Home Forums Renaissance Portugal vs. Castile in the Azores and Canary Islands…

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Brendan Morrissey 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Autodidact-O-Saurus
    Autodidact-O-Saurus
    Participant

Squirrel!

Not sure whether to call this Early Renaissance or Late Medieval…. But, I just recently came across a reference to the Portugal-Spanish conflicts over the Atlantic Isles in the decades before Columbus. Can anybody recommend any decent books or web sites on this? My interest is piqued.

Thanks!

Self taught, persistently behind the times, never up to date. AKA ~ jeff
    More verbosity: http://petiteguerre.blogspot.com/

Brendan Morrissey
    Participant

Not sure what stage you are at, so these might be a bit too simple for you, but they could give you a good start:-

Osprey Men-At-Arms #484 – The Portuguese in the Age of Discovery 1340-1665

Osprey Men-At-Arms #500 – Armies of Castile and Aragon 1370-1516

Osprey Fortress #49 – The Spanish Main 1492-1800

These may fall outside the period/region, but might also be worth a look:-

Osprey Men-At-Arms #481 – Spanish Tercios 1536-1704

Osprey Fortress #94 – Spanish Colonial Fortifications in North America 1565-1822

Hope that helps,

Brendan

Autodidact-O-Saurus
    Autodidact-O-Saurus
    Participant

I tend to overlook Ospreys but you’re right. Might be a good place to start.

Thanks.

Self taught, persistently behind the times, never up to date. AKA ~ jeff
    More verbosity: http://petiteguerre.blogspot.com/

Brendan Morrissey
    Participant

As an Osprey author myself, I can understand your reluctance, but the key point is to see them for what they are – a quick and relatively cheap entry into a period that points the reader towards the important points needing further research.  As long as people recognise that and don’t expect them to be the “be all and end all” of a given subject, then there is no reason for disappointment.  The better ones will usually suggest further (and more detailed) reading that can take you into the finer details, if that’s where you want to go.

Good luck.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.