Home Forums Terrain and Scenery Railway

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

I just got home from setting up our Punic War mega game for the annual, two day Train & Hobby Show (photos to follow).

Before leaving I walked around the hall, where, amongst others, there was a stand selling various second hand railway bits. I have been thinking about adding a train to our Mahdist games. Indeed, a game set in The Sudan will probably be next year’s mega-game.

Before long, I was the proud owner of what was described as a “typical colonial loco”, a caboose & a flatcar & about 7 yards of track. The engine (which of course doesn’t run) & cars will receive a suitable paint job. The track leaves me puzzled. It’s typical model railway train track. My experience of real track is that it sits on a bed of gravel. Is this correct for The Sudan? How do I do this?

Any advice from you Secret Model Railway Enthusiasts is welcome.

donald

Participant

I don’t know what your track is like but I based mine on sections of lasercut mdf, without any ballast, and it came out OK:

http://jimswargamesworkbench.blogspot.fr/2015/11/a-fistful-of-lead-39.html

As for the train, I suggest that it might need a bit of modification if it’s American outline to fit the Sudan?

Participant

Narrow gauge – 3’6″ I presume and not standard gauge

Never mind – don’t bother much with ballast – most of the military line was thrown down pretty fast and rebuilt later or abandoned in the early -twentieth century.

If you really want – base the line on thin ply or 2mm mdf (similar to Jim’s)and stick  OO (for 20-28mm) ballast on the base and on and around the sleepersballastSudan rail

and add sand- lots of sand in the Sudan!

left is Gaugemaster GM111 brown OO ballast -£3 for a 500g bag in the UK. Right is a current Sudan railway. You can just see the ballast is there under the sand. Sand hasn’t changed colour since the nineteenth century!

If you were laying track for a layout you’d have to be careful about where all the ballast goes and any sand sprinkle – and hoover like mad after – sand not good for locos or stock bearings, motor or bogies- but as it’s a non-runner feel free. You may get warping if you use the standard eyed dropper and dilute pva white glue routine on working layouts – so use a contact adhesive slathered on – whack your track sections down (cut the bases to reasonable lengths so you can adjust the line as you place it on the wargame table) and scatter ballast on immediately after – you probably don’t need to paint if you then add sand.

Do a test piece without track first to see if you get warping.

As for the train, I suggest that it might need a bit of modification if it’s American outline to fit the Sudan?

The engine I bought, with a recommendation from the knowledgeable stall holder, looks not unlike this:

It’s been garishly painted red & yellow! but I think a black mat paint job with dry brushing to show dust should do?

It’s HO gauge which I think is 1/76 scale. My figures are 1/72  so I think that suggests, if not entirely represents, a narrow gauge.

donald

donald

Participant

My 6mm railway is pre based, I just painted it a shot of dusty mud colour. My N gauge track I just throw down on the table so the base cloth just shows through. It looks fine.

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

Participant

…..

Built in the wilds of Leeds, by Hunslet & indeed used in the Sudan! http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69632-british-outline-locos-overseas/page-7

and for a bit of real trivia, it looks like it might be a Wickham railcar behind, some of which were armoured for use in the Malayan emergency. Some ended up in Vietnam. http://www.malayarailway.com/2009/02/ktm-armoured-wickham-trolley.html#axzz4oruK0kJS

Participant

I painted some track the other day. To be honest I think it could have been painted black + some dust as MartinR suggested, what with all the soot & cinders that drop from steam trains.

6mm France 1940

http://les1940.blogspot.co.uk/
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/386297688467965/

Ha, Les!  Would you believe I found that You tube vid about an hour ago?

Some good tips: not least using a silver paint pen to “colour in” the top of the tracks.

donald

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.