Home Forums Horse and Musket 18th Century New guy comes with Pictures

This topic contains 24 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Truls Engebakken-Fjell 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

So since all my peeps seem to be here I thought I’d run after them and join too.

But I come with pictures too, From the GNW.

Newest unit, Russian battalion from the Narvska regiment.

The Russian Brigade

My Allied army so far, 7 battalions 9 squadrons

norm smith
    norm smith
    Participant

Lovely and I very much like the 3 base units, both attractive and functional.

http://commanders.simdif.com

Dan Kennedy
    Participant

You see, this is why I focus on boardgames. I just can’t paint this well, not even close.

That’s fantastic work, I love it. Keep it up.

Thanks,

The 3 base units are for Beneath The Lilly banners, great rules.

Here is the opposite side, the Swedes.

This is half of my planned Swedish force. 54 cavalry in 9 Squadrons and 66 infantry in 3 battalions.

I’m working on a 4th battalion now, and got a 5th in the painting queue. I’m waiting for the new cavalry to come out from Warfare before I start on the other half of the cavalry. All the cavalry is Warfare, 2 out of 3 battalions are Warfare, the last battalion is musketeer miniautres/Footsore. The generals are Ebor.

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

Hi, thanks for popping over, is that your own paintwork?

Hi, thanks for popping over, is that your own paintwork?

Yes, except for the flags, it’s all done by me.

The flags for the Allied army is a mix of Warfare and Maverick models. While the Swedish flags are all Warfare.

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

Well it is fair to say that since I last saw your stuff (which was a while ago) you have improved tonnes!
    Good skills!

Ochoin
    Ochoin
    Participant

Truls (Gunfreak) just wow! Exceptional work.

And welcome BTW.

donald

William Harley
    William Harley
    Participant

That’s a fine selection of beautifully painted figures, love the flags.

OB
    Participant

Fine stuff!

OB
    http://withob.blogspot.co.uk/

vtsaogames
    vtsaogames
    Participant

Excellent work. And the Swedes really look like they are going Ga Pa.

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Wowzer that is beautiful work , Dude !!!

Cameronian
    Cameronian
    Participant

It’s all been said already.

McKinstry
    Participant

As the others have said, fantastic work. What is it you like most about the Lilly Banners rules?

Never wrestle with a pig. You both get muddy and the pig just likes it.

As the others have said, fantastic work. What is it you like most about the Lilly Banners rules?

I feel they capture the period better than any other rules I’ve read.

The basic rules are quite easy, you dice for “initiative” so like a few other modern rules you might not be able to do everything you want in a turn.

Then it follows the same principles most other rules use, moral, testing to charge etc.

One of the things I do like is the cavalry, a unit is 6 figure “squadron” this represents 2 real squadrons, so if you follow a historical OOB, then a 4 squadron regiment will be 12 figures etc. Because the unit represents 2 squadrons, it assumes the officers keep a squadron or half a squadron in reserve and do their job.  For me, this seems more logical than the standard 12 figure cavalry units most rules seem to use.  My regiments are from 1-4 squadrons big(and by accident one of my Swedish regiments become 8 squadrons which would be a massive 16 real squadrons.

The only advantage to having several squadrons from the same regiments in the same brigade is that once a game, you can combine up to I think 4 squadrons(24 figures) for an all out regimental charge, it does give some bonuses but isn’t like a super weapon.

I like the emphasis on squadrons instead of regiments. Often feel rules ignore squadrons.

The book might be slightly gamey by maybe overplaying the whole rank fire vs platoon fire thing and the cavalry that uses cold steel to charge vs the ones that fire off their pistols, but the author them self-does point out that it might be a bit overblown in the narratives of history, but it does give the period flare even if they flare might be slightly gamey.

But a lot of the flare in the rules come from tweaking quality of the troops, the only special rules in the book are for the Swedes, they can march further per turn. They can move at angles others can’t and they MUST try and charge if the enemy is close enough. They shoot as pike and shot units not “all musket” units. So as a Swede you are forced to mostly fight as the Swedes very aggressive. As you’ll normally lose a shooting match.

