Home Forums Ancients Further Refights of the Sambre: Polemos & Neil Thomas

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Please see here for another re-fight of the Battle of the Sambre using the Polemos SPQR rules

And here using the rules in Neil Thomas’ Wargaming: An Introduction

Participant

Great reports – thanks for sharing.

Participant

I’ve likewise really enjoyed these, your game notes particularly. In a sense the games are probably only reflecting reality, as the Gauls probably didn’t have much of a chance against the legions in a stand up fight without some other factor involved, whether it be terrain, surprise, numbers, etc. If nothing else it’s a chance to collect hordes of colourful Gauls!

The gamer in me has to ask: did you find one set more fun to play than the other?

Participant

Many thanks, Rhys.

The gamer in me has to ask: did you find one set more fun to play than the other?

Gone Fishing – that is very difficult to answer.  I am going to give it a try when I get to blogging about the end of the 10×10 challenge.

However, my two instant reactions are firstly that I enjoy the beginning of games with W:AI much more, since they are so simple – and I enjoy the end of games with SPQR, since they tend to be more finely balanced, I can often see how the W:AI games are going to turn out when everyone gets committed; and secondly, the Neil Thomas rules give a uniformly good game, whereas Polemos SPQR veers between so annoying I need to give up and/or take a break and exceptionally exciting and insightful.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.