Home Forums Terrain and Scenery Terrain Mat recommendations?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’m thinking of getting new terrain mats – a 6×4 star scape/nebula print for BFG and/or a semi-arid green/brown mix for 15mm westerns. Any recomendations? I was thinking PVC/vinyl for the space mat and probably felt or similar for the western.

Recommendations welcome!

ta

JDE

/
    Chief Sarcaster at http://www.exmouthwargames.org.uk/
    Assistant Dogsbody at http://legionaryshow.co.uk/
    /

Participant

I’d recommend getting a space mat with some texture/sliding resistance to it – I find that any model on a flight stand (which most space ships are) jostles too easily unless they have some purchase on the gaming surface.  For that reason alone I’d suggest not going for vinyl.

As for companies, I’m as interested to hear suggestions as you are. 🙂

Participant

Just picked up a Deep cut 3×3 nebula mat.

http://www.deepcutstudio.com/product/wargames-terrain-mat-3-x3-nebula-theme

Ordered on the 7th Sept, arrived here 16th Sept. I mention that because that was from Lithuania to the UK. The quality is good. Would have put up a pic, but the camera on my phone wouldn’t do it justice. But there are plenty of site.

I was going to go with a UK supplier but I didn’t get a response to an order enquiry and therefore went with Deep Cut and don’t regret it.

As for slippage on the mat, I have got the bases of the miniatures (x wing) weighted down with pennies and a cardboard base glued to bottom (pennies are in there for when I get the magnetic table built)  The card and weight provides a bit of friction between base and vinyl.

They also do 6×4 mats

Participant

Why not try a vinyl table cloth, find suitable colour and spray paint or brush paint required colour.  I mix up fine sand and acrylic and paint on the shinny surface.  Leave to dry ideal in the sun, dry brush lighter shades of colour as required.  Look in places like the Range, Dunelm or even poundland for end of range or reduced table cloth.

Participant

Hotz Mats are excellent quality, but can take a bit of waiting while he makes them up. The vinyl ones are not terrible, but the aforementioned slinging problem with flight stands can be an issue, especially if you have long arms, like I do. I always seem to be brushing something loose.

Participant

For the western mat, I’d recommend the Zuzzy mats.

They are fantastic!

http://www.zuzzy.com/

Granted, you have to paint them, but the texture is insane!

"What EXACTLY is a 'Headpiece of the Staff of Ra' "?
    richarDISNEY

Participant

My latest obsession are the “Battlemats” from Cigar Box Battles.  At present they come in two sizes:  3′ square or 4′ x 6′, and about 15 styles, from sci-fi space scenes to frozen tundra to 19th century farmlands, etc, etc.  More are in the works.

I love the idea of playing on a pretty, full-color “map” like that, and the prices are very reasonable.

Participant

Sam,

I was looking at these how is the quality of the mats?

Participant

My latest obsession are the “Battlemats” from Cigar Box Battles. At present they come in two sizes: 3′ square or 4′ x 6′, and about 15 styles, from sci-fi space scenes to frozen tundra to 19th century farmlands, etc, etc. More are in the works. I love the idea of playing on a pretty, full-color “map” like that, and the prices are very reasonable.

as soon as saw your email about Blucher I did think about the Cigar Box mats, I just love the idea of just taking a game map and some cards to a club and being able to play a game

Contact me on twitter
    http://twitter.com/HobbsTheGamer or hear me witter on about stuff on the Meeples and Miniatures podcast

Participant

Does anyone know of a decent modern-ish ‘urban’ mat? Specifically something with just a street grid and spaces for buildings, with tarmac roads, paved…pavements and the like. I’ve seen a few more ancient street layouts with dirt and cobbled roads around, but nothing really just generic 20th century+ in style.

I suspect due to my lack of results searching so far I’ll probably just end up building a modular board, but would be nice to know if something like that exists. Preferably not particularly war-torn either (this really is a surprisingly specific desire isn’t it?).

Participant
    Participant

Well these are tiles rather than a mat and I’ve not used them myself but I’ve heard good things about them – make of that what you will

SciFi Cityscape MDF Scenery tiles

You’d have to colour it yourself but it looks pretty good when you do.

Participant

If you don’t mind getting a little bit craft-y yourself, there’s this:

http://www.worldworksgames.com/store/index.php?view=product&product=37

Scale to any desired size, print and paste.  They look great on the table.  You’ll want a good inkjet or laser printer, though – or a good copy center.

Participant

I was in a pet store last night and I noticed some terrain mats (for reptiles) by Exo Terra. The sand mat looks like it would make an awesome rocky ground piece for DBM*.  The moss mat, while less ideal, could serve for brush.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.