Home Forums Sci Fi 15mm Sci-Fi Slammers in Chicago

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Patrick Sexton and Dave Latz of the Chicago group sent me some excellent pictures of a Slammers game they recently ran using Slammers: The Crucible rules and the relevant supplements. Apart from salivating over the nice scenery and some of the vehicles (those heavy convoy trucks are great – I’ll have to see if I can get a hold of some!) it looked like a lot of fun. They sent me lots of pictures and a brief AAR of what they did and so, as I do, I put it onto the Slammers site.

Have a look here and enjoy their work. But- to see what they are capable of, here’s a couple of shots of their game which I didn’t manage to squeeze into the report!Red hand technicals

Harpy VTOL gunships

Great stuff from these guys, as ever.

John Treadaway

www.hammers-slammers.com
    http://www.hammers-slammers.com

"They don't have to like us, snake, they just have t' make the payment schedule" Lt Cooter - Hammer's Slammers
    Keymaster

Patrick does some great stuff, he is great at re-purposing stuff too.
    Always a pleasure.

Participant

What a great looking table !!

Participant

Great !  Looks like a blast !

"Cry Havoc ! And let slip the dogs of war !"

Participant

Looks fantastic!

Wonder how the rules would shape up for 6mm?

Keymaster

Looks fantastic! Wonder how the rules would shape up for 6mm?

Loads of people play it in 6mm, Brigade do models specifically for 6mm Hammers Slammers.

Participant

Gorgeous table. Lots of nice ideas there.

Participant

Splod

As was said above, the rules work very well in 6mm: have a look here

When I did a lot of the rules testing for the previous volume, most of it was actually done in 6mm* and there were (and are) play sheets for a lot of the forces in 6mm. All can be downloaded for free. My preferred methodology nowadays, mind you, is to use the same play sheets for 6mm as 15mm which seems to work out well.

Then, if I’m playing the game in 15mm – but on a big table – I sometimes invoke the ‘Imperial’ option and just switch cm for inches and carry on using the same play sheet. It works a treat. It means using on table heavy mortars is tricky if the table is too small but… that’s sort of the point.

The game I did with the Brigade chaps at the club in Maidstone (see link above) was a case in point:

It was played about six handed using three or four detachments a side, all in 6mm using Brigade’s excellent models, all over some superb terrain and all using 15mm play sheets.

It was a great day out.

*The first volume, a dozen years ago or more, was done purely for 28mm really. It seemed a good idea at the time…

John Treadaway

www.hammers-slammers.com

"They don't have to like us, snake, they just have t' make the payment schedule" Lt Cooter - Hammer's Slammers
    Participant

Slammers in 28mm… now THAT would be a BIIIIIG table!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

It was big. Toooooo bloody big. And that was the problem.

Birmingham Launch 1

At the launch game in Birmingham (2010) for the Crucible rules, I must have had twenty people ask if it was a 40K game as they just couldn’t get their heads around an SF game in that scale that wasn’t Warhammer.

Kevin getting stuff out of boxes

It became very disheartening very quickly, I have to say…

the table

Then of course, when the rules became available, several guys at one of the clubs I attend said “That’s great, let’s buy it. Let’s play games… 15mm of course…!”

the table

I cried for a bit and said “but guys: I’ve already done all this in 28mm. Scenery, tanks, infantry…. can’t we..?”

down the table

So I buckled. “No more 22 ft tables with Slammers games on” I thought. Oh woe is me.

But they were right: 28mm was the wrong scale, frankly.

So we did a 33 ft table in 15mm at Salute 2013 and I was happy again:

Salute 2103

Suddenly the world made more sense.

Look at the length of that...

Sometimes it’s good to be wrong!

John Treadaway

www.hammers-slammers.com

Participant

33′ in 15mm…. love it!  I can’t imagine the cost of all of that in 28mm.  It’s awesome looking but OMG there goes you’re retirement fund!  Plus, 28mm always seems so congested.  Once played a ww2 game in 28mm, then the exact same game on the same table with rescaled terrain and figure in 15mm (same number of troops and tanks) and it changed the complexion of the combat, utterly and completely.  Went from “tank park” to “tanks on the run”!

You put on such excellent games, Jon.  Some day I’m going to pop by for a go!
    And as for Patrick and Dave… they need to send out some invites too!  🙂

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.