Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy Questions about Crom rules

Tagged: 

This topic contains 49 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Gone Fishing 1 month ago.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

I note that characters can allocate their dice pool across the three stats, but when do they do this?
    Is it at the start of the game, and is it fixed as that allocation each turn, or you can you decide at the start of each turn?

Stroezie
    Stroezie
    Participant

The characters  can allocate their dice at the start of each turn.

We’ve even played it that you allocate as you go. Need an extra dice? Just throw it in there, and another, and another…   …Yay!!!  I’ve mowed down one of the five minions…   oops where did all my defence dice go?

If you like 6mm scifi check out http://planetares6.blogspot.be/?m=0

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

Cheers, yeah I thought that was the case as it was kind of implied in the initiative section, which I read after posting this!

😀
    Got any game reports to share?

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

We’ve even played it that you allocate as you go.

I am tempted to do this actually.

Stroezie
    Stroezie
    Participant

Well, the pictures I showed you were actually going to be for an AAR of the first introduction adventure in the book but once the action started to pick up I completely forgot to take any more notes/pictures and my lousy memory wont let me recall what happened otherwise. Which is wat usually happens when I try to do AAR’s.

I’ve made it my goal for next year to figure out a way of doing AAR’s that work for me but to be honest I wouldn’t hold my breath 

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

Pictures with a few speech bubbles like a comic?
    Pictures with a title that briefly explains the shot?
    Actually, this could make an interesting topic in it’s own right…   😉

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

So, in Crom, each successful attack does 2 hits.
    And for each hit on a minion you remove a die from both movement and attack.
    That then means that a successful attack on a minion kills them outright as they only have 2 dice in each?

matakishi
    matakishi
    Participant

You allocate your dice to your pools at the beginning of each turn. The idea is you commit to a plan of action at that point. If you want to do it differently then go for it, play how you want to 🙂

1 successful attack will kill a minion. Since they operate in groups you need to try to eliminate the entire group though or the survivors will of course retaliate when it’s their go. Each miniature in the minion group requires 2 hits to remove it from play. If you inflict more than 2 hits the extras may be applied to other miniatures in the minion group. Thus, lots of 6s will leave lots of bodies.

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

1 successful attack will kill a minion.

Cheers!
    In your experience is there a best minion group size?

Clearly one giant group could mob a hero, but lots of little ones would give the bad guys more chance of going first as they would have more cards in the deck?

matakishi
    matakishi
    Participant

3-5 was the idea. If you want a horde it should be made up of more smaller groups rather than fewer larger groups. Minions aren’t harmless, they can bring down a hero who’s not paying attention and planning ahead properly quite easily. Again, this was the idea, CROM rewards tactical play and heroes who just run around hacking things without thought for the rest of the turn die quickly.

The final showdown atop the black citadel gives both sides ample scope for planning and skillful play and is a good scenario with excellent replay value for experienced players (leave out trying to slay the pit creature if you like, the race to get the princess rescued or sacrificed is the meat of the encounter and a successful sacrifice spells the end for the heroes).

Ali Dogan Sayiner
    Ali Dogan Sayiner
    Participant

My question about fighting, bases need to touch each other for close combat or something else?

contact me via : [email protected]
    http://www.sayinermicrotoys.com/

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

BUMP, and…

What dice would people use for a wolf, 4 and 2 ?

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

More bump!!

matakishi – Any chance of something like a Monsters Manual?
    Happy to pay a few quid if it has a good few things in it.
    Undead, wolf, elephant, tiger, camel, harpies, manticore, zombies, etc..

I am doing some cards for bad guys and having not yet played am unsure how to assign stats.
    The wolf pack for example. 2/2/0 seems wrong.
    I figure a wolf should be faster than 2 as 2 is a regular human speed.
    I saw that horses give 6 dice for movement, so was thinking 4/2/0 for a wolf?

What do you think, would that work and keep the game balanced?

Stroezie
    Stroezie
    Participant

Ooh!

I Would so be up for a Crom monster manual.

matakishi
    matakishi
    Participant

4/2/0 would be fine for wolves.

I can do a monster manual I guess. I’ll give it some thought, thanks for the idea 😉

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

Cheers and..

I can do a monster manual I guess. I’ll give it some thought, thanks for the idea

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

So fiddling about with the rules to test out the mechanics for real.
    Erland vs. 6 wolves.
    Some interesting rolls, but what was clear is that having no dice left for defence is very risky!

