Home Forums Sci Fi 15mm Sci-Fi Jagannath's 15mm Sci-Fi

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Author

Hiya,

I’ve been posting odd things here but realised I’ve left out my 15mm sci-fi – probably the thing I work on the most, so this post’ll be a bit of an image dump of a few recent bits – if you want more then slap “15mm Sci-Fi” as a tag into my blog and there’ll be more.

These are a bit older – general disgruntleds. I had a phase experimenting with army painter dip – not a grans success (I prefer more contrast on 15s) but my palette choice made these work out OK i think.

These are either a Rogue Trader style group or Star Police/Tax Collectors depending on the scenarios I’m playing.

I painted these up without a real concept, just wanted to use that green colour (Vallejo Park Green) but they work for troopers in simple skirmishes.

I’ve also been repainting the Battlefield in a Box ‘Badlands’ range, just finished a pile yesterday, so my desert board is starting to look A-OK

I reckon some Crom’s Anvil buildings (with removable sci-fi accessories) might slot in there nicely too…..

Anyway, that’s all for now – I’m painting mostly for the Lead Painters’ League over on Lead Adventure at the moment, so i’ll have more to add here as future rounds close.

Keymaster

Those sci-fi building things look intriguing…

Keymaster

Ah-ha, blimey they are 28mm?
    As you say they seem just right for 15mm.

Yeah absolutely – you’d be miffed if you’d ordered them for 28mm, definitely. Strictly speaking they’re scaled to about 1:75 I reckon, but with my 2mm bases 15s look just right to me.

The 3 smaller buildings are just connecting corridors, which is handy!

Participant

Great looking minis!  I think they’re fantastic.

Crazy that the buildings are so small for their proffered scale, that’s odd.  But ya, they look great for 15s!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Cheers!

Yeah, here they are with my latest unit stood near the doors

Keymaster

nifty paint, liking the touch of pink!
    Totally see what you mean now about the size of them.

Participant

They are beautiful, had pleasure to look them. Thank you.

contact me via : [email protected]
    http://www.sayinermicrotoys.com/

Sorry Ali, didn’t see your reply – thanks very much.

Here’s my latest group – loosely based on Tin Tin. I’m not 100% that I pulled the Tin Tin similarity off, but I’m chuffed with them as Minis – my overall 15mm project is just to paint loads of characters and individuals so that whatever game I want to play I’ll have the protagonists and NPCs. I’m slowly starting to feel like I’m getting there!

Keymaster

Ha very cool indeed!
    I see them all

😀

Participant

Really nice.  I dig the dude in the green.

Thanks both

Got a couple of weeks worth of entries to add today

My 15mm sci fi is slowly getting to the point I want it – a chast of characters that I can draw on to play out some adventures. Civvies, slaves and slave traders next!

‘iya,

Haven’t put my last entry up

Space Dorkz

Some REALLY excellent sculpts from Slap minis’ kickstarter – I heat tell they’re up for retail soon. Fantastic sculpts, some of the best 15s I’ve painted.

Participant

Those look darn good!  Or are they bad?  Either way, well done!

Cheers! I like to think of them as misunderstood!

Participant

What an awesome thread! More please Jagannath! 

Thanks – I’ve barely painted any in the past few weeks (got a move at the end of the month so I’m rushing to get certain things to the ‘varnished’ stage – 6mm and terrain mostly – before needing to pack up), which has boshed my momentum a bit. Finished this guy recently though (scuse the photos, lightbox is packed away). I’m really pleased with the conversion

Space Adventurer!

Space Adventurer!

Participant

Cool!  He has the look of an ethically dubious space trader.

Simple head-swaps can make a world of difference to 15s. Great work!

Participant

This makes me want to go 15mm. Your miniatures are stunning.

Keymaster

oh yeah, that dude is very cool

Participant

‘iya,

Haven’t put my last entry up

Space Dorkz

Some REALLY excellent sculpts from Slap minis’ kickstarter – I heat tell they’re up for retail soon. Fantastic sculpts, some of the best 15s I’ve painted.

They look so much better when as well painted as this!

Thanks everyone!

@Earther
    – I’m really pleased with the face/arm on belt/hairstyle combo, really gives him the ‘sneer’ I wanted.

@Etanger – thank you. Honestly, they’re some of the best 15mm sculpts I’ve painted. The perfect level of detail to a)get a brush on and b) leave you with a nice, clear model. Absolutely recommended.

