t know much about modern weapons, sorry).

The same would seem to go for bolt action rifles, come to think of it.

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Great paint jobs Jack.

Just Jack
    Participant

Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

Vicki – Sorry, no left-handed weapons I ever saw, lefties just have to make do.  Having said that, most (maybe all?) open-bolt machine guns can be converted to left-hand (belt running in from the right), though it seems like it was a pretty painful process.  I know it can be done with a lot of machine guns (I saw it done with an M-60), but I’m not sure how difficult it was to do; like I said, it seemed like a pain in the butt, but I didn’t pay too much attention as I’m right-handed.

V/R,
    Jack

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Looks really good man!  Your forces are expanding exponentially, awesomeness!

A friend told me the M249 can’t be switched to lefty, mostly due to the ammo boxes.  He is a lefty and hated his M-4s setup (2003 era) as it would occasionally flip brass down his own collar!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Just Jack
    Participant

Darby,

Like I said, I’m sure the feed mechanism and brass deflector can be switched around, but you’re right, the drums wouldn’t match up.  I’m sure somewhere in the US supply system there are left-handed drums, but probably no human has actually seen one 😉  I knew quite a few lefties that switched over and shot right-handed because of the brass.

V/R,
    Jack

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

There’s actually a joke about REMFs, left handed weapons, hand lotion, and the internet from a friends Afghanistan deployments but it is far too bad taste to post.  

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

telzy amber
    telzy amber
    Participant

The Austrian Aug comes with right and left handed bolts. A plastic tab is moved to the appropriate slot, blocking one and opening the other.

I believe the French FAMAS bullpup has a similar system but I don’t know if both bolts are issued or if they are a one off issued to the user. I think the later.

The British SA80 was originally to be able to change but that was dropped as too expensive so it’s right handed only.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.