Home Forums Air and Sea Naval Our big family

This topic contains 15 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Rory McCreadie Rory McCreadie 4 months ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Rory McCreadie
    Rory McCreadie
    Participant

Hi All,

As Vol wishes the old thread to close as he does not like it. I’m happy to start a new thread.

I too have always love the “Nappy” ships. As a 10 year old I made ships from bits of wood. From the age of 6 I lived in Portsmouth (1960’s). My Dad was X-navy (Fleet Air-Arm). In the dark old days it was free to go into the Dock-yard. We would go to the harbour and watch the workings of Portsmouth harbour civil and Naval for hours. Sometimes as a treat we would go around the “Victory”, had to paid for that one! I loved playing with toy soldiers, Airfix and Britain’s. I did not paint them. We moved away from Portsmouth in the late 60’s.

For me it was the film “Waterloo” and the Airfix “Waterloo sets” which came out around the same time which got me into this wargaming bug. I started painting the Airfix soldiers (Badly).

It was in the 1970’s I found a small shop that sold metal figurines. So got into the Napoleonic wargaming thing big time. I loved it, buying and painting the figurines 25 then 15mm. I moved to London and had a number of shops to go too. In one I saw some metal Napoleonic ships. I could not say now which ones or the scale. I think bigger than 1-1200 scale. I found some rules and painted the ships badly again and no rigging as the rules re-moved the damaged mast’s (Navwar Productions Limited “Napoleonic Wars 1793-1815” 1971) Still have them! Alas I could not understand them or had friend who wished to play. So the ships went into a box (I can’t find now) and it was land warfare for me.

I got one Langton ship at a show in the 80’s painted it (It was O.K.) did the standing rigging and stopped! No rat-lines! Back to land troops and G.W. now too. Always read Hornblower, Bolitho and Ramage books and visited the Victory and now the Mary Rose from time to time.

When G.W. published “Trafalgar” and I got to find Carol and Rod Langton so helpful. I got back too the “Nappy” ships (Love the word Vol). It was only time, money and space that has stopped me going on with Langton’s. So now am making and painting Tumbling Dice 1-2400 scale ships. I must say I still mainly play with my 1-1200 scale ships. It’s hard to find players for this part of the hobby, I’m lucky to have found Pete Lowe who makes and plays. Also Vol who after so long can still can talk ships on line. Sites like this one help too. So That is my history on Nappy ships.

Can we all use this thread now, for Vol. Sorry Vol!

Be safe

Rory

He who says he makes no mistakes, is making the biggest mistake of all. Or does bugger all. Rory

Brian Weathersby
    Brian Weathersby
    Participant

First of all Rory, let me say how much I envy you for having lived near Portsmouth.  A trip to the Victory is definitely a bucket list item for me.

I was born and raised in eastern Texas, but ships and boats were always a part of the environment.  My father worked in a shipyard, and one of the first books I remember him reading was one of the Hornblower novels.  My grandfather owned a small boat, and did his own shrimping/oystering for years, and I went with him.  As I was under 10, I mostly just stayed out of the way and watched the grownups do the hard work.

I first found 1/1200 naval miniatures around 1980 or so, in a catalog from Modeler’s Mart.  They were a shop based in Safety Harbor, FL and sold all types of miniatures.  I bought a few frigates from the Skytrex line, the Heart of Oak rules, and introduced my high school friends to naval gaming.  They were already D&D players along with board wargames, so the little ships went over pretty well.  They weren’t based, and the only rigging were stays between the masts that I made using wire.  Unfortunately, none of them have survived all the moves I’ve made over the years, so none of them are left.

I played other miniatures for most of the 1990s, and went a few years after my divorce not doing any gaming at all.  However, around 2000-2001 I decided to get back into naval gaming as it was my first love.  I decided to go with mostly the Langton miniatures, since they looked better than the old ones I had.  So my current collection (that you are seeing on the blog) has come about over 16-17 years.  I haven’t built all of them; I did buy a collection of ships from a guy in the UK who was getting out of the hobby, and into building 1:1 scale cars!  Those were about 20 or 30 ships, which let me jump start my collection so that I could play small games while I was building up the larger fleets.  I’ve repainted and rerigged some of those over the years, but for the most part they are still unmodified from what he built.

EDIT:  On the blog, I try to denote the ships I purchased by putting the letter “p” in the photo caption.

BWW

I'm lucky to be here
    With someone I like
    Who maketh my spirit to shine
    --Warren Zevon

Volunteer
    Volunteer
    Participant

So I just told my life story and a mistype wiped it all out! Buggar!

Brian and Rory, has it occured to either of you that the last three threads is just us three?

I am wondering if we are the only AOS folks here now?

"Research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I’m doing"
    Wernher von Braun

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

I think David Manley does it too?
    He certainly does naval stuff and loves it (even his cool Stingray games) maybe he will appear…?

McKinstry
    Participant

I love AOS but I’ve always been a big battle guy so my fleets are 1/2400 and 1/3000 and my rule sets are Trafalgar (heavily modified) and Follow The Admiral’s Wake as I really prefer 15+ ships on a side.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by  McKinstry.

Never wrestle with a pig. You both get muddy and the pig just likes it.

