Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

So let’s talk presentation, folks. I want your input on how Ambush Alley: CQB is structured.

As you know (I hope), AA:CQB is meant to be gaming engine. You’ll be able to use the core rules to play games in any number of settings, the most obvious being the genres we currently cover: Modern/Ultra-Modern, SciFi, and Zombie/Post Apocalypse.

With that said, would you rather that:

1. The AA:CQB rulebook be a stripped down presentation of the rules with genre specific rules presented in later supplements. This has the advantage of making the core books and supplements smaller, and therefore less expensive, but the disadvantages of requiring you to purchase at least two books (whose combined price could conceivably be equal to or greater than the option below) and forcing you to look through two books when playing a game.

or,

2. That the basic rules be repeated in AA:CQB (which would cover modern/ultra-modern, and in a Tomorrow’s War book, and in an Ambush Z book, etc.? This has the advantage of letting you purchase a single book for the genre that interests you and have all the rules you need to play. It has the disadvantage of requiring us to devote pages to core rules and thus increasing the size (and cost) of the books.

Let us know which sounds better to you. Our goal is to give you the game you the way you want it, so don’t be shy! Alternate suggestions are also welcome!

Participant

Hi Peggy,

I’m not a fan of the concept of buying several gazillion products just to be able to play. I’d say make each book self-contained. If I have no interest in a period, I don’t want to have to purchase a book other than the one I’m interested in just to be able to play.

http://mainly28s.com
    wargames review site...

Participant

I really prefer to not spend money on things that I don’t need.  So having to buy the rules with each period supplement would push me away from considering them in the first place, though actual final price will impact how much I am pushed away.  I would prefer to see a core rulebook with enough info for the primary period to play the game, and see if I like the rules enough to adopt them.  Then buy the period supplements that I need to play the game that interests me the most.

Keymaster

I would prefer to see a core rulebook with enough info for the primary period to play the game, and see if I like the rules enough to adopt them.  Then buy the period supplements that I need to play the game that interests me the most.

This for me also.

Participant

I am torn on this.  Looking at my collections of rules for various periods fall into both categories.  I think for this game, I would prefer a core rulebook and period supplements.  In all honesty I will purchase no matter which format.

Participant

Thanks for the input, everyone!

Shawn Carpenter
    [email protected]
    www.ambushalleygames.net

Participant

Late to this but if I may chip in, I’d prefer a core book sufficient for the genre/period then small specific theatre/operation scenario supplements.

Participant

The format for Force on Force and Tomorrow’s War work for me. Rules, scenarios, background, and then supplements that expand into various other periods. I would want the core rules to have enough to standalone.

While I bought all the supplements for Force on Force, I know I will never game some of those periods. However, having those allows me to add certain rules as needed.

Buckeye Six Actual
    https://ambushedinthealley.blogspot.com/
    http://foragecaps.blogspot.com/
    http://germancolonialgaming.blogspot.com/

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.