Home Forums Terrain and Scenery How Many Inches Are Yours?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Noel Noel 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Noel
    Noel
    Participant

How high do you make interior walls?  Let’s say I am looking to build rooms to represent the insides of buildings.  I am thinking 3 inch high walls.  Do you think that is too high?  Will it get in the way of my clumsy hands?

Would it look awkward to have lower walls but some models as tall or even taller than they are?

Noel
    Noel
    Participant

This is for 28mm, based models.  So about 70mm tall these days – accounting for scale creep…

Rhoderic
    Rhoderic
    Participant

In my multiple parallel plans for interior board projects that I never seem to get around to even starting (including a techy spaceship type interior, a concretey underground complex and a fantasy dungeon), I’ve contemplated this issue a number of times and have finally settled on 40-45 mm as standard. That’ll be about 225-250 cm in 1/56 which seems to be what most people define 28mm as being (even though I think it’s actually 1/60, but then again I suppose that with the bases and the exaggerated proportions of most 28mm figures, 1/56 scale terrain just looks better). My apartment has 240-260 cm of height from floor to ceiling, which I reckon is fairly typical for residential spaces of the relatively modest variety. Obviously most non-residential spaces tend to have much higher ceilings, but for now I’m aiming to model less “light and airy” kinds of interior locations.

Another type of interior board I want to model at some later point is a “fancy building” type one that, with some swapping out of modular details, could be a section of anything from an Aquilonian palace to Gotham City Courthouse to a Jedi temple. That one may get higher walls (maybe 60-70 mm) but also bigger rooms so the walls hopefully won’t impede gaming and photography too much.

The tops of the walls in my hoped-for interior boards aren’t necessarily the level of the ceiling, they’re just the cut-off plane. That’s particularly relevant in cases where ceilings are vaulted (like in dungeons and catacombs) or where walls may be leaning inward at the top (as is often the case with sci-fi depictions of spaceships). I’m not hugely fond of the thought of a cut-off plane, but the fact that vaulted ceilings and inward-leaning walls would be extremely impractical for gaming helps me justify it in my mind, so I can be at peace with the compromise.

I may make some select rooms with higher-than-standard walls, though. Potential candidates for such treatment include the engineering bay of a spaceship and the central chamber of a dungeon. That’ll mean a complex, “multiplanar” cut-off border, but I don’t foresee any major problems with it for purposes of gameplay. I could be catastrophically mistaken, mind.

Of course, some might argue that if I’m already using cut-off planes, I might as well make it easier on myself and only represent walls up to about head, chest or even just waist height of a 28mm figure. I can, but it just doesn’t appeal to me, for the same reason the Space Hulk “no walls” solution doesn’t.

telzy amber
    telzy amber
    Participant

How high do you make interior walls? Let’s say I am looking to build rooms to represent the insides of buildings. I am thinking 3 inch high walls. Do you think that is too high? Will it get in the way of my clumsy hands? Would it look awkward to have lower walls but some models as tall or even taller than they are?

Yes I think 3 inch walls will get in the way. One way to get around the problem is to use a setup like TV studios. At least one wall either doesn’t exist, so you have access to the scene and toys, or it’s just a line or slight wall, say a half inch with windows and doors marked. If the action needs to move to that side you remove a different wall and replace the former missing wall.

Obviously walls that can be moved are necessary. Or just “walls” that mark their location, half inch or so.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by telzy amber telzy amber.
    • This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by telzy amber telzy amber. Reason: cause I'm dumb
    Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

So about 70mm tall these days – accounting for scale creep…

LOLz

Patrice
    Patrice
    Participant

It depends.

I find 4.5 cm (3 inches) rather practical too.

I make some 4 cm high when the outer walls are 4 cm high too – in old style houses to give the impression of low ceilings (I don’t use thick bases but thin washers for bases so height is not a problem).

For some larger buildings with large rooms it’s often higher, 5 cm or even 6 cm, then it’s better not to place these buildings in the centre of the table if you want to be able to move the figures inside.

http://www.argad-bzh.fr/argad/en.html
    http://argad.forumculture.net/

Noel
    Noel
    Participant

Some good food for thought.  Thanks.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.