Home Forums Modern Stryker Rifle Platoon hasty attack

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by John D Salt John D Salt 3 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    JozisTinMan
    JozisTinMan
    Participant

Solo game using 5Core Company Command.   I still keep feeling like I get realistic results from these rules in a reasonable amount of time.  Ivan is brilliant!

https://jozistinman.blogspot.com/2017/10/stryker-rifle-platoon-hasty-attack-solo.html

Feel free to comment here on on my blog:

What do you think about the platoon leader’s initial plan and execution?
    What would you have done differently?
    What would the outcome have been if there had been ATGM’s in the position?

http://jozistinman.blogspot.com/

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen

Well, you’re going to make me blush talking like that!

Nordic Weasel Games
    https://sites.google.com/site/nordicweaselgames/

JozisTinMan
    JozisTinMan
    Participant

After the British Victory in the American Revolution, I figure you deserve it…

http://jozistinman.blogspot.com/

John D Salt
    John D Salt
    Participant

Some idea of the distances involved — how far across is the table? — might help me make remarks that aren’t total gibberish. But I shall make them anyway.

My first thought as the balloon banana jiffed for this task would be “where’s my fire support?”. This is essentially a platoon attacking an enemy platoon, and 1:1 odds are not my idea of a good way to do a hasty attack. The paranoid side of my personality would also have been reaching for my copy of “Handbook on Krasnovian Military Forces” or some source giving me orbat information on the separatist militia we’re facing, because I would expect an AGS-30 to be a company weapon, and it would be very odd to have heavy weapons deployed as singles rather than pairs. And the “no ATGW threat” I would be a bit careful about given the relative ease with which a Metis launcher can be hidden behind a tree.

If the Stryker company (troop) is organised as I would expect, then I should reasonably expect to have an FO of my own, and even if there is no gunner support, and the helos are grounded due to lack of spares for life-expired Jesus nuts, and the air force have not yet booked into their hotel accommodation, as the company main effort I would ask for the undivided attention of the company’s pair of 120mm mortars, and if I could be reinforced with some or all of the MGS platoon or some Javelin firing posts or a sniper pair or two, so much the better.

This is probably one aspect of the “edge of the world” effect that wargames have to deal with — real military organisations exist in a context of higher organisation and flanking forces that don’t appear on the wargames table. Such an effect might also prevent another thing I would want to do — if one is going to exploit the protected mobility of Strykers, then, as with all flanking moves, go as wide as you dare, maybe a little wider. It would be proper demostration of high-mobility deployable medium-weight network-enabled agile RMA bobbins if you could send the whole platoon in its Strykers zooming straight off the right-hand edge of the table, and then appearing from the enemy’s rear a few turns later. It looks as if the pro-Krasnovian separatists are amateur enough that they haven’t bothered to organise an all-round defence.

Finally, of course, as a Brit, I would want to know how long until night, because all this would be even more fun if the attack takes place in the dark, as I assume I would have an edge both in STANO gear and night training. Rather than do a plain daytime two-up right-flanking attack on the enemy’s main strength, I would want to come howling out of the darkness from behind him, tracers blazing from the RWSes on the Strykers, a few seconds after his sleeping bags are perforated by fragments from a brisk burst of 120mm mortar fire.

Executive summary: I have advantages in protected mobility, in good comms giving access to supporting fire, and in night fighting. I would like my plan to expolit all of those advantages, in accordance with the principle of war “never give a sucker an even break”.

Remember to bring along an expert interpreter, copies of the Geneva convention printed in the enemy’s language, extra water, rat-packs and field dressings for the prisoners, and a handful of wristicuffs to secure them. The quicker we can get them to a TQ team, the better.

If any of the platoon happen, for any strange reason, to have a set of bagpipes they can play, then the attack will be piped in, because that will scare the juice out of the badmash.

All the best,

John.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.