The Swedes are slightly super human. Up to 1709 No Swedish unit should be classed lower than Veteran, with several with the extra prefix “elite” And the guard is well guard(unlike most guard units) Given for a Swedish army you can have 4 guard battalions, and like 12 game squadrons of cavalry. You can have a very powerful force. The rules also recommend that the Russians should be mostly classed as raw with very few veterans and no guard.

This means the game is kinda like British vs American militia in style quite asymmetrical. But even more so, because the British can shoot those militias to death. The Swedes will generally have very little artillery and they will not be able to shoot their enemy to death.

After 1709 the Swedes are more normal again, still quite good, but many units don’t have pikes, they start using more artillery. Their generals become more mediocre.

The rules recommend for the 1700-1709 period that the Enemy should outnumber the Swedes by 50-100%(I’d say in some cases 150%)

Noel
    Noel
    Participant

I believe the phrase “oooh-la-la” comes to mind.

Thanks for the warm welcome people.  And Ochoin!

Oh and it’s Ochoin you all can blame for me showing up. He’s the one that alerted me to the forum.

Ochoin
    Ochoin
    Participant

And Ochoin! Oh and it’s Ochoin you all can blame for me showing up. He’s the one that alerted me to the forum.

I thought you’d enjoy participating in a wargaming forum.

donald

And Ochoin! Oh and it’s Ochoin you all can blame for me showing up. He’s the one that alerted me to the forum.

I thought you’d enjoy participating in a wargaming forum. donald

I do. Thank you.  Now were are your figures hiding on the forum?

Guy Farrish
    Guy Farrish
    Participant

I’m a bit bit slow to the party but those figures and your painting are lovely.

Thanks for the review of Beneath the Lily Banners.

Not sure they sound quite what I’m looking for, but interesting to hear about them

Oh yes! Welcome!

I’m a bit bit slow to the party but those figures and your painting are lovely. Thanks for the review of Beneath the Lily Banners. Not sure they sound quite what I’m looking for, but interesting to hear about them Oh yes! Welcome!

BLB will come out in a 3rd edition late this summer.  I’m both excited and sceptical.  As this edition brings quite a few changes. It will come in 2 versions the one manly focused on the nine years war and useful for the Spanish succession too. And a separate edition for the Great northern war.

On top of that they’ll be realising pdf supliments that will scale the rules to regimental sized battles at 1:5 scale. Perfect for the wars in the Americas. I’ll be using the supliments for my possible Norway 1716 campaign.

zippyfusenet
    Participant

Nice to see yez, Gunny. Top-notch toy soldiers, and I appreciate the review of Lilly Banners. I wonder what the authors intend for North America? There were not many regulars on this side of the ocean before the mid-1700s; pikemen and cavalry were both mighty scarce. I have an interest in the early 18th century British aggressions against Spanish Florida, but the Spanish had so few troops in-theater that they could do little but hole up in St. Augustine and stand a siege. The action was mostly Creek Indians with British weapons and advisors raiding the poorly armed Mission Indians. I don’t know of any pitched battles between soldiers.

You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Nice to see yez, Gunny. Top-notch toy soldiers, and I appreciate the review of Lilly Banners. I wonder what the authors intend for North America? There were not many regulars on this side of the ocean before the mid-1700s; pikemen and cavalry were both mighty scarce. I have an interest in the early 18th century British aggressions against Spanish Florida, but the Spanish had so few troops in-theater that they could do little but hole up in St. Augustine and stand a siege. The action was mostly Creek Indians with British weapons and advisors raiding the poorly armed Mission Indians. I don’t know of any pitched battles between soldiers.

You can check out the authors own blog post about his Carrebiean project.

http://leagueofaugsburg.blogspot.no/2017/07/battle-for-britain-inside-caribbean.html?m=1

Cerdic
    Cerdic
    Participant

Hello!

Nice pictures of figures and a useful review of rules. Excellent!

I know very little about this period and the various wars, but I do like the ‘look’. If only I had the time for a new project….

Hello! Nice pictures of figures and a useful review of rules. Excellent! I know very little about this period and the various wars, but I do like the ‘look’. If only I had the time for a new project….

I started with Napoleonics. But now 90% of my work is 18th century.  Mostly  GNW/WSS. But a decent SYW project too.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.