Home Forums Sci Fi 6mm Sci-Fi Jagannath's 6mm Sci Fi

This topic contains 36 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  Alexander Wasberg 10 hours, 12 minutes ago.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author

jagannath
    Participant

Hullo all,

I normally post either on the ol’ blog or on LAF but thought I should probably cross post my 6mm here really.

Anyway, just tidied off a new Horizon Wars force – 18FP – I’ve been collecting 20FP forces (I don’t like to revisit a painting project for fear of colour inconsistency) but I did my maths a bit wrong so this one is only 18FP!

Heavy Artillery

Heavy Infantry

P1 Mechs

Couldn’t fit the whole gang in the light box, so here they are in their tray:

Whole Force

To be honest they’re not my best work – the weathering is, frankly, crap but it’s nice to have them finished.

I’ve got some ideas I’m playing with for a vaccsuits force (possibly based on lunar style bases) and an order from Angel Barracks I placed yesterday that’ll form the backbone of an SF3D force.

So, more to come soon(ish). There’s a few other 6mm bits on the ol’ blog too for those interested.

Victoria Dickson
    Victoria Dickson
    Participant

Those are lovely. 

Is it just me, or do the man shaped ones look like they are rollerskating?

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

They are cool, thanks for sharing.
    I have just packed your order and will head to the post office in a bit.

Looking forward to what you do with them.

jagannath
    Participant

Cheers – can’t wait! Might take me a little while, I want to do justice to an SF3D style project (’cause it’s my favourite!) so I’ll rush them a bit less than these!

Rhoderic
    Rhoderic
    Participant

Ooh, now those are some cool figures with cool paintjobs! I’d be afraid of going that heavy on the weathering but it does look good in the end.

…but now I can’t stop thinking that the battlesuits / power-armoured figures do look like they’re rollerskating 

jagannath
    Participant

Haha yes, thanks Victoria – 9nce seen, never unseen!

Victoria Dickson
    Victoria Dickson
    Participant

Kind of makes me want to get some just to make a Rollerball game 

PatG
    PatG
    Participant

Nice work. I think you have the weathering right for 6mm. Those quad walkers would make excellent bots in 15mm.

Dan Rayner
    Participant

Kind of makes me want to get some just to make a Rollerball game

Rollerball with mechs?

I think you might be on to something there…

Rhoderic
    Rhoderic
    Participant

For what it’s worth, “skating” mechs are a thing.

LINK

LINK

Sorry for going off-topic 

Thuseld
    Thuseld
    Participant

These look amazing. I love seeing other people’s work. I love the tone of the green.

darthfozzywig
    darthfozzywig
    Participant

Good work. Those big vehicles especially came out nice.

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

jagannath
    Participant

Not at the mo – I’ve got a gang of your Junker tanks on the go, but not ready to show yet… I’ve been distracted by ‘un-abandoning’ some 15mm pulp sci fi ideas I had. Plus the million other distractions on my desk at the mo.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Great work!
    Say, where are those power suits and the quads from?

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

jagannath
    Participant

Cheers – both from Onslaught (via Vanguard Minis). Their ‘not-Tau’ range (Okami Technology something or other?)

jagannath
    Participant

‘iya,

I might not have much new to show but I have been prattling about with these

So far they’re based and basecoated – I’ll be making them much lighter and giving the doors a tint so they stand out but they’re getting there. I need to make a tool that’s a small sponge but still rough for the next few painting layers.

They’re by no means amazing, but I’m pleased with them, add a bit of flavour to the style of sci-fi I’m trying to capture with my 6mm.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Nice!

Something about them remind me of heads of the God Warriors from Naausica…  I like them, lots of personality

jagannath
    Participant

It’s funny you should say that because I’ve got this saved as a terrain reference pic:

and I was just thinking how these aren’t that far off if I wanted to make some like that. I take any reference to Nausicaa as a massive compliment!!!

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

The top right building makes me think of a spiders head…

:/

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

Cheeky plug for myself…

I will do commission work if people need it.
    I can mould and cast your masters or make the masters and mould and cast them for you.
    Just incase that is of use?

