Home Forums Modern Operation Currahee, into South Leon

This topic contains 51 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Just Jack 4 days, 19 hours ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Guy Farrish
    Guy Farrish
    Participant

Good to know you are okay.

Looking forward to having you back on line.

Just Jack
    Participant

All,

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it.  And while I’m not all the way back, I am at least partly there, and I finally made some time to type up some old batreps.  So, with that, in honor of Veteran’s Day/Armistice Day/Remembrance Day, may I present the final five fights of Operation Currahee.

Fight #4
    http://cubalibrewargame.blogspot.com/2017/11/operation-currahee-fight-4.html

Fight #5
    http://cubalibrewargame.blogspot.com/2017/11/operation-currahee-fight-5.html

Fight #6
    http://cubalibrewargame.blogspot.com/2017/11/operation-currahee-fight-6.html

Fight #7
    http://cubalibrewargame.blogspot.com/2017/11/operation-currahee-fight-7.html

Fight #8
    http://cubalibrewargame.blogspot.com/2017/11/operation-currahee-fight-8.html

In the overall scheme of things, ODA 212, AKA “Task Force Dusty” (which is a joke, a shortening of the military term ‘dust-off,’ which is the nickname given to medical evacuation helicopters and/or the act of conducting a MEDEVAC) accomplished its mission of securing Gambala and its key bridge, neutralizing enemy forces in the area, and holding its positions until relieved by Cuban follow-on forces landed by sea.  The detachment doesn’t have much time to relax; following their relief they have been tasked by Brigadier Habanera to move out of I Corps up to the DMZ in support of offensive operations to eject the FSNL Army from South Leon. Task Force Dusty’s mission will be to conduct long range reconnaissance, surgical strikes, interdiction, and to call in precision fires on FSNL headquarters, communications centers, and troop formations in support of Task Force Hammer’s mechanized and airmobile offensive operations striking north.

So, I want to get to that, but I also need to fight out some actions involving Task Force Hawk, which is Lt Espinale’s E Company, 6th Para Battalion, which also parachuted into South Leon on the  night of 26/27 July 1990.  So stay tuned, something is coming right up.  Oh, and I’ve got some WWII Dutch East Indies stuff to post, too.

V/R,
    Jack

Victoria Dickson
    Victoria Dickson
    Participant

Welcome partly back, looks like I have a lot of reading to do tomorrow. 🙂

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Hey Jack, good to have you back!  I’m getting into The Pikemans Lament rules to finally get around to doing Pike and Shotte! Er, I already have an Ottoman Turkish army from my DBM days, so some new troops and rebasing some old ones.

Victoria Dickson
    Victoria Dickson
    Participant

Do you appreciate we’ve been hanging around this thread for a month so we can reply within minutes of you posting? 

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

It’s true Jack, you have fans.

Victoria Dickson
    Victoria Dickson
    Participant

So, how come Shady didn’t get any medals, huh?  He singlehandedly took out three enemies waiting in ambush then spotted the enemy in the final action, thus saving his commander from certain death.  Not like he shot anyone on his own side.  Any failing on his part were the fault of his superiors for not providing sufficient motivation and direction.  The kid has the makings of a general, he should get medals and a promotion. 

Great reports as always. 🙂

Just Jack
    Participant

Vicki – “Do you appreciate we’ve been hanging around this thread for a month so we can reply within minutes of you posting?”
    Hmmm…  Now that you mention it, it is a little creepy 😉

And regarding Shady…  Stop being a Shady Lover! 😉  He is a pretty good shot, and he didn’t actually shoot any of his own comrades (though Gutierrez might have something to say about that), but medals generally come due to a bit of aggressiveness, not hanging back, or with quite a bit of influence, and he’s just a Private.  I’ll see if we can work on the leadership issue 😉

John – Pike and Shotte???  Ottomans???  I have one word for you: Elvira.  Get your ass back in the 20th Century, where you belong!  Okay, given your age, you’re probably good with Pike and Shotte, but I mean where your wargaming activities belong 😉  I have played four aerial dogfights in the Dutch East Indies on my Island Hopping campaign, about ready to have the Marine platoon fight against some Japanese at Palembang.  I’m also reading “Battalion of the Damned” about 1st Marine Parachute Battalion at Gavutu-Tanambogo and Edson’s Ridge, so kinda rearing to get to the Canal.

So many ideas, so little time…

V/R,
    Jack

Victoria Dickson
    Victoria Dickson
    Participant

Stop being a Shady Lover! 😉

I am so going to use that as a username somewhere, and then regret doing so. 

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Yes Lack, Pike and Shotte as Victoria posted some AAR’s so I got hooked and bought both the Lion Rampart and Pikemans Lament rules (waiting on Dragon Rampart as well) I’ve read the Eric Flint 1632 books for years and always wanted to do some Pike and Shotte but didn’t have any rules I liked.
    Marines in the Pacific??

Shaun Travers
    Shaun Travers
    Participant

Hello Kyote – Pike and Shot is an era I have never really got into but am working my way towards it as I am mainly Ancients, but getting more into Medieval and the next thing I know I will fall into Pike and Shot 🙂   I have Dragon Rampant and played it with a friend earlier this year.  It is fun, and not too brain taxing.  Look forward to seeing some reports of FB.

Just Jack
    Participant

Vicki – Go ahead, life’s too short for regret.  Unless you’re looking for a job, in which case you probably don’t want to be associated with such a user name 😉

John – Old man, you need to get your #$%^ together, you don’t have time for pikes, etc…  You’ve got Team Yankee, Marines in Hue, and Elvira’s girls to save.  And now you’ve got Shaun distracted…

Shaun – Quit messing around with your naked guys with spears and slings and get back to panzers, PIATs, and e-tools!!!

V/R,
    Jack

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.