Home Forums Sci Fi 6mm Sci-Fi Saturnine Hoplites (3mm Epic Armageddon Proxies)

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Thanks to the National Cheese Emporium, I have been provided with an Armored/Mechanized Regiment’s worth of Epic 40K proxies, which have been cleaned and are now drying in the sun while I wait for the humidity to drop, which is supposed to happen this afternoon, so I can prime them.

In the meantime, here’s a first look at what will be the mysterious Solar Auxilia force known as the Saturnine Hoplites, veterans of the Schism of Mars, the Battle of Venus, and possibly even the Battle of Terra itself, as well as other critical events in the Imperial Civil War.

All around very nice models.  The detail rendition is excellent with Frosted Ultra Detail.  They took a little more cleaning than usual because of the undercuts and such, but nothing that was insurmountable.  Super-extreme thanks to javelin98 for this lovely little line of proxies – this is Epic as it should be – true to the scale of a really “epic” battle!

In re: colors, something is speaking to me of grey and yellow, somehow.  Not sure why.  I have to give it some thought and maybe test it out on a model to see if it works.

Participant

I got my hours of good weather!  Here are some of the battle tanks with a coat of primer.  The white shows off the detail much better.

Again, great models for  javelin98!  Looking forward to painting these!

Participant

Did a quick color test on some spares.  I didn’t think the yellow and grey would work as well as they seem to be.  But the red-brown looks good too, and works for Martian and Desert environments.  The green and brown is a little too “typical,” but does look nice and military.  Maybe I’ll save it for the Western European Union in my other project.

I think maybe the red-brown looks like a native Martian color scheme – perhaps for the Deimos Militia.  I’m feeling the grey and gold for the Saturnine Hoplites.  More reminiscent of bronze armor and barren outer moons.

Thanks for posting.

His store temps me quite a lot though I am undecided on Scifi or the moderns

Participant

They look lovely, that’s great detail for 3mm!

I agree on the scheme, the middle one looks good even if I like the red/yellow one too. As you say, the martians need something too 🙂

Participant

Those are very impressive indeed. 3mm is pretty amazing in the amount of detail you can get.

Participant

Yeah the models are really excellent. These 3mm scale figures are the first 3D printed direct-to-game production that has really matured, in my opinion; cost is still too much a factor for larger scales, such that metal, in particular sculpted pieces like AB and Microworld sell, are really dominant; or at least, 3D is useful there only for character pieces or masters for later casting in metal. But I have to say the quality here is really excellent and the cost, though significantly higher than metal, is not exorbitant to field a nicely balanced force of custom models that would otherwise be unavailable.

Incidentally, I went with the gold and grey scheme for the Saturnine Hoplites. I’m painting the first Armored Company now. They’re really pleasant pieces to handle, and as I’ve said previously, the processing on Shapeways “FUD” material has gotten much better lately, to where there’s much less support material and lubricant left over on the pieces than used in the past to be the case.

Participant

First tank platoon has rolled off the line:

Participant

They came out great, that paintjob looks really nice! Are you thinking you’ll use the same for any infantry elements, or are the hoplites going to be another color?

Participant

The Hoplites themselves will be grey with yellow helmets.  And thanks!  This color scheme is surprisingly challenging at this scale – the detail is in lower relief than with metals and so it takes a lighter touch.

Participant

For some reason I read this as having something to do with Centaurs, but was not disappointed by what I saw!  Great looking paint jobs, will really stand out on the table. (and that’s important at 3mm!)

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

Maybe you were thinking of Saturnalia?

Thanks, either way! I, too, am happy with the colors, even though they’re a little more vibrant than the Imperial Army usually gets in the fluff. I do think they stand out well.

Incidentally – word to the wise, Loctite CA glue holds these guys like a son of a you know what. I’m used to being able to break off my metal tanks with a little effort – not so, here. Once they’re on the base, that’s IT.

Participant

Jesus Jumpin’ Christ on a cockroach, Mathieu! Not-Eldar at Pico Armor right now!!!!111!

https://www.picoarmor.com/product-category/sci-fi-3mm/page/2/

Jet bikes! Power Armor! Tanks, IFVs and tank destroyers! Mutherf**kin’ space elves with swords!!!

Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee…!

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Participant

It’s so beautiful I want to weep!

Participant

For titans, you can use those Infinity Figures I have.

Participant

Perfect size, as I’m using the Talos Syndicate mechs from Onslaught as Imperial Titans. Sarissas make great Wraithlords, by the way. The infantry really was the last piece of the puzzle, wasn’t it?

Participant

Well, that and the jetbikes and the wraithguard…

We still need Eldar-style dreadnaughts.

Participant

Looks like Aspect Warriors are coming, now, too? Not bad!

Participant

Yes! And a not-Lehman Russ (for those of us who can’t pay Shapeways prices):

Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I saw! That model can serve a lot of purposes nicely, actually. Inter-War ImagiNations for example, as well as retro-far future.</p>

Participant

Yes. Totally Indiana Jones, too.

Participant

These fuckers are going to get me back into Warhamster Epic. I can feel it. 🙁

Participant

I should add that the samples I’ve had from Vanguard are compatible scalewise with O8 and NCE. So, score.

Participant

That’s good to know, even though it makes 3mm sci-fi that much more plausible to start warring with my 6mm time 😉

Participant

I didn’t even know there was a warhammer 30k. What is that about? The Horus Heresy (my GW fluff knowledge is fairly limited…)?

I must say, I like the Sicaran better than the Landraider.

Participant

It’s the seminal event of the 40K background, a civil war that happened just after the founding of the Empire, and about which they’ve been writing endless sci fi novels in recent years. If you look it up on 1d4chan it’ll fill you in on the whole convoluted mess.

In re: the Sicaran, it’s an interesting design. It is to the Kand Raider as the Predator is to the Rhino, is my understanding. It’s faster than the Rhino but slightly less shooty and less heavily armored, albeit better reinforced. I’m using them in support of my two lead Terminator Detachments.

Participant

Is this the Horus Heresy or did that come later?

Participant

It’s hard to say, as GW is continuously retconning their material. The Heresy was apparently always canon but it’s been fleshed out in recent years. Probably mainly to match up to new products they want to sell.

Participant

The Heresy goes as far back as the original Realm of Chaos books. It’s been heavily expanded recently through the novels and the Forge World figures and rules.

Participant

Apparently, 30k is the heresy. At least skimming the Epic Armageddon fluff.

Participant

Yes 🙂

Participant

Ah, I see, I didn’t understand what the mixup was. Yes, according to the “canon” the Heresy happened around the year 30,000, while the “meat” of the game world is supposed to be set around the year 40,500 or so.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.