Home Forums Sci Fi 6mm Sci-Fi Imperial Horizons (3mm Scale Horizon Wars)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Mr. Average 1 day, 18 hours ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Mr. Average
    Participant

So I’ve been building this lovely Space Marine army with the new Vanguard offerings, and yet I still have a lot of the (also wonderful) National Cheese Emporium vehicles as well, which scale differently enough that they aren’t really compatible.  However, they DO have the advantage of working great on multi-unit bases, and as both Onslaught and Vanguard are working up Titan-like mechs, this is a perfect use for them: units for a 40K themed Horizon Wars set.

The miniatures are already in progress – more on that later – but mostly I’m trying to think up corollaries between the HW conventional units and the Marine/IG armies.  With the Guard it’s fairly easy: Light Inf. = Guardsmen; Mobile Inf. = Guards in Chimeras; Special Forces = Infantry with Hellhounds (this might be too powerful?); Recon = Salamanders; Light Cav. = Tank Destroyers; Heavy Cav. = Leman Russ; Light Arty. = Medusas; Armored Arty. = Deathstrike Missiles.  It’s all representational so it’s really just a matter of visual appeal and trying to maintain the “flavor” of the forces.

That brings up the Marines.  I want to make them “feel” like Marines.  Standard Marine units are Heavy Infantry (Represented by O8 Venator battlesuits with Rhino supports); Heavy Cav is probably “Terminators” with Land Raiders; Armored Arty. is Whirlwinds, Light Arty. is Vindicators, Light Cav. is Predators.  But with all that it feels a little too thin by comparison.  I’ll have to play it a few times to see how it feels in practice.

Anyway, just tossing this out there.  Fellow HW players, what do you think?

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

When will we see some pics? 🙂

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

I’d say to try it the way you’ve outlined it first, before tinkering too much. But if you decide to do so, then using the mech template to create custom units is a good way to represent units not otherwise present. Heavy Infantry can be used for marines like you say, but making terminators with transport heavy cav gives them the disadvantage of not being able to use recover actions due to cavalry special rules.

But try it out first and see how you like it. Also I second Thaddeus request for photos 🙂

greg954
    Participant

Sounds interesting, defo third vote for pics! I do enjoy being able to have a good rubber neck. 

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by  greg954.

Mr. Average
    Participant

Although I haven’t done the conventional forces yet, the first Titan is ready for battle: a “Dreadnought” Stalker (a preview generously provided by Vanguard Miniatures!) which is a very good match to a Reaver Titan.  This guy stands slightly straighter than the Reavers I remember from the old days, but is still a great match.  The joints are generous as well, allowing for some posing, and this was also as well because I found myself needing to pin it liberally due to my ineptitude with epoxy cement.  I also ended up with a little battle damage – you wouldn’t know it unless you looked for it, but the left leg broke at the knee, and also needed a pin to repair it.  Again, my poor handling was to blame.  Anyway, here’s what Reaver-class Titan “Superbus” of the I. Legio “Ultor” of the Collegia Titanica looks like.

A really sharp piece, though, on all counts.  And it came with a LOT of weapons.  I opted for a classic missile launcher on the back, with a large arm cannon (probably a Quake Cannon or something similar) and a Power Fist.  The infantry is for scale – the Titans will do double duty in Imperial Horizons and Epic Armageddon.  As you can see, they scale really well and the Titan really shows its genuine size at this scale.

I’ve been noticing lately that, for some reason, whenever I do model walkers, they seem to be leading with their left leg.  I wonder why that is.  Good look, makes him more dynamic.  But always the left.  Huh.

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

Wow 🙂

Suitably impressive, the size feels right compared to the infantry.

Mr. Average
    Participant

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the HW conventional units are designs on the fly or if there’s a point value they’ve been built from? They don’t seem to add up like Mecha exactly, and there must be some cost associated with the Command Resources ability.

Just doing math in my head is all.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.