Home Forums Modern Soviet SPG-9

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I know this may sound like a daft question but it has been bugging me.

How was this weapon moved? I know it could be trundled along by two men from it’s team but how was it brought onto the battlefield. I can’t see it being carried inside a BTR or BMP so was it towed behind them or porteed on a truck/APC (I’ve seen pics of this)?

Like I said just been bugging me….

Participant

It’s quite small and folds down, so could be towed by a car like the Gaz or UAZ, or towed or slung in the back of a truck like the Gaz-66:

Related image

Image result for spg-9 carrier

It could be fitted in the back of a jeep/truck

Image result for spg-9

Or just pulled by hand over shorter distances

Image result for spg-9

QRF Models Limited
    www.quickreactionforce.co.uk

Participant

I believe it was normally towed behind a BTR, with the gun crew inside. It had a two-wheel carriage for towing.

Military history author

Participant

I think the bigger ones, like the 82mm B-10 and 107mm B-11 were towed by the BTR (or a truck)

QRF Models Limited
    www.quickreactionforce.co.uk

Participant

The Anti-Tank Platoon of a Motor Rifle Battalion (BTR) had two of them, with each being allocated a BTR-60PB for transport.  Believe it or not, they were stuffed inside the BTRs.  That might seem a squeeze, but that was par for the course in the Soviet orbat – the other two squads of the AT Platoon each had to squeeze two AT-4 ‘Spigots’ inside their BTRs.  The SPG-9 was relatively lightweight – a little over 100lbs, so manageable between two or three soldiers.

The two-wheeled trolley was designed for ease of manhandling – it was too small and flimsy for towing behind a vehicle.  There were no trailers authorised in the Anti-Tank Platoon TO&E, so that wasn’t an option either.  I’m also not sure that the BTR-60 was (officially) fitted with a tow-hook.

My wargames blog: http://www.jemimafawr.co.uk/

Participant

The Anti-Tank Platoon of a Motor Rifle Battalion (BTR) had two of them, with each being allocated a BTR-60PB for transport.

I think I knew that, and knowing they had a wheeled carriage, assumed they were towed rather than carried inside. Thanks, it’s always good to get better information.

Military history author

Participant

Cheers JF, thanks for clearing that up. I thought it might be that but couldn’t quite get my head round it as it seems so impracticable hence wondering about it being towed/ported.

Must be fun trying to get one out when under fire!

Participant

They certainly liked to pack them in… 🙂

I once tried getting seven teenagers with webbing and weapons (rubber AKs) in the back of a BMP at Shrivenham… I can only assume that the Soviets had a good supply of malnourished recruits…

Participant

I imagine it was a lot easier with BTR-80 – at least that has doors on the side.

Keymaster

I lived in Shrivenham for a while.

EDIT: Sorry, not relevant..

Participant

Great place!  The only ‘museum’ I know that positively encourages you to climb on and in stuff. 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.