Home Forums General Board Games and Card Games Games like Advanced Heroquest

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

What games are out there like Advanced Heroquest from back in the day?

Fairly simple. Co-op. Suitable for a bright six year old to play?

Participant

I don’t know of any wargames, but Forbidden Island fits otherwise.

Military history author

Participant

I started playing a simplified version of Warhammer Quest (mostly a simpler combat mechanism) with my 5 yo and 7 yo.  We are still playing the  game every now and then and they are 7 and 9 now.  But a recent game I picked up was Zombicide.  I have zero interest in zombies, my 7 yo son loves them and loves the game. “Best game ever” was one comment.  He cannot sit down while playing and jumps up and down.  It is a co-op games with figures with simple mechanics.  I only have the first game but know there are lots of expansions.  Games are 1 to 1.5 hours. I asked around and some other of my friends play it with their children too.  I would have never thought of it but my son saw it second hand when we were wandering around.

Just my example and it may not be up your alley though!

Keymaster

I looked at Zombicide but it is too graphic really for what I want her to see.

Does Warhammer Quest have a co-op play where her and I can play against the dungeon?

Participant
    Participant

WarhammerQuest is pure co-op play against the dungeon.  You play a character (barbarian, dwarf, elf or wizard) and delve the dungeon fighting monsters and gaining treasure on the way to the final showdown.  You do not need four – we usually play with three characters but you will need to tone down the number of monsters that appear.

I do have a post on my blog with the simpler combat rules and an example of play:

http://shaun-wargaming-minis.blogspot.com.au/2014/08/warhammer-quest-simplified-with-my.html

Apologies Mike  – I would have posted earlier if I had rememebered to subscribe/be notified on this topic 🙁

Keymaster

pinging this for more suggestions.

I may end up buying a second hand ADHQ..

Participant

My daughter and I had a lot of fun playing Zombie Kidz Evolution and Zombie Teenz Evolution when she was younger.  They’re very much board games but have a nice legacy mechanic which introduces new rules slowly.

You could take a look at the recently re-released Heroquest which looks nice (albeit a bit pricey for me).  Trying to find Advanced Heroquest 2nd hand at a reasonable price might be a challenge though.

If you want to go full wargame I’d recommend Rangers of Shadow Deep, I played that with a seven year old and she was fine although it does involve losing characters which we handwaved with KO rather than death as she tended to get quite attached to her various henchmen.

Death to all fanatics!

Keymaster

Oh, I should update the OP I guess.
    No longer for a 6 year old, or indeed a 12 year old.

For adults now.

I found a used copy of ADHQ, it is the same price as a new board game of similar style.
    But has the advantage of knowing I like it, the disadvantage of being battered..

Does HQ have an experience system though?

Participant

Mice and Mystics might fit the bill.

The players are a group of royal advisers ensorcelled into mice who have to fight/ sneak their way through the castle fighting rats, bugs and a millipede to thwart an evil plot. Cheese is an important resource!

There are a couple of expansions, iirc.

Cutesy but fun.

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Participant

Does HQ have an experience system though?

Sort of.  It is conceptually similar to early D&D: you convert treasure into being better by buying training.

Keymaster

oooh that may work. I will investigate, ta.

Participant

On the broader subject, THW 2-Hour Dungeon Crawl does the same sort of thing…

Participant

I haven’t played Advanced Heroquest so I don’t know how similar it is but Gloomhaven might be worth looking at.  It’s a co-operative game and I find it quite addictive.  However, it is quite a complicated game to run so if you do play it I recommend getting the Gloomhaven Helper app while it is still available: http://en.esotericsoftware.com/gloomhaven-helper

Also, now that you are looking for a game for adults, I will re-recommend Shaun Travers’s Zombicide recommendation.  It is a fun game, especially if you play one of the campaigns.

On the downside both games are expensive and you need a lot of storage space  for them (and in the case of Gloomhaven a strong back to pick up the box in the first place).

Keymaster

Gloomhaven strikes me as too complicated for a boardgame and not detailed enough for an RPG. so falls short.

ADHQ was great as you loot dungeons and use the gold to buy equipment, potions, spells, hire mercenaries to do the dirty work and of course, train and increase your skills/stats.
    It was for my money the right balance between boardgame and RPG.

Just after fantasy type games thanks peeps.

Participant

Have you considered Descent from  FFG?  I haven’t played the latest edition but had a lot of fun with the previous version.  I suspect like most FFG games it may suffer form a high price point and interminable expansions but you may be able to pick up the previous edition cheaper?

Death to all fanatics!

Participant

I have a copy of Descent 2nd Edition that I am thinking of selling.  it is unused – just opened but I never got around to playing it…

Mike

Participant

Boardgamegeek has a number of geeklists and discussions that focus on the genre of dungeon crawl.

Participant

It really depends what you’re looking for:

– dungeon exploration game?

– dungeon tactical combat game?

– dungeon character advancement game?

– …

Not all dungeon crawl boardgames focus on the same aspects, and it’s hard to combine them all together.

Participant

I can throw in Bardsung though at the retail price I think it is a bit much….a good narrative driven dungeon crawl though some state that there is not enough variety in the game so that may be worth thinking about.

Zombicide is fun but not deep, and does not scale that well. You can play solo and that’s good, but if you have the wrong number of players it can be hard to find a mission or quest.

Participant

Uuummm…. perhaps you could borrow a scenario engine from somewhere else for your own Burning Sands?  Or convert BS to a dungeon format?  Shouldn’t be difficult at all for ya!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

Have you played the game Dungeon?  Super simple and my kids still love to play it.

Participant

Four against darkness? I can’t remember but I think Pendraken had some simple dungeon rules for their 10mm dungeon…..

Tally-Ho! Check out my blog at…..
    http://steelcitywargaming.wordpress.com/

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.