Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy The Chronicles of Crom's Anvil

This topic contains 50 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Darkest Star Games Darkest Star Games 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

Far from home and having barely escaped from the Merchant’s guards, Erland takes refuge in a strange outcrop of rocks for the night. 

Come morning, a hungry wolf pack is waiting for him, trapped with nowhere to run, Erland must fight!

Erland wakes up and emerges from the hidden cave in the outcrop. One pack of wolves is resting in the shade of some nearby trees, the other at the base of the outcrop.

So, this is my first try at the rules. You have cards with the characters on them to determine what order people do things in. Seeing as this is just a test scenario I am keeping it simple and light, so just three cards.

There are three stats in CROM! Movement, Combat and Special. Baddies, or minions have a certain amount of dice for each. The wolves have four in Movement, two in Combat and none in Special. Mighty adventurers have a number they can allocate as they choose, Erland has twelve dice he can split over all three stats.

TURN ONE

We must allocate dice to the dice pool. Erland decides to mostly fight and as such allocates three dice to movement and nine to combat. Minions’ dice are pre-allocated.

The three cards are shuffled and we turn them over to see who goes first…
    We flip and a wolf goes first, we choose the group that is resting in the shade and roll their four dice, they get eleven.
    This allows them to move 11cm (the CROM rules are actually in inches as they were done for 28mm, but as I am using 15mm, I have swapped to cm)

This allows the one group to move right up the edge of the outcrop.

We flip the next card and it is Erland!
    At the start of the turn, we decided to allocate three dice to movement and nine to combat!
    We roll the three dice and get a total of eight, which is enough to run into the wolf pack!

That gives us nine dice to split.
    Right, so if we spend all nine on attacking we will have none for defence, but if we kill the three wolves in the pack before they draw their card, they won’t be able to attack.
    We risk it, three dice on each of the three wolves.
    We roll three dice three times and they roll two dice three times. (Erland being a mighty adventurer has acquired some golden dice from a previous adventure!)

So combat is opposed rolls, the higher winning and this causes two hits on the enemy if you win. If any of your dice happen to be a six, this is an extra hit!

The first fight we roll eight and the wolf gets six. We win and the wolf takes two hits.
    Wounds on minions are done so that for each hit you remove one die from each stat.

So the first wolf which has movement four and combat two becomes movement two and combat zero. It is badly wounded and can’t fight but still has movement to flee.

The second fight we roll twelve and the wolf gets seven. We win, but as we got a six the wolf takes three hits. Again, it can just about limp away.

The third fight is very much the same, we win and hit for three. Luckily, we have hit all three and reduced their ability to fight.

Erland has used all his dice and now we flip the last card, which is the wounded wolf pack, they limp away.

TURN TWO

Thinking about dice pool allocation.
    If we go first we can move and attack.
    If they go first we won’t need to move, they will attack us, but successful defence rolls do less damage than successful attack rolls.
    So we need to strike first which requires movement dice.
    We allocate two dice to movement and ten to combat!

Given that one group of minions can’t attack, I have removed them from the ‘deck’. Flipping the top one, we see the wolf pack.

They roll their four movement dice and close in on Erland! They each have two attack dice each. We have allocated ten dice to combat. We decide to use three for defence on each one and save one die to attack on our turn if the wolves live!

With the first one, we get thirteen vs their seven and we cause two hits, which effectively knocks the wolf out of the game.

The second again, we win with ten vs, six.

The third however, the wolf being the last one is spurned on and wins! Not only does it win and causes two hits, one of the dice was a six which is an extra hit. Erland takes three hits! So with heroes, hits are different. We reduce our dice pool by how many hits we take. So Eland’s dice pool is now nine dice, rather than twelve and that spare one we saved is gone!

TURN THREE

So with it being one wolf vs Erland it really should be just academic. Rather than play it all out, I just roll the wolfs two dice and Erland’s nine. It is possible for Erland to lose, but he does not, the dice gods are fair!

So, with a slight wound to his arm Erland heads off to the nearby village of Simurgh where he hopes to trade his wolf pelts for wine and women!

ian pillay
    ian pillay
    Participant

Nice battle report and great looking table. Game mechanics look interesting, do they work well for solo play?

Mmmm, not sure what quality the women are if your trading them for wolf pelts…. 🙂

keep em coming AB

• This reply was modified 7 months ago by ian pillay ian pillay.

Tally-Ho!

