Home Forums Air and Sea Naval Pirates of the Spanish Main

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Just want to try a new image host site. So I’m playing around with pics and thought I’ll show my Pirates game as a test piece. I managed to play a game the other day, which….well had been a while. I’ve always like the little model ships and a few years ago set about making my islands.

Anyway, feel free to ask things should this interest you. In the mean time I will be playing around with pics of my Pirates game table. So apologise for any iffy photos. You might get a good one, you might not or you might get a link who knows

Keymaster

wow that IS small.

Participant

It just comes out in one size no matter what I do.

Have to have a cup of tea before I gouge out my brains and eyeballs.

Yeah baby! not too small now is it? hahah

Keymaster

That is a sweet looking mat/cloth.

Participant

I love this game. I wish there were more people to play with.

I recently purchased a load of second hand ships and counters off an auction site. We were going to try Ganesha games rules but my friend and I decided to try the actual game rules to start off with.

Participant

Can’t remember where the cloth came from. Certainly from some sort of fantasy navel game.

It’s nice to see that there are still fans of this game. I started back in 2008 when WizKids, who made the game shut down. Ive played hundreds of games, atleast I did back then. This was the first game in a while. I always loved the ships, not so much the sea monsters. Just punch them out of the cards, assemble and you’re good to go.

We stick to the standarded rules and generic crew. Not familiar with Ganesha  rules, but did add an activation rule. Rather than one player moving all his fleet, then the other player. Had to stop and think sometimes, like when HMS Endeavour with her special ability “this ship eliminates two masts with one hit”. Enaged a French ship with “Two hits are required to eliminate one of this ships masts”. So the rules can be a bit complicated. But if you stick with the four basic ship actions, move, shoot, repair and explore. And the four generic crew Helmsman, Captain, Shipwright and Explorer to help with these actions you can’t go far wrong.

Also, try and stick with the big 5 factions. English, French, Spanish, Pirates and USA. Cursed, Merceneries, Jade, Barbary Corsairs are much more niche.

Thanks.

Participant

I discovered the game in 2007 and picked up loads of ships in Germany, where I was living at the time. A year later I discovered the Star Wars Pocketmodel game, which is similar. I guess I got into them too late. But I have large connections of miniatures that will see use with other rules over the coming years. Especially at school in my wargaming club.

Participant

Not familiar with Ganesha rules …

The core Ganesha rules are called Galleys & Galleons, they are fast and fun ‘historical’ rules for the 16th-early 18th centuries. An expansion called Fayre Winds & Foul Tides is due out at the end of next week. It includes many more fantastical elements, magic, advanced flying rules etc, along with other rules to aid the game’s use in other historical periods such as the Roman corvus, carronades and ironcladding.

http://irregularwars.blogspot.co.uk/

Participant

Thanks, sounds good. Might try and have a closer look sometime.

Participant

this is the only wargaming forum I’ve ever seen show any liking to this game, never really understood why it wasn’t that popular amongst us wargamers?

I did some very simple campaign rules ages ago if anyones interested they can be found here: http://ablogofwar.blogspot.co.uk/p/wargaming-resources-page.html

My attempt at a Blog: http://ablogofwar.blogspot.co.uk/

Participant

Wow. Another fan? Pirates is quite a quiet game now. But seems to still have a fan base, even if it is small.

Most forum activity was/is Miniutre Trading and back along Pojo.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.