Home Forums Medieval Lion Rampant by Dan Mersey

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I received my copy of the new medieval skirmish rules by Dan Mersy today, published by Osprey as part of their wargaming series. I have put up my first impressions on my Blog, if you’re interested.

http://wwiiwargaming.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/lion-rampant-first-impressions.html

Participant

Excellent review, I’m waiting for my per ordered copy, supposed to be out on the 20th of this month,

tension is killing me 🙂

regards

jim

Participant

I have the rules, but have not played the final version.  Dan was nice enough to let me playtest and I enjoyed the games that I played from that version.  I am not sure how close it is to the final product, but my guess is that it will be a fun game.

Allen

Participant

Better than SAGA, seriously?

I have these rules on pre-order from Amazon, but if they are better than SAGA than they must be very good, indeed.

To be honest, I don’t know how seriously I can take a review that says SAGA “trod over the same ground as ‘Dux Bellorum'”

Participant

Aside from the fact that Dux Bellorum covers a time 400 years before the Viking age, it is certainly a totally different style of game to Saga.

I wouldn’t say the two compete with each other at all.

Participant

To be honest, I don’t know how seriously I can take a review that says SAGA “trod over the same ground as ‘Dux Bellorum’”

Or Dux Britanniarum for that matter.  All completely different games.

Participant

I have played Dux Bellorum and Saga and I don’t find them similar at all….just my opinion.  Both good games in their own right though.

Participant

I was refering to the time period , rather than any reference to rules mechanics etc, with regards to SAGA and Dux Brittaniarum versus Dux Bellorum. I know they are all very different games, but they never gripped me as rulesets. Just personal gaming preferences really. However I can see that my wording could have been clearer on this point, so apologies for any ‘confusion’….

I’ve also put up another post with some links to Dan’s articles on his Blog, a preview on Amazon and so nice AAR’s, which will hopefully give more info. Neil Shuck also has a good review in the current issue of Miniature Wargames, which is worth a read.

http://wwiiwargaming.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/lion-rampant-more-detailed-info.html

Participant

I have been reading about these on Dan’s blog and plan to pick them up for Barons war games I’ve fancied doing for some time.

Participant

What is putting me off about these rules is that (if my understanding is correct) combat is unit vs unit, and a unit fights at full strength until it has taken 50% casualties, when it fights at reduced strength until it is wiped out. That doesn’t sound right to me for a skirmish game where one figure equals one man. In a skirmish game (with units of 6 or 12 figures) surely each individual figure should contribute to the fighting strength of the unit?  The mechanics make it seem more like a unit based large battle game rather than a skirmish game.

Participant

Any unbiased reviews? And any particular analysis of the game mechanics? As said above, unit v unit melee doesn’t sound skirmish-like, it sounds more like ‘A Glutter of Ravens’.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.