Home Forums Modern SBCT Rifle Company defense #2

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Gaz045 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    JozisTinMan
    JozisTinMan
    Participant

Gave it another go, let me know what you think!

http://jozistinman.blogspot.com/2017/11/sbct-rifle-company-battle-position.html

http://jozistinman.blogspot.com/

Gaz045
    Participant

Nice little AAR.

My only doubts centre on the ability of the Krasnovian forces to spot their enemy so quickly and put down such devastating fire. Moving in an AFV is not the ideal position…..cross country movement means that the vehicle commander is hanging on and giving instructions to the driver as well as watching his arcs………the Javelin has a low firing signature for a missile system too making them difficult to spot. (Lots of launch videos on YouTube).

"Even dry tree bark is not bitter to the hungry squirrel"

JozisTinMan
    JozisTinMan
    Participant

I have tinkered with my ratings again and am thinking about what you are saying.

Also…. I forgot and was letting vehicles reaction fire against infantry over 4″ away.  So the rifle squad would go to ground and then take more shock dice BEFORE they had a chance to get another shot off.  So, your observation jives, the Krasnovians were getting about double the number of shots off…

I want to incorporate some sort of reconnaissance / target acquisition aspect to the rules, any suggestions?

http://jozistinman.blogspot.com/

Gaz045
    Participant

Target acquisition is the modern wargame bugbear! I have yet to find the ‘right’ solution……

‘Spotting’ is very hard to quantify …..movement being the biggest giveaway…..firing support weapons with lots of dust/flash etc are next…..actually having someone looking in the right direction at the right time is another!

As said, identifying from a moving vehicle is extremely tough, the driver is busy as is the commander checking on the driver and watch,  leaving the gunner on watch perhaps…..is the crew exposed or buttoned down? For me a buttoned down AFV is pretty blind outside of its weapon arc……..with a four vehicle platoon advancing in formation, two vehicles are on flank watch as well as front, one for the front arc assisted by the fourth who is on read and air watch too. Thins out the number of ‘Mark 1 eyeballs’ available!!

A simple roll (#d6?) to acquire a target depending on range and spotter/target activity…….just need to work out target sizes …….

Dug in/prone infantry being hardest to spot,  a huge tank crossing in front whilst firing being easy to spot. Spotting from a stationary vehicle using optics would be easier given a bit extra height and technology than laying behind a hedge without binos!

"Even dry tree bark is not bitter to the hungry squirrel"

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.