Stroezie
    Stroezie
    Participant

Love those buildings!

They would be great for something like the Ikwen from loud ninja games although I can’t think of anything similar in 6mm.

Hmm…    may have to add that to my to do list.

If you like 6mm scifi check out http://planetares6.blogspot.be/?m=0

jagannath
    Participant

Thank you! Well I am working on some 15mm ones too – I love those Ikwen models but I wish there was some more options, close combat and command figures. Maybe some bows or hunting rifles.

I’ve got a few packs of these on the way http://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/product-category/onslaught-miniatures/avians/ to populate this village. You’re right though, could do with a good 6mm irregular alien force.

Stroezie
    Stroezie
    Participant

I just bought some of those avians too but I only got the ones with wings. I’ve got this crazy idea for a cross between a pueblo village and swallows nests hanging from a cliffside or maybe a series of monument valley style buttes.

If you like 6mm scifi check out http://planetares6.blogspot.be/?m=0

jagannath
    Participant

That sounds brilliant, wicked idea.

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

Any updates sir?

ian pillay
    ian pillay
    Participant

Really like these they look great. Never tried weathering but these look great.

As for those building, if they ever became commercial I would buy a tonne of them. They are awesome.

Tally-Ho!

‘iya, I might not have much new to show but I have been prattling about with these So far they’re based and basecoated – I’ll be making them much lighter and giving the doors a tint so they stand out but they’re getting there. I need to make a tool that’s a small sponge but still rough for the next few painting layers. They’re by no means amazing, but I’m pleased with them, add a bit of flavour to the style of sci-fi I’m trying to capture with my 6mm.

If/when these go commercial I definitely would be interested.

Gracias, Glenn (H. I. C. K.)

Mr. Average
    Participant

They’d make great buildings for a Quar village, especially in the deserts.

jagannath
    Participant

Hi all,

Sorry, neglected this thread a bit. Not done a huge amount on these but I am trying to source some weird brightly coloured sponge to turn into foliage – no joy yet though.

I’m working on Entries for the lead painting league over of LAF at the mo – there will be a 6mm entry so once that’s done I’ll post it here.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

You can always buy plain white/ivory/tan sponge and hit lightly with spray paint so you can still see some of the interior base color through the pores.  Of, you could dye them one color, and lightly spray the outside so you get all sorts of tones.

jagannath
    Participant

Sorry, missed this reply – that’s a great idea. Somewhere out there in Google-land you’ve reminded me that there’s a great tutorial on that very thing – then using a blender to chop up.

I’ll dig it out.

jagannath
    Participant

Hiya all,

Well, I’ve daubed some paint on some 6’s for the first time in ages – I’m currently working on an idea for an Ork Warz! project using my custom units for Horizon Wars and some of the excellent Defeat in Detail Skinnerz – the idea is it will be a kind of mass battle-Gorkamorka type vibe.

Having said that, I felt a bit guilty about some other 6mm stuff I hadn’t finished, so got to work

6mm Tau

This battlegroup is 5 Pathfinders, 5 Recon squads (3 men – a sniper, a spotter and a drone on a smaller base), 5 light skimmers and 3 small mechs. Depending on what units I use them as in HW it’ll give me about 25-30P, more than enough for the 15P games I’ve got planned. Scuse the glossiness – my new basing formula involves a glossy homemade ‘glaze’ that’ll get matted off at the end. More to come soon I hope.

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

oooh they are very tasty, nice colours.

Splod
    Splod
    Participant

Fantastic work mate! Looks like a really simple colour scheme, that you’ve smashed out of the park.

What size bases have you used for the Onslaught infantry in your last post?

jagannath
    Participant

Sorry mate, missed this – if I remember correctly they’re 35×25 (possibly 40×25) – 2mm MDF from warbases. It’s big when you compare it to a strip or smaller circular base by I like the scope it gives for a sense of movement and for basing.

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

Those guys look awesome, the rebel pilot colors really suit them 🙂

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.