Tomorrow I will play the wolf attack and take pictures and add to my site and here!

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

Question sir!

Let us say you have 2 people each with 10 dice fighting.
    How does the attacking work, is it 10 dice vs 10 dice, or can the attacker say make 5 attacks each with 2 dice?

That way potentially killing the other person (if they get 5 wins that will be 10 dice lost from the other person)

?

Gone Fishing
    Participant

Hi AB,

If anyone should stay silent it’s likely myself: I’ve only read through the rules once and have not played them. Just to keep the conversation going, however, I will say my feeling was that only one attack is allowed against a single figure, per turn; the other dice would need to be allocated to movement or defense. The other option (which I admit didn’t even occur to me) feels a little “gamey,” perhaps. I’ll be interested to see what Matakishi says.

On a related note, I hope this means the juices are gurgling for more episodes in your CROM! playtests? Please?

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

I am probably going to play it as you can several attacks, you say you will do 5 attacks at 2 dice each and then the defender can chose to also do 5 at 2 each, or maybe just 2 defence rolls at 5 dice each or or…

Yes, played part 3 today, will have the report on TWW tomorrow.

Gone Fishing
    Participant

Interesting, you may well be right. Looking forward to seeing the AAR!

matakishi
    matakishi
    Participant

Sorry for not getting here sooner.

The attacker decides how to spend his attack dice and can launch several attacks against the same opponent providing the opponent has at least one combat die left to spend.

Once the opponent has used their last combat die the attacker can only make one further attack against that opponent (as per the no ganking rule).

Edit: to clarify, each attack is resolved before the next is declared and rolled.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by matakishi matakishi.

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

Gone Fishing
    Participant

Very helpful for me as well. Thanks for the clarification!

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

Another question, this time about archers.
    What is your intent with archers?

The rules say that minions have 2 M and 2 C.
    But it also states that shooting uses S.

Would a minion therefore be 2-2-2 or would it be 2-0-2

?

matakishi
    matakishi
    Participant

Don’t ask about archers. I’m far from happy with the missile rules. These will be addressed in Deluxe CROM (coming soon).

For the moment use combat dice for archery if you must include the things 🙂

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

These will be addressed in Deluxe CROM (coming soon).

Gone Fishing
    Participant

Well, those stringed things are for the effete anyway. Strife should be settled by cold steel or fists, by Crom!

(Ooh, Deluxe CROM! ? Will it have a bestiary?)

matakishi
    matakishi
    Participant

Well, those stringed things are for the effete anyway. Strife should be settled by cold steel or fists, by Crom! (Ooh, Deluxe CROM! ? Will it have a bestiary?)

Yes.

Gone Fishing
    Participant

Getting ready for my first solo attempt at the rules today (though it will be set in mythological Greece, not Hyboria for now). In reviewing the rules, two questions have occurred to me:

1.) I’m uncertain how initiative dice allotment works. If two players are both vying for first activation, I’m curious what to do in this situation – let’s say Player A puts an initiative die in the special category; Player B sees this and places two in his. Now, during the dice allotment phase, can Player A change his to two, or even three, or is he stuck with just the one – only because he happened to place the dice first. Hope this makes sense. I’d guess it doesn’t come up too often, but as we all know with such questions, it invariably will.

2.) Love the scenarios included with the rules – a great deal of inspiration there! One thing has me wondering, however. The markers distributed on the table seem to be about 50/50 good/bad effects. This is a pretty high ratio for danger; activating a 10 dice worm or getting poisoned, for example, would be no fun. Do you find that players simply avoid getting the markers? A scenario might require the markers to be grabbed to move on to the next (as in game number 1), but most don’t seem to have this requirement. At any rate I just wonder, with the potential for risk being so high, if players don’t ignore them.

Many thanks for any advice!

matakishi
    matakishi
    Participant

Getting ready for my first solo attempt at the rules today (though it will be set in mythological Greece, not Hyboria for now). In reviewing the rules, two questions have occurred to me: 1.) I’m uncertain how initiative dice allotment works. If two players are both vying for first activation, I’m curious what to do in this situation – let’s say Player A puts an initiative die in the special category; Player B sees this and places two in his. Now, during the dice allotment phase, can Player A change his to two, or even three, or is he stuck with just the one – only because he happened to place the dice first. Hope this makes sense. I’d guess it doesn’t come up too often, but as we all know with such questions, it invariably will. 2.) Love the scenarios included with the rules – a great deal of inspiration there! One thing has me wondering, however. The markers distributed on the table seem to be about 50/50 good/bad effects. This is a pretty high ratio for danger; activating a 10 dice worm or getting poisoned, for example, would be no fun. Do you find that players simply avoid getting the markers? A scenario might require the markers to be grabbed to move on to the next (as in game number 1), but most don’t seem to have this requirement. At any rate I just wonder, with the potential for risk being so high, if players don’t ignore them. Many thanks for any advice!

