Home Forums WWII FOW 4.0 Rules.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I got my free ( owned 3rd Ed.) FOW 4.0 rules this after noon along with the 1942/1943 rule book (25.00 US.)  not had time to read thru them but as I do, I will post my thoughts, feel free to jump in with your thoughts as well.

Participant

I like all the changes, for the most part. Not sure if its enough to get me back into the “Flames of War community” but its a nice step. For the most part its the same game. same as v2 to v3.

Richmond, VA. Let's play!

Participant

It is the same game engine, I do like some of the changes , still hate Hens and Chicks for the Soviets.

Participant

First V 4 game yesterday, made mistakes and didn’t check formation morale…the unit cards are only in the new product boxes , which sucks for me as I already have tons of armies.

Participant

I’m okay with them.  I admit that I like Flames of War for the Tournament scene, and Battlefront does produce quality products that I like to support, so as long as rules are fun and playable in a tournament setting I’m good to go.

I’ve had a few V4 Late War games and am doing some MW gaming today with a friend… we’ll see how it goes!

Clay

Participant

For me it’s not the changes it’s the buying of books and cards that is off putting…I still have V 1   books !!!

Participant

Still have not gotten to play V 4 , don’t have the extra money to buy every thing all over again.

Participant

Sorry, but anything with this kind of marketing model – continual ‘update’ versions, new unit cards that must be bought to fit in with the ‘new’ version, ‘support’ packages that change with a line in the new rules and become obsolete – isn’t what I want from wargaming. If there are genuine improvements that emerge from a wider use than the play testing and they don’t necessitate buying afresh a whole swathe of extraneous material that you shouldn’t need to buy in the first place, that’s fine.

But most of this strikes me as churn to generate more money. Fine if you are happy with that market model, but for me I’m not looking for the Holy Grail of the perfect rule set, and I’ll happily play a ‘flawed’ game, mod it myself if needs be, or write my own rather than pay hundreds of pounds/dollars to someone who should presumably have got this right the first time?

I appreciate that if you have version 3, version 4 is free – good job – but if you need to acquire new cards etc for stuff you already have that is a pain, at the least.

Participant

I’ve decided to stick with V3 but add the gun saves from V4 , it makes for a better infantry game. Never cared for big sexy Tanks.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.