Home Forums Terrain and Scenery I hate windows more than i hate wheels!

This topic contains 13 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  greg954 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Grimheart
    Grimheart
    Participant

Nearly finished painting 4 very nice 6mm buildings from Leven miniatures.

But holy heck its excruciatingly boring painting window after window, followed by window frame after window frame!

4 buildings, with a total of 120 tiny windows, 1 building has 40 of the damn things 😱

I used to detest getting to the part on 6mm vehicles where it was time to paint all the wheels….but that has nothing on windows.

When i am ruler of the universe you will only be allowed one window per wall, be warned😁

Ps… Is there a part of painting that you hate or find really boring?

Interest include 6mm WW2, 6mm SciFi, 30mm Old West, DropFleet, Warlords Exterminate and others!

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

Ha Ha, I painted about 40 Leven buildings for a chap once, did not mind the windows as it goes.
    I hate most of the painting process and only do it as the finished article is pleasing.
    I guess if I had to pick a part it would be the block base colours.
    I dont mind the shading and highlighting but the base colours is dull.

Paul
    Paul
    Participant

I hate painting vehicles. Cant stand it, actually. I’ll happily paint infantry, terrain, buildings, etc, but vehicles are an absolute chore.

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

Base paint the buildings gray, do a very dark wash, drybrush, and then just touch up the windows. If it REALLY bothers you, ise this technique to get them on the table then go back, a bit at a time, and touch them up.

In the microscales, no one will ever notice small errors, so really battle your OCD on this one. It’s worse in 3mm. Trust me.

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

In the microscales, no one will ever notice small errors

McKinstry
    Participant

I did a bunch of 6mm high rise office and apartment type buildings with more windows than I care to remember and it was necessary to have varied colors on the buildings thus each window had to be painted in separately. Because I  can be a touch OCD about painting I then had to go back and clean up any bad edges. I was awful but I have no answer beyond powering through it or paying someone else.

I don’t like wheels or eyes but at least they don’t really occur in the hundreds very often.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  McKinstry.

Never wrestle with a pig. You both get muddy and the pig just likes it.

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

Someone will surely always notice something, but should you worry about it? When it’s a half milimeter spill of shade on a building, I vote “no”.

But seriously: paint them to “good enough” standard to get them on the table, then go back at your liesure and clean them up. This means you get to play while you’re improving your set up.

Mr. Average
    Participant

Buildings – my weakness.  My Achilles’ Heel if you will.

I detest making terrain.  I guess it’s too close to what I do in my day job (architecture), such that it makes my relaxing hobby start to feel like work again.  But I just hate it.

I’ve been leaning ever more towards Monopoly-style buildings for suburbs and BUAs, and scrounged up a whole bunch of Monopoly City skyscrapers at a swap meet in town a few weeks ago.  But still it’s just the least appealing part of the hobby to me.

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

I make too many of them in too many different styles. :/

Tim
    Tim
    Participant

In the microscales, no one will ever notice small errors

Ha ha, great response!

(what happened to the like button? May not be visible on my phone)

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

what happened to the like button? May not be visible on my phone

Free trial expired…

irishserb
    irishserb
    Participant

Horses.  I just don’t enjoy painting horses, matter of fact , I hates painting horses.

Not fond of wheel rims either.  Tires are easy, rims kill me, always end up with paint where it shouldn’t be. All of my armies drive around on oval wheels.

6mmwargaming
    6mmwargaming
    Participant

I brought a Artline white gel pen and so all my 6mm building windows frames are now white. It does nice consistent lines and does not seem to be effected by varnish.

greg954
    Participant

Figures, hate doing figures. All else is ok, but figures. It’s like a form of Medieval torture. I’ve only been doing 6mm SF skirmish too. Not like I’ve been doing Napoleonic or hordes of zombies.

Heretic’s fork? Burn at the stake? Rack? Or sit at that table and paint a thousand Napoleonic figures with historically correct uniforms? I’ll take the rack thanks!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.