Home Forums WWII Stalins

This topic contains 8 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Jim Jackaman Jim Jackaman 5 days, 15 hours ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    DM
    DM
    Participant

My latest blog entry covers a couple of the new Zvezda 1/100 IS-III tanks. Lovely models and a snip at only tree fiddy ๐Ÿ™‚

http://dtbsam.blogspot.co.uk/2017/11/stalins.html

• This topic was modified 6 days, 15 hours ago by DM DM.

Steelonsand
    Participant

Must be my age, but I misread the post heading as ‘Statins’………..

some lovely paintwork on show there – really look the part.

Tim
    Tim
    Participant

Oh Laws, that is very nice tank painting, David!

Seriously, though, really good paint jobs. ๐Ÿ™‚

In the early 90s, before I discovered the internet, we used the Airfix IS-3s for IS-2 tanks.

PS, I always thought chef’s parents said “tree pfennig” for some reason until I read the expression on line.

Victoria Dickson
    Victoria Dickson
    Participant

Really nice. ๐Ÿ™‚

For some reason I’m wondering what all the bits on the turret are for.ย  The vertical lines round the back, the various round bits sticking up, each presumably has some purpose.ย  Clearly there is no end to my ignorance, but anyone feel like curing this particular lack of knowledge for me?

Etranger
    Participant

Really nice. ๐Ÿ™‚

For some reason Iโ€™m wondering what all the bits on the turret are for. The vertical lines round the back, the various round bits sticking up, each presumably has some purpose. Clearly there is no end to my ignorance, but anyone feel like curing this particular lack of knowledge for me?

I’m not immediately sure about the vertical lines, especially as they only seem to show up on model IS-IIIs, not the real ones! (http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/soviet/soviet_IS-III.php for some views of the real ones) They are probably there as mounting points for the standoff ‘bedspring’ armour used on Russian tanks in 1945.

EDIT: Looking again, they’re meant to be the (far finer in appearance) handrails. David’s drybrushing has highlighted them & made them stand out more.

Looks like an example at Aberdeen PG.

T34-85 in Berlin.

The rounded pieces on the turret top are variously tank periscopes, ventilators & antenna base mounts. I can’t find a decent plan or top view online at the moment.

• This reply was modified 6 days, 9 hours ago by  Etranger.
    Thaddeus Blanchette
    Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

The Soviets didn’t have many halftracks, so their mechanized infantry rode into battle on the backs and sides of tanks. Desant.

Those rails are on most mid- to late-war Soviet tanks. They are there to give the infantry something to cling onto.

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Victoria Dickson
    Victoria Dickson
    Participant
    Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Really nice looking tank there.ย  Might have to pick a few up for sci-fi conversions!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Jim Jackaman
    Jim Jackaman
    Participant

My AK47 dictator wants some of these. Do they come with air con?

http://jimswargamesworkbench.blogspot.co.uk/

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.