Home Forums Nordic Weasel Games General Something for the solo roleplayers

This topic contains 12 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Ivan Sorensen Ivan Sorensen 6 days, 14 hours ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen

Since I know a lot of solo wargamers are also dipping their toes in the RPG side of things, I thought this was fitting (particularly since the core mechanic is inspired by a wargame).

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/226066/Blade-and-Lockpick-A-game-engine-for-solo-and-two-player-games

This is aimed squarely at solo and “one on one” gamers, though it works fine with a group as well.
    You get a resolution system that is geared specifically towards letting one player handle a group of characters easily, solo play tools AND some character creation systems.

If you want to do a solo dungeon crawl, you’ll probably enjoy this a ton and it works great with a few D&D plastic mini’s or whatever you have lying about.

Nordic Weasel Games
    https://sites.google.com/site/nordicweaselgames/

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

I was actually meaning to ask which of your rules would work best for Conan style games…

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen

I’m more of a Elric kinda guy when it comes to my classic fantasy 🙂

If you want mini’s straight up, Dungeon Scum, just give him several traits and he’ll chop down fools no probs. I guess replace the monsters with monkeys and snakes 🙂

For Conan and a few henchmen in more of an RPG sort of approach, I’d say check Blade and Lockpick out.

There’s options included specifically to create big heroes, henchmen, minions etc.

Nordic Weasel Games

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

My fav all time RPG was Elric!  Preferred it to Stormbringer myself.

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen

I liked both, but Elric! is one of my fave games of all time.

Nordic Weasel Games

Rhoderic
    Rhoderic
    Participant

Cool, will probably purchase just to dip my toe in the water. Solo RPGing interests me, as does the idea of gaming (solo or otherwise) something that’s in between an RPG and a highly adventure-oriented small-scope skirmish miniature game. Still need to get my bearings, though. There are some obstacles to solo RPGing that I can’t really see solutions around myself, but I’d like to find out if perhaps some solutions that I’ve been blind to do exist out there.

Any chance you’re planning a sci-fi version as well?

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

If you do get it let me know what you think.
    I am after a kind of wargame/rpg hybrid that has quick simple wargame type skirmish stats (I dont need to know Charisma, Ancient Lore, Fletching or BlackSmithing stats) mixed in with rpg style scenarios with a campaign system.

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen

Rhoderic – Some of the challenges we run into, I’m not sure CAN be overcome but I find that if you’re already used to the idea of solo wargaming, then the leap is a lot smaller.

It IS a different experience though, for sure.

Several people have asked for a scifi version, and I have some definite ideas for that. Starships, maybe some traveller style life paths? Stay tuned..

Nordic Weasel Games

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen

Mike – One of the benefits of a “keyword” driven system is that you can just pick the stuff that matters.

So Conan has the “Strong” and “Stubborn” abilities, his skills are “Swordplay (Master)” , “Sneaking” and “Resisting Terror” and he has a talent for “Brutality”.

So on his lonesome, he rolls 3 dice in combat (master at swordplay) adds one die for being “brutal”. He can re-roll the 1’s for being “strong”.

Pick out the highest die and add +1 to it (for the swordplay skill).

If he’s up against a mob of 4 enemies, they’d roll 4 dice, pick the highest.

If conan wins, he knocks one of them out of the fight.

I’d probably treat Conan as an “epic” character, so he’ll lose a die rather than be eliminated, if he loses.

Facing hapless city guards? Easy, they are “Minions” and always roll a 3 on their die.
    Facing really hapless city guards? Easy, they are “Cannon Fodder” and you treat 2-4 of them as one character (Conan chops one up and the rest run away).

Now, you’d have to sort out some tactical movement rules, though I’m working on something for that.

Nordic Weasel Games

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

That sounds good, rules for climbing and sneaking and stuff?

Rhoderic
    Rhoderic
    Participant

The main obstacle I keep anticipating is that I can’t really get “outside of my own head” for having the adventure/story develop and progress in creative ways. I don’t want to be writing a fantasy book (meaning, I don’t want to be planning ahead what happens), I want myself to be surprised by the story, but I still want the adventure to be more open and freeform than, say, a Fighting Fantasy or Lone Wolf gamebook. Of course, short of developing a split personality, that’s not easily achievable 

As for the potential sci-fi version, I’m very fascinated by Traveller as I’ve never really experienced it in any way, so by all means do emulate the style of that (assuming you’re inclined to, anyway).

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by Rhoderic Rhoderic.
    Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

All my games have been solo for the last few years…

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen

Rhoderic – Most “Oracle” systems include some sort of random event generation to force those unexpected moments, whether its during a scene or between scenes.

Ultimately, you’re still interpreting what happens but it can work decently. You do sort of have to squint a bit and pretend though 🙂

Mike – It’s a universal mechanic so Obstacles are handled in pretty much the same way but they don’t roll dice, they have a set difficulty.
    So let’s say we’re scaling a mountain side and I set a Difficulty of 5.

My party has 4 characters. None of them are mountaineers by skill, so I can’t claim a +1 but I do have a character that’s “Enduring” and one that’s “Agile” as abilities, so I can re-roll 1’s.

Okay, round 1:
    2, 3, 3, 6 on my dice.
    The difficulty is a 5, so we succeed.

Mountaineering is probably an extended task, so it can’t be done in one check. Wining then means lowering the Difficulty by 2 and testing again.

Round 2:
    1, 3, 5, 6. Since I have an Enduring character I could re-roll the 1, but either way, we’re going to beat the Difficulty of 3, so it drops to a 1.
    At this point there’s no point rolling again since we’ll make it.

What would happen if we lost? I’d have to remove a character from the challenge. They might be exhausted, lost their will, suffered a minor injury etc.
    Know how in a long group project by the end, it’s driven onwards by one or two people? That’s basically how it ends up.

You can make an obstacle a single-roll too, if you want.
    Let’s say we’re picking a lock and I set a Difficulty of 6 (it’s a very expensive lock).

I have a thief with “Thief” skill and I decide that the groups scholar can help him out by providing technical advice (it’s usually always a good idea to allow 2 characters for a challenge).

They roll their two dice, getting a 1 and a 5. I can take the 5 and add +1 for the Thief skill, meaning I match the difficulty.

I have to remove a character, probably the scholar since he’s less valuable (we might narrate this as his advice running out, after all, he’s not really an engineer) but since it’s a simple obstacle, we also get to resolve it, so we’re through the door.

If we’d blown the roll (let’s say I roll a 2 and a 3) then I’d remove the scholar and the thief would try again on his own (with only his own die).
    In the narrative, the scholar might still be there helping but he’s really just pacing in the background, fussing and trying to come up with ideas while the thief works.

Make sense?

This is all sounding more technical than it really is, but I wanted to showcase a few different examples 🙂

Nordic Weasel Games

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.