My are more toy like as I purchased the cardboard ships from “Pirates” as a starter into the games

Cheers

Volunteer
    Volunteer
    Participant

Rory does 1/2400 and Trafalgar too. He should be posting fleet photos soon.

"Research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I’m doing"
    Wernher von Braun

Splod
    Splod
    Participant

I keep an eye on the period and it’s games, as it’s something I’m vaguely interested in…

But then there are lots of periods I’m ‘vaguely interested’ in

If/when I tip my toe into some Naval-Gazing, it’s more likely to be modern, WW2 at the earliest.

Brian Weathersby
    Brian Weathersby
    Participant

Splod,

WWII is fun as well.  Now, I’m on record as saying that aircraft ruin a perfectly good sea fight, so I do have to stick by that.   I’d even go so far to say that if it floats, I’d be willing to game it.  Age of Sail is always my first love, though.

The comparison I often use with people is that AoS gaming is a bit like playing chess.  Speeds and capabilities are about the same for both sides, so it becomes a case of having to think about where the forces are going to be 3 or 4 turns from where you are now.  Also, wind direction determines a lot so some lines of approach are either fairly predictable or not possible.  Also, once you’re stuck in, it’s even harder to get out of trouble at 4 knots against the wind.

WWI and II naval combat is more like a modern sporting contest.  Speed in, speed out.  Strike from a distance or up close. Weapons with enough range that you could possibly use the weather/visibility to get away if you had to.  Everything happens quickly.  Sailing ships might dance around within sight but out of range of each other for hours or days.  A 32 pounder might shoot 2,000 yards, but 400 or less is a more realistic engagement range if you want to have a hope of hitting anything.  When the fighting finally does start, it’s like the proverbial knife fight in a telephone booth.

BWW

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by Brian Weathersby Brian Weathersby. Reason: spelling errors

I'm lucky to be here
    With someone I like
    --Warren Zevon

My interested spouted from youplay.it  Wooden Ships game and from there I moved to the table top.

Brian Weathersby
    Brian Weathersby
    Participant

PLS,

Nothing wrong with using the “Pirates” ships; there were quite a few people around here who did the same thing.  They may even be preferable if it is not your primary interest.  As for Wooden Ships and Iron Men, I had the board game but never played it online.

BWW

I'm lucky to be here
    With someone I like
    --Warren Zevon

Autodidact-O-Saurus
    Autodidact-O-Saurus
    Participant

Oh, I’m still here, too. ‘Real Life’ has been dealing me some rough blows so my hobbies are on hiatus right now. But I still read the fora and live vicariously from those of you who post great stuff.

My AOS gaming projects have generally met with disastrous ends. When I first tried them, c. 1980, I got into the Valiant ships (1:2000 or thereabouts?). I lost the entire fleet in a cross country move. Then in the 1990s I tried again with 1:1200 scale, mostly the GHQ models but with a few Skytrex thrown in for good measure. That fleet, stored in a small cedar chest, came crashing down from the top shelf of a book case while rewiring the house. I sold off the remains at a convention to someone who wanted to get into the period for a pittance. I knew I’d never make the repairs. Since then I’ve assembled a sizable 1:600 ACW collection, a smattering of Valiant ancient galleys and a dozen or so of 1:400/600 renaissance ships.

On the rules front, I’ve tinkered with WSIM (well the earlier Battlefront miniatures version), ‘Beat to Quarters’, and SPI’s ‘Frigate’. All lost in various moves. For ACW and ancients, I wrote my own rules (‘Iron & Steam’ and ‘Oceanus Strategoi’). I’ve cobbled together rules for the Armada period but it’s been a real back burner project.

Self taught, persistently behind the times, never up to date. AKA ~ jeff
    More verbosity: http://petiteguerre.blogspot.com/

Don Glewwe
    Don Glewwe
    Participant

While fleet actions have a ‘grand’ appeal, I’ve been seduced a bit more by the ‘little ships’.

Much of the credit (blame) goes to a local fellow (goes by ‘War Artisan’ online  http://www.warartisan.com/  ) who has some attractive cardstock models and rules, for both fleet and small-ship actions.

Having someone offer flats and a rules download to ‘get wet’ easily, as it were…well, that’s just downright cruel!

“The reason? How about: Wine, internet, and credit cards are a bad mix?” 

http://www.glewwe-castle.com/brawl-factory/

DM
    DM
    Participant

I’ve played AoS in some form or another for about 40 years, seriously for 30-odd. If I was somewhere where I could type properly I’d expand in that – maybe later in the weekend

Brian Weathersby
    Brian Weathersby
    Participant

Your last line about wine reminds me of this comic:

http://web.gocomics.com/getfuzzy/2002/02/06

Unfortunately, I can’t put a picture of the strip here directly.

I'm lucky to be here
    With someone I like
    --Warren Zevon

Rory McCreadie
    Rory McCreadie
    Participant

Hi All,

It’s so nice to hear all your (our) stories.  Being a small part of this hobby is so much fun. Gaming, painting and rigging all to some part big or small play a part to this hobby. I think we are a little bit special. Most wargames are put off by one of the three parts of the hobby. So thanks for sharing your stories and lets let them get longer.

Be safe

Rory

He who says he makes no mistakes, is making the biggest mistake of all. Or does bugger all. Rory

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.