Home Forums Terrain and Scenery Soft ground

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

For a specific game I have in mind, I’ve been making a terrain piece to represent soft ground. Essentially, it is patches of mud embedded in a fairly bright green low vegetation (grass). Up to this point, I’m pretty pleased with the result, however the final stage has not worked out as planned.

The original plan was to finally include several prominent tufts of reed like growth, using teased out thick string tied into clumps.

This looks awful & I’m searching for a replacement for the string “tufts”.

Any ideas or suggestions will be gratefully received.

donald

Participant

I’ve used the bristles from old paint brushes to make reeds .

Participant

Have you looked at the tufts from army painter? I think they could be useful in this instance?

https://shop.thearmypainter.com/products.php?ProductGroupId=3 they start about half-way down the page.

Participant

https://www.facebook.com/leadbearstufts/

These guys do great scenic work. I’ve used the tufts on some of my bases. Cheap too.

Barry Scarlett runs it, you may remember him from a couple of sites.

These are Leadbear tufts but there are plenty of other styles.

I literally hadn’t thought of commercial tufts because the ones I use are not very reedy like but this has opened my eyes. I’ve sent a message to Barry as he’s in OZ & this cuts down the exorbitant P&P associated with O/S purchases.

In the mean time I have an old house painting brush I’ll use to try out Jonathon’s suggestion. Thanks to all.

donald

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.