Home Forums Medieval King Arthur's Wars – Opinions?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Alan Millicheap Alan Millicheap 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Whirlwind
    Whirlwind
    Participant

I recently bought and read King Arthur’s Wars https://www.amazon.co.uk/King-Arthurs-Wars-Jim-Storr-ebook/dp/B01LALXT1O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1506414415&sr=8-1&keywords=king+arthur%27s+wars which I found very interesting, especially on the geography of “Dark Age” England.  I think anyone who was planning a Dark Age campaign would find it very useful.  He also argues for a quite late disappearance of more-or-less Roman regular troops from Britain.  It is only £2.25 on the Kindle at the moment, if anyone was thinking they might take a punt.  For those who have read it, what did you make of it?

OB
    Participant

His history is all over the place and can mostly be ignored.  But and its a big but, he’s a former Royal Engineer and he does get military engineering. What you get is an analysis of  a huge number of significant earthworks that enables him to reconstruct various campaigns up and down the island.  I consider that to be a major contribution to our understanding of the period.   I’ve got a hard copy and I’m pleased with it.

OB
    http://withob.blogspot.co.uk/

Guy Farrish
    Guy Farrish
    Participant

I haven’t read this, to my shame, but he is a fascinating author on military topics – much more to bring to the table than just being a Royal Engineer (actually I thought he was an infantry officer?).

His ‘The Human Face of War is a brilliant study of the conduct of war, and what it means to those (at all levels) engaged in it. It might make you think less highly of the OODA loop as well – always a good idea!

I probably won’t agree with what he says about Arthurian (?) warfare and social development  but I would think it is well worth reading to find out. So I shall have a look at it.

Whirlwind
    Whirlwind
    Participant

I haven’t read this, to my shame, but he is a fascinating author on military topics – much more to bring to the table than just being a Royal Engineer (actually I thought he was an infantry officer?).

Yes, he was an infantry officer in The King’s Regiment.

OB
    Participant

Yes my mistake, infantry officer.

OB
    http://withob.blogspot.co.uk/

Alan Millicheap
    Alan Millicheap
    Participant

I found it to be an interesting read. It’s as good a set of theories as other books on the subject

The author has an eye for terrain and the book is geared towards that. I’ve been on a couple of walks to view areas he mentions and I can see his point..

The title is a bit of a misnomer – IMO it should be called Dark Age Dykes

Personally I’ll stick to Arthur: Roman Britain’s Last Champion by Beram Saklatvala

Alan

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.