Home Forums Terrain and Scenery Islands

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Ochoin Ochoin 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Ochoin
    Ochoin
    Participant

I wanted to make a few islands to sit in the Nile for my Mahdist War games. This was partly for effect but mostly to stop the paddle wheelers firing from one end of the river to the other by providing some obstructions. I also thought that if they had mud flats around them, the boats could go aground – evidently quite a common occurrence. I also wanted the possibility of landing troops, hence one side has a beach & sloping shore.

Anyway, here are the first two:

[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

I’m not sure if I like them. I guess they could always serve as rocky outcrops on dry land.

donald

• This topic was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Ochoin Ochoin.
    Victoria Dickson
    Victoria Dickson
    Participant

I think they look really good, but they don’t seem right for the Nile somehow.

Ochoin
    Ochoin
    Participant

I think they look really good, but they don’t seem right for the Nile somehow.

Thanks for your coment, Victoria. You may be right.

I was going for something not quite a cataract but rugged & rocky. There are sections where the banks are devoid of vegetation & the river carves through solid rock.

I was going to do sand on the beaches but ultimately decided on mud. As for the vegetation: well, it does have access to water.

When I do place them on the river, I will put white sand around them to simulate white water. This should help soften the look.

At any rate, I’ll think further & making something else is always an option.

donald

Victoria Dickson
    Victoria Dickson
    Participant

Have you considered low lying islands covered in trees?  That would block the line of sight for your boats.

Just a thought.

Patrice
    Patrice
    Participant

Very nice ..but for the Nile I would rather have imagined low patches of sand with some tufts on them?

http://www.argad-bzh.fr/argad/en.html
    http://argad.forumculture.net/

Ochoin
    Ochoin
    Participant

Very nice ..but for the Nile I would rather have imagined low patches of sand with some tufts on them?

I think you’re correct:

But on the other hand this:

Both are Nile islands. The sand one would be an easy build so I might make a few & compare?

Thanks for the comments.

donald

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Ochoin Ochoin.
    Autodidact-O-Saurus
    Autodidact-O-Saurus
    Participant

Yeah, they don’t really say ‘Egyption Nile’ to me. I think I’d go with a more brownish color for the rocks (even though your current color does match your second picture) and less vertical on the cliff faces. I’d cut down on the vegetation, too. Though if you’re going with low lying muddies like your first picture you could certainly fill the area with low lying scrub and palms that block line of sight.

What’s your construction technique?

Self taught, persistently behind the times, never up to date. AKA ~ jeff
    More verbosity: http://petiteguerre.blogspot.com/

Ochoin
    Ochoin
    Participant

. What’s your construction technique?

Standard. MD foam. It’s rough hewn with a jigsaw, then a rasp. The structure is then sanded. The “cliffs” are created first by scraping a steel ruler over one edge, then adding fissures etc with a knife.

The whole is undercoated, the edges “gritted” & dry brushed. The cliff is painted grey & has 3 coats of increasingly white dry brushes. The vegetation is 3 shades of scatter, sprinkled from dark to light. Whole, once dry, is sprayed with a watered PVA solution.

“they don’t really say ‘Egyption Nile’ to me”

Yes, that’s the point. Reality must give way to perception. I will work on alternatives.

donald

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.