1. Dice can be allotted however a player chooses. You put one die, your opponent puts two, add another if you want.

2. Markers should be 50/50 good/bad. Some players ignore them some go for them. Again it’s player choice. Often the scenario objective is hidden by a marker so they need to be picked up.

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

I would do it thus:

Allocate the dice at the same time into the 3 categories.

If one player see’s how many the other is putting into Special either let them go back and forth until they both stop are happy with their total allocations.
    However once all 12 dice are allocated that is it.
    No going back and moving from Combat into Special etc.

So if you have two players, one with 2 dice in special and one with 1 die in special that is it.
    Once they have finalised their allocation that is it, they can then choose how many of their Special dice to use.

If however you are worried about a bidding war, why not have players allocate in in secret?

Gone Fishing
    Participant

That clears things up nicely. Thank you both!

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

Getting ready for my first solo attempt at the rules today

oooooh

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

So in the absence of sneaking about rules I came up with the following.

The person on watch/look out/whatever assuming that is all they are doing will put all their dice into special and use these as a perception test.
    The heroes will need to allocate dice to both special and movement.
    They will move their movement regardless.
    But they will only do it stealthily (without being spotted) if their special roll exceeds that of the person on watch.
    The movement dice are to actually move, the special dice are how stealthy you are being.
    This allows for super slow sneaking (lots of dice in special to avoid detection) or a more risky less well done sneak (less dice in special)

It worked well in the latest chapter of the Chronicles of Crom’s Anvil.

matakishi
    matakishi
    Participant

That seems a good way of working it.

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

That seems a good way of working it.

Cool.

Right then…

Magic!

So let us say I have a high priestess with 10 dice.

She wants to summon skeletons that are 2/2/0  and her conversion rate is 2:1.

She could spend 8 of those dice in one turn and summon 4 skeletons?
    Next turn she will have 3 dice to spend? (The 2 left over and the 1 regenerated?

How do her acolytes (conversion rate 3:1) help, assuming they have 2 dice (minions) they can’t use all 2 in one go as they will pass out, so they burn 1 dice and put 1/3 into the summoning pool toward beasties and next turn they get 1 back and are up to full strength again?
    (I am assuming this as I have 3 acolytes so they will collectively put 1 summoning point aside per turn)

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

Bump for anyone in the know..

matakishi
    matakishi
    Participant

Sorry, I didn’t get a notification of your original post 🙁

Yes on the High Priestess’ dice. She needs to fill the highest dice pool of the creature she’s summoning (2 in the case of the skeletons) and she gets one back a turn.

Acolytes can pool their dice to help if you wish (I just thought of this, it’ll be in the new rules) so three acolytes could add one die each for the needed three points for a 3:1 conversion rate.

If there aren’t enough acolytes to do this then the only way they can add more than sound and atmosphere to the proceedings is to either guard the doors to prevent interruptions in order to give the HP time to cast or they can voluntarily give up their lives to provide a single summoning point each, a pretty poor exchange rate for skeletons but maybe worth it for an elder god.

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

Acolytes can pool their dice to help if you wish (I just thought of this, it’ll be in the new rules) so three acolytes could add one die each for the needed three points for a 3:1 conversion rate.

Ah so each die gives 1 point, so they actually give 1 point to the pool?
    Or does the conversion rate mean their one die only counts as a 1/3rd.

I ask as you said for the needed three points, but a 2 stat skeleton only needs 2 dice, so if the acolytes give 1 each then 2 of them could give enough points in one go to summon one, with the third giving another full point into the pool that the HP could use?

So summary, maybe?

Do they send points to the pool equal to their dice or do they send them equal to their dice modified by the ratio?

So the HP with 10 dice and a ratio of 2:1 can use 10 all 10 dice and put 5 into the pool. (then passes out?)
    And let us say Bob with 3 dice and a ratio of 3:1 can use all 3 and put 1 into the pool. (also then passes out?)

Likewise Bob could use just 1 die and that would only be a 1/3rd of a point into the pool?

Sorry!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.