Ruarigh
    Ruarigh
    Participant

Great report. Now I want to do 15mm fantasy, curse you! Love the terrain too. There’s something elegant about a desert set-up like that.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Victoria Dickson
    Victoria Dickson
    Participant

Nice report, the rules look interesting.

One question, you say successful defence rolls do less damage than attack rolls, but they don’t seem to in the example. Did I miss something?

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

Did I miss something?

Nope.
    I did.
    I think this is where the wolves attack and Erland has allocated more dice so he wins?
    I forgot he was defending rather than attacking, ooops!

Game mechanics look interesting, do they work well for solo play?

Should do, this was solo.
    You need to second guess which cards will be drawn and try to allocate your dice accordingly, the randomness of the cards will help add uncertainty.
    Then the fact the dice rolls are opposed means there is not really that much in the way of UGOIGO which can hamper solo play.

Victoria Dickson
    Victoria Dickson
    Participant

Having looked at the rules, I think there was another mistake. When minions have different dice pools for movement/combat/special they reduce only the highest till the pools become equal, so wolves go from 4/2/0 to 3/2/0 to 2/2/0 to 1/1/0.

The way you played it might be better though, otherwise it seems very unbalanced against the hero. And I might have found an out of date version of the rules, it’s the kind of thing I do.

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

The way you played it might be better though, otherwise it seems very unbalanced against the hero.

yeah, that was deliberate.
    I figured that just because something is fast it should not be harder to kill.
    I thought of things like a Harpy, they may be say, 8/3/0 but to have to reduce that move of 8 by loads, when that amount of damage would kill it were it not fast, seemed wrong to me.

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

Your normal bandit type is 2/2/0 so taking them down properly would wipe them out no bother as the rules stand.

Victoria Dickson
    Victoria Dickson
    Participant

The way you played it might be better though, otherwise it seems very unbalanced against the hero.

yeah, that was deliberate.
    I figured that just because something is fast it should not be harder to kill.
    I thought of things like a Harpy, they may be say, 8/3/0 but to have to reduce that move of 8 by loads, when that amount of damage would kill it were it not fast, seemed wrong to me.

Your way makes a lot more sense. 🙂

Stroezie
    Stroezie
    Participant

Ha, nothing like a good fight in the morning to get the juices flowing! 8)

That does it, I’m digging out my 15mm Crom! figs and terrain and giving them a whirl.
    It’ll be my first non 6mm game in three years, thanks Michael.

Now that that’s off my chest, nice little batrep!
    I agree on the damage distribution thing seems to make more sense like that.
    I’m thinking I’ll try the opening senario again using this.

Cheers,
    Stroezie.

If you like 6mm scifi check out http://planetares6.blogspot.be/?m=0

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

It’ll be my first non 6mm game in three years, thanks Michael.

Yay, my first in 10 years!

I agree on the damage distribution thing seems to make more sense like that. I’m thinking I’ll try the opening senario again using this.

For bad guys that have a dice pool I will just do it as you would a hero, but for minions, once their C is zero they are effectively unable to fight.

Pics too, or it didn’t happen!

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

@Stroezie  You don’t have a spare female witch from this pack that you would sell by any chance do you?

PACK

Stroezie
    Stroezie
    Participant

Ah, sorry can’t help you there buddy.

The one with the feathers is an ally and the others are all end of level baddies.

If you like 6mm scifi check out http://planetares6.blogspot.be/?m=0

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

Ah, sorry can’t help you there buddy. The one with the feathers is an ally and the others are all end of level baddies.

Both booo-hiss and oooh, interesting!

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Wow that played out fast!  Me thinks I might have to pick this up and get going…

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

For a fiver you can’t go wrong!

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

Eydis has set up camp near an oasis for a few days and returns one afternoon to find a band of bandits going through her tent.
    They have not yet seen her, so she approaches stealthily with a mind to teaching these filthy dogs a lesson!

TURN ONE

I allocate six of the twelve available dice to movement and leave six for combat.
    I am guessing that there will be no combat this turn due to the distances, but am being cautious and also still getting a feel for the rules.
    The bandits dice are pre-allocated.

We turn over the first card and it is Eydis, she rolls her six dice for movement and gets twenty one which is a good move, not enough to get her into melee. I decide to use all that move and she sprints forward.
    With no-one in base to base contact, her turn is over.

The next card is Bandit Chief who rolls seven for movement and screams kill her as he leaps forward. He too is not able to melee, so we turn over the last card and the group of minions roll and move six.

