Home Forums Nordic Weasel Games Historical Shelldrake's FiveCore Napoleonic campaign

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Cutting to the chase, the game will be start at the end of 1813 or early 1814.

I will be playing a British force, or maybe a mixed force, basing the games on the Historical Army of the North that was made up of Swedish, Russian, Prussian and British troops.

<u>”Army of the North” under Brnadotte – 82,000 men</u>
    Swedish ‘Corps’ – 31,000 men and 62 guns
    Corps under Walmoden – 5,000 men and 24 guns
    III Army Corps (Prussian) under Bulow – 30,000 men and 96 guns
    Army Corps (Russian) under Wintzingerode – 16,000 men and 60 guns

“British Auxiliary Corps” in Netherlands – 9,000 men

This link provides details on the British troops in the Corps mentioned above: http://www.napoleon-series.org/military/battles/1814/c_lowcountries1814.pdf

Maps: I am sharing this awesome web site so other gamers can use them too: http://www.murat.ca/maps.htm

Using the maps I will have a starting point. To move to another town on the map, I will need to win a game. Losing a game means staying where I am, and losing two games in a row means being pushed back a town.

The game will end when my troops reach Paris.

I will start on the Low Countries map and move on to the central France map in time.

My troops with be on the fringe of any big battle, being used to scout, forage or what ever, so I am taking a view that their success is a refelction of the success of the main army of the North as a whole.

Time scale – not sure. Maybe one turn (or town on the map) = one week?

Of troops (units) : Infantry = 14 figures, Cavalry = 8 figures and Artillery = 1 gun with crew, and maybe a limber. These numbers include officers and musicians.

Roughly a unit could be thought as a half platoon/troop, thus why I don’t think square formations are needed.

More to follow.

Participant

A map I found on ‘the line’ showing the historical campaign I am loosely basing my games on:

Participant

Are you going to mark areas on the map or just use the towns as “spaces” to move back and forth after battle?

Participant

I was going to use the towns as spaces and move markers or pins around after each battle, but  I might get  one laminated so I can use markers on the map instead of pins. It would also let me write notes on the map.

It would also let me store the map between games.

Participant

My partner in crime for this game already has a lot of 15mm Napoleonic French and Prussian painted up*,  so he will use Prussians and I will use British, which really adds to the feel of the historical campaign too.

*which is one of the driving forces behind this game… he painted a LOT of 15mm to play with someone else, and ended up getting discouraged because they never played a game. I wanted to find a way for him to use the figures, so came up with the 15mm unit level FiveCore game.

Participant

I picked up my first batch of 15mm Napoleonics today.

A unit of each of the following:

British Riflemen

British Line Infantry (Flank coy)

KGL Hussars

9lb Gun to go with some British Horse artillery I already have.

French Dragoons (mounted and dismounted)

Elite Coy French Hussars (as a mortal enemy for my riflemen… this will be an event kind of thing)

French Fusiliers (mins command*)

French Young Guard artillery.

French Voltigeur command (*minus the infantry)

This give me enough troops to start my campaign right away, and I will add extra units later as I go along.

I intend to play my first game very soon, even if I do use unpainted figures to do so. I will be rotating units through painting, so that I will always have something being painted, and something  can play with until they are all painted.

I will also try my first game in a 40cm square area to see if it can be done. This game will be a single unit per side affair using the FiveCore rules as they are i.e. only one unit per side with three activations per unit, as written in the FiveCore 3rd Edition rules.

*The ones I couldn’t pick up were out of stock, so they will arrive in the mail next week.

Participant

I was meant to be playing the first game last Monday, but my friend couldn’t come around, so we postponed until tonight, and he couldn’t make it again. We are now hoping to start the campaign on Friday night.

Here is a photo of the set up for the first game:

The British (95th Rifles to be exact) have the choice of setting up in either area A or B.

The French will be on the table as blinds in 1, 2 and the (3) area that the British didn’t set up in. There may be more than one French force on the table.

I knocked together a building out of card just so that I would have a building to put on the table whilst waiting for some MDF buildings to show up. I have made everything with the exception of the stone walls.

What I don’t have is any roads to put between the hedges

The area is 60cm x 60cm square. As this is a single (well maybe) unit vs single unit game, i wanted a smaller playing area to force the engagement so as to get a result.

games with more units will be played in a 90cm x 90cm area.

Participant

Tell your friend to quit messing around, there’s folks out here waiting on a batrep! 😉

This has reminded me that I actually have some Penninsular Brits and French in 10mm, singly mounted.

How many troops are in a unit, and how many units per side in a typical fight?

V/R,

Jack

Participant

How many troops are in a unit, and how many units per side in a typical fight?

Infantry units are 12 soldiers, 1 officer and 1 musician (14 in total), Cavalry is 6 troopers, 1 officer and 1 musician (8 in total) and one gun and grew equals…. one gun and crew.

I am actually playing with two ‘unit scales’ rather like you are doing with the WW2 Pacific game.

For a true FiveCore skirmish, I am playing with one unit per side, with the activation as per the rules – 3 figures per activation. We have played with two units per side, with each unit being able to activate three figures per turn as per the rules.

If I am using multiple units on the table, then I am intending to have 7 to 10 units per side (that includes inf, cav and guns), and each unit is activated as a whole for the turn… thus I can activate three units on one side per turn.

At the moment I don’t have all the units I need, so it will be a skirmish level game for a while.

Participant

Well, we played our first game tonight – finished the game in about two hours, a lot of fun was had, and there was action aplenty.

I will post photos and an AAR in a day or two…

Participant
    Participant

Just got back in town from Wisconsin tonight so I’ll comment tomorrow 🙂

Participant

My first fully painted unit for the game:

Participant

Very nice! Definitely getting the “Sharpe” feel now 🙂

Participant

Things haven’t been so great in my world of late, so gaming has been really slow.

We did get a game in for the campaign the other week, so I hope to type up an AAR for that soon.

We did tweek the rules a little: when activating, if a ‘Fire Fight!” result for the action roll comes up, the side being activated can fire or reload during their turn. This made the game flow faster, and I felt gave a bit of flavor to the period where one would fire and the other reload kind of thing.

Keymaster

I missed this.
    I have often toyed with Napoleonic single figure skirmish, in the feel of Sharpe.

Things haven’t been so great in my world of late,

Hope things are not too bad, or at least I hope they are fixable.

🙂

Participant

Hope things are not too bad, or at least I hope they are fixable.

🙂

So-so long term fixable. At least I know the signs of depression and know to get help before it becomes a major issue. 🙁

Participant

Ping me privately if you need to talk mate.

Participant

Ping me privately if you need to talk mate.

Thanks. I have a Dr appointment this morning to get on top of it before it becomes a major issue.

Participant

Good deal.

Did you pick up Scum Of the Earth yet? If not, email me and I’ll hook you up with a copy on the house.

Participant

Shelldrake,

I really like what you’ve got going on here with your Napoleonic campaign.

I’m sorry to hear you’re having some problems; I certainly hope all is well, or at least moving that way.

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

Good deal.

Did you pick up Scum Of the Earth yet? If not, email me and I’ll hook you up with a copy on the house.

Thank you. I will send an email tomorrow my time. I am interested in the game, so greatly appreciated.

Participant

Shelldrake,

I really like what you’ve got going on here with your Napoleonic campaign.

I’m sorry to hear you’re having some problems; I certainly hope all is well, or at least moving that way.

V/R,
    Jack

Thanks. I hope to type up the second AAR soon.. it was a bit of a blood bath, and a near run thing.

As for real life stuff, I have an awesome wife that is, well, awesome. This helps a lot at times like this.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.