Hello folks,

Few recent bits – some very new, some I forgot to add here. ‘Scuse my recent photos – something about my set up just isn’t working anymore, no idea why.

First up, the oldies: a bounty hunter, a mendicant (‘converted’ from an ancients mini with his paintjob) and a giant hulking bodyguard.

Here he is next to another mini for scale (look at the size of that gun too!) – I suspect he’ll only come out in more heavily armed adventures.

Now for some new bits – a space shepherd (another tweaked ancient mini) and his flock

and the first Crom’s Anvil mini I’ve managed to finish, ironically converted for sci-fi

Not sure what he’ll be but I’m sure he’ll be useful!

Participant

Those are wonderful. 🙂

The Monk dude is wicked!!

Can I share that on Social Media with a link back here?

Oh this is one cool thread. Well done!

Participant

Lovely minis, the converted monk is really cool!

Thanks all, they were fun to paint – nice and relaxing. AB – course you can, no hassle – sorry the pics aren’t brill.

Participant

Those figs look great!  And those conversions are really effective for as minimal as they are.

Participant

I have a bunch of those ‘not’ 25mm buildings lined up for a 15mm project that I’ll probably do for MW. I first reviewed them two decades ago for my column in Practical Wargamer and they were small then (when 32mm was 25mm…). Now, when 15mm is 18mm (1/100th) I think they are spot on.

Oh, and your figure paints and conversions are fantastic: way above what I’m capable of, never mind what I’m prepared to even attempt. Massive Kudos, sir.

John Treadaway

www.hammers-slammers.com
    http://www.hammers-slammers.com

"They don't have to like us, snake, they just have t' make the payment schedule" Lt Cooter - Hammer's Slammers

Ah thanks both – very kind.

@John
    They’re really great buildings (though I do wish I’d replaced the cast aerial with brass rod) once you suss the scale. The slit windows are too high, but it’s no hardship to imagine a raised floor inside (to my mind anyway). I’ve got half a mind to do some snowbound/arctic/vaccsuit sci-fi soon and I’d likely get some more of these buildings (though I might try the Ion Age habdomes). Interested to see what you do with them.

Participant

“no hardship to imagine a raised floor inside (to my mind anyway)”

Exactly what I was thinking: I figure with the domed roofs (and the awkwardness that entails), all of the conduits and aircon and so forth goes in an under floor area.

I’ve just bought an airbrush (only the second outing, the last being… er.. 40 years ago) so I plan to try it out on these. I want to do a moon themed layout of some sort with lots of the GZG Moon Grunt stuff as well. And maybe with the odd: Moonbase

Thown in for good measure…

John Treadaway

www.hammers-slammers.com
    http://www.hammers-slammers.com

"They don't have to like us, snake, they just have t' make the payment schedule" Lt Cooter - Hammer's Slammers
    Participant

Fantastic painting on the minis, and a great blog too.  I somehow missed this thread when it was first started.

@John-treadaway Ah lovely yeah – I’d really like to do a moon surface set up too, there’s some great stuff in the Moongrunt range. I did start the project donkeys ago and knocked these up (GZG UNSC light armour with added Monngrunt backpacks) but didn’t really go any further than that;

I intended for a slightly less ‘near-future’ vibe than the Moongrunt setting, but these guys were intended to be a special forces type group, so top of the pile in terms of tech. Hmmmm, maybe I should give this a kick up the backside…

@shelldrake
    – thanks, I’d like to be a bit more productive so I could blog more, but I’m not!

Participant

Lovely paint work all around. Nice to see my Ikwen sneaking in there.

-Eli

-Eli

Cheers @emu2020 Eli, I’d love to see some more tribal Ikwen (spears, bows, other close combat weaopons and a shaman) one day.

I’ve got some GZG Brethren of the New Light on the desk at the moment – a couple of squads worth (I fancied doing some more military-esque minis for a change)

(Purple’s done, few more layers of highlihgts for the grey though)

but alongside those I’m sculpting some alien trees/succulents – This is go 2 at this, last time I used clump foliage and i didn’t like the result so I’m taking inspiration from the old Snapdragon 6mm terrain and sculpting the foliage instead. I’m pleased so far – LOADS of work to do though! Every trunk will have a ‘crown’ plus the odd clump along the upper trunks, and ground bushes too. This one’s about 30% done:

Then there’s these 4

Hey AB @angel-barracks – reckon these would be castable?

Dig the purple.

Yeah easy peasey.

Hmmmmmm… that’s interesting…..

Though as they are they will use a lot of silicone.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.