Home Forums Ancients New Studies on Stone Tools

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

This is pushing the lower limit on “Ancients”, but there being no Prehistoric forum, I thought I’d put here an interesting story heard on NPR’s Weekend Edition:

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2018/03/15/593591796/scientists-are-amazed-by-stone-age-tools-they-dug-up-in-kenya?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20180317

That’s going to widen the scope for Prehistoric gaming, I think– more sophistication than previously thought.

Thank you very much for posting this. I find the study of our origins to be fascinating. Indeed, the last 15 years or so have been a whirl of amazing discoveries. It seems every few months there’s another momentous find.

The question remains that when you look at such stone tools, how much of the ancient tool kit was wood or bone/antler (not as durable as stone)?

And of course, such scant remains can only hint at what must have been a fascinating culture.

Admittedly, I only game back to a fairly modern Bronze Age (comparatively speaking) but I think such posts have a place here.

donald

Not wanting to post links for the sake of posting, but this is interesting:

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/techandscience/uk-archaeologists-have-found-one-of-the-world%e2%80%99s-oldest-crayons/ar-BBKpAVs?li=AA4Zor&ocid=U453DHP

I think, if you had Hunter-Gatherer figures, this provides a case for adding some sort of face & body painting.

donald

And thanks for the link to that interesting article, Ochoin. In fact that, plus your mention of perishable materials, reminded me of something.

Ever since the discovery of the cave paintings, part of the discourse surrounding them has centered on the question of why they were created in such inaccessible places. The various suggestions put forward make sense. But. . .

Years ago I read a novel based on another possibility — the premise that this “primitive” art (it was anything but, of course) was made, not just in caves, but outside them,too.

The novel follows the career of a gifted artist who makes his paintings on rock walls.  I don’t recall if any mention made of other materials, such as wood, for sculpture. In any case, if such things existed, they are long gone, leaving only the cave art.

I regret that I can remember neither title nor author. 

If it rings a bell for anyone, I’d like to hear about it.

If nothing else,  that possibility, along with the body painting suggested by your link, does widen the scope for Prehistoric players to add some color* to their game tables.

*Or perhaps I should say “tart up”! 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-02/indigenous-rock-art-could-be-among-oldest-in-world/6906476

another possibility — the premise that this “primitive” art (it was anything but, of course) was made, not just in caves, but outside them,too.

A distinct possibility, I’d say. So where did it go?

The local indigenous people here placed much of their art “outside” caves. It was kept fresh by artists who’d touch it up when they were passing through. Exposed to weathering etc, some has faded within recent times. In the more settled areas, it was vandalised etc & does not exist anymore…..very little mention of aboriginal art in early colonial records. I guess they would not have seen it as “art”. That would have been the fate of European Neolithic art, I’m sure.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-02/indigenous-rock-art-could-be-among-oldest-in-world/6906476

donald

Participant

Not just stone tools that were more advanced than we believed, apparently.

This looks like it might relate to the fourth, as yet unidentified, hominid species rather than Homo Sapiens, Neanderthals or Denisovans.

I might need yet another Tribal/ Primeval warband! 🙂

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/03/180319220955.htm

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Yow, two more fascinating articles!

Interesting that, rare though they are, a few examples of the antler soft hammers have been discovered. I’ve seen someone using this stone-knapping technique in person, and there are several demonstrations on youtube.

I have to confess that reading about Aboriginal art invariably ends up with me rewatching  The Last Wave.

Sigh. I’m just too predictable.

EDIT: Glad to find there’s at least one Prehistoric gamer here–as a newbie, I wasn’t sure if this particular area would be welcome.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.