So the turn ends with no blood spilled. We shuffle the cards and start…

TURN TWO

So we now need to think what dice to allocate for Eydis.
    The people are close enough that they will almost certainly fight this turn even if Eydis stays still and puts her dice into combat.
    So she could have all twelve dice for fighting.
    BUT… if she lets them come to her, she will be defending and if she wins a fight as defender she does less damage than if she wins as an attacker.
    So to do the most damage she needs to attack, which means moving and moving first!
    Moving first is on the draw of the card so the chances are with three cards she will not go first.
    Special Dice time!
    The three stats are Movement, Combat and Special.

You can if you wish, allocate dice to the special pool and use these for initiative, over writing the card draw sequence.

Seeing as we need her to get the first blow in, we allocate three dice to movement, eight to combat and one to initiative.
    So the turn begins, this is where all those with initiative dice roll and compare the total.
    Seeing as these bandits are low level scum, they do not have any special dice so Eydis automatically wins the initiative dice roll and goes first!
    We roll her three movement dice and get thirteen, more than enough to get stuck in!

She has eight dice for fighting.

I set three aside for the bandit minion, four for the bandit chief and leave the rest to defend when the others get their turn.

The bandit minion and Eydis fight.

Her three dice are six, six and two making fourteen!
    His dice are four and five making nine.
    The highest wins, so she wins.
    Winners inflict two damage.
    But for every six you roll you add an extra hit, so with that roll she inflicts four damage.

When a minion takes damage you reduce all their dice by one for each point of damage, so the minion takes four off his dice, giving him minus two in them!
    Hells teeth, that was a mighty blow and Eydis cleaves the man’s head and should in twain, crimson spilling all over the dry sand.
    Turning to the Bandit chief she rolls her four dice and gets six, six, four and four!
    He being tougher than his lackeys has four dice compared to their two and he gets five, three, one and one.

Twenty versus ten.
    She wins again, and also has two sixes, making her 2 damage attack into 4 damage points.
    The bandit chief having four dice in combat loses all four dice and is slain, he too stains the sand red with his life blood!

So, her turn is over, and we flip the cards.
    Crom mocks us, the first card was Eydis anyway, we could have saved that special dice for more bloodletting!
    Next is the bandit chief, oops.
    So the bandit minions are next.
    They roll their two movement dice and get twelve, more than enough to surround Eydis!

This however will hurt, we have only one die left for fighting! So two of the bandits will get free blows in.
    The free rolls are six and four, and five and four. The six and four is made into three hits and the five and four is just the two.
    So far she has taken five hits!
    We now get to use our last die in combat, the bandit rolls a 3 and a two!!! Eydis rolls a six?!! Croms teeth!
    So she made a successful defence roll which means she takes no hits but rather inflicts one on the attacker, but as it was a six, she adds an additional hit, so the damage to the bandit is two, enough to fell him!

So the turn ends, plenty of blood is spilled but Eydis is badly hurt having taken five hits. With heroes this reduces the dice pool, rather than have twelve dice to allocate she has now only seven.

TURN THREE

Needing to attack first and finish them off we allocate one die to the special pool to be used as initiative and the other six to combat.

So she goes first! In CROM you can burn dice, that is to say you can elect a dice to be an automatic six rather than roll, but any dice used this way are classed as damage and removed from your dice pool for the rest of the game. I elect to burn one for each attack, so I roll two dice for each attack rather than three, but each attack now has an automatic six added to it.
    The first attack we roll a one and a two! But we add the six making it nine, the bandit rolls five in total, we win and cause three hits (two for winning an attack roll and an extra one for that six)

The second attack we roll three and a four, but we add that six making it thirteen. We win and again inflict three damage, more than enough to kill the last bandit!

So we were down to seven dice in our pool but burnt two meaning we now only have five dice from our starting pool of twelve.

However, we are victorious and the thieving dogs lie dead in a bloody red soaked patch of their own dishonesty!

Eydis, cleans up in the pool and packs her camp and heads for Simurgh hoping to buy some rest with the looted coin from the would be robbers!

Paul
    Paul
    Participant

Mike, any chance you will be doing your own 15mm Conan-type figures? Ive always lusted after the Copplestone stuff, but Northstar not taking Paypal means I wont buy from them.

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

Can I be a pain?
    Could you ask that over on my 15mm fantasy topic please?
    I would prefer to keep this about the games/rules, not the end of the world if you can’t or won’t but it would be appreciated!

😀

LINK

Paul
    Paul
    Participant

Understood and done

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

That’s some nifty dice burning there, really helps the PCs out when they’re in a pinch.  Question:  Had a mook rolled higher than Eydis, even with her 6, does she still make an automatic hit because of said 6?

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

Question: Had a mook rolled higher than Eydis, even with her 6, does she still make an automatic hit because of said 6?

No, you first compare the total, the highest wins.
    Then you look to see if the highest roller had any sixes then they are an additional amount of hits/damage.

So a roll of three 6’s would not beat a roll of four 5’s.

shelldrake
    shelldrake
    Participant

This is a great topic to follow. The minis are that detailed and well painted I would swear they are 28mm.  I too might have to dust off my copy of Crom!

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

Thanks, the baddies are not painted that well to be fair.
    I am just slapping paint on in order to play with them.

That said, I just painted a few more bandits yesterday so I can do another game soon.
    Set in Simurgh where Erland and Eydis meet up!

Started painting my terrain ordervfrom you and I think I like these resin rocks as much as “real world” ones!  Now I just need one with a spot for an ambusher on a 15mm Circle base to crouch in while waiting…

🤔

Gracias, Glenn (H. I. C. K.)

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

Oooh so like a natural mini stone circle thing… ?

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

These battles have been a great read, thanks for posting them!

I’m guessing we will see Erland join up with Eydis at some later point?

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

That is the plan, the end of each game saw them both heading to the village of Simurgh.
    Who knows what will await them there?!

Gone Fishing
    Participant

Thought I’d bump this, as it’s so inspiring. Can we expect any more episodes in the future? 

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

Thanks dude, hopefully next week.
    I have everything I need, just need the time/energy now…

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

Simurgh.

Erland having sold his wolf skins for coin, wine and some healing poultices settled down for a good night’s sleep in the only lodging available and rests his wounds. Eydis arrives as Erland snores and sets up her tent to sleep and tend to her wounds. The next day they spy each other and are pleased to see fellow Nordheimers both so far from home, alas despite his best efforts, that night Erland retires to sleep on his own.

The following morning, they are both roused by shouts from the villagers??! Bandits are attacking, it seems that the ones from the oasis were part of a larger group and they have tracked Eydis to Simurgh and are bent on revenge!!!

TURN ONE

Bandits attack.

Erland and Eydis both split their dice pool 50/50 for movement and combat.

Turning over the first card we see a group of bandits go first:

They roll their 2 movement dice and get a pathetic 3cm. Next card is another group of bandits who roll 11cm, then is the bandit chief who moves 6cm, sending his goons off ahead of him.

Next is Erland who with 6 movement dice rolls 28cm.

He bursts out of his lodging, leaps effortlessly over the fence and sprints into the nearest group of cowardly dogs and hacks at them.

He splits his 6 dice equally and attacks each bandit with 2 dice, they only have 2 dice so they defend with 2 dice.

He rolls:
    6+3 vs 4+1 = Erland rolls the highest so inflicts 2 wounds, but the 6 gives him an extra for 3 in total
    6+4 vs 3+1 = Erland rolls the highest so inflicts 2 wounds, but the 6 gives him an extra for 3 in total
    5+5 vs 5+6 = The bandit rolls the highest, but as he is defending it is only worth 1 wound, however his 6 makes that 2 in total.

The bandits can only take 2 wounds so the first two are sent to their gods in quick measure, the last bandit dog however manages to get a chance blow in and cuts deep into Erland’s mighty thighs and spills crimson!

Next card is the final group of bandits who cautiously advance a mere 4cm.

Finally is Eydis who hearing the commotion and grabbing her swords rushes from her tent and toward the final bandit.

Her 6 dice for movement give her a lightning fast 30cm and she charges headlong into the scum who tracked her and she rolls her 6 dice for combat and cleaves the dog in two!

TURN TWO

Due to the wound on his thigh Erland only has 10 dice left in his dice pool. Both mighty warriors split their pool 50/50 for movement and combat. The cards are in our heroes favour this turn:

Eydis runs far and fast with Erland limping behind.

The bandits all rush toward the two savage northerners.

TURN THREE

Eydis puts 2 dice into movement and 10 into combat. Erland puts 3 into movement in an attempt to catch up with Eydis, and 7 into combat.

Eydis comes up first in the deck and runs at the bandit chief but falls short, the next card drawn however is the chief and he closes the gap and swings at Eydis.

He has 4 dice so Eydis elects to use 7 of her 10 as she feels this is more than enough and wants some left for later.

She wins and with a 6 as part of her roll, she parries the chiefs blow with her smaller blade and swings high into his shoