Home Forums Horse and Musket General Horse and Musket Legends of the Old West

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

What do people think of the realism of this rule set?

Participant

For what value of “realism?” ๐Ÿ™‚

They give a good, fun game which feels like the Wild West to me. Though, given my knowledge of the Old West comes more from Hollywood than more serious research that may not be a recommendation.

My previous “go to” rule set was Once Upon A Time In The West which was more detailed and more complicated and more comprehensive but I’m not sure it was any more realistic.

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Participant

I found them fun but I suspect realistic Old West violence was dominated by ambush and simply outright murder than six guns blazing at one another. From what I’ve read it was far more likely Party A would simply walk up to Party B and shoot them without warning or club them over the head from behind.

I suspect a realistic rules set for the Old West would be very Hobbsian and very boring for the most part.

The tree of Life is self pruning.

Participant

As above really, they are are a great fun rule set but if its realism you’re looking for, keep looking! I’d suggest TSR’s Boothill (you can get a pdf of it easily enough) or Gutshot if you want something more involved

My attempt at a Blog: http://ablogofwar.blogspot.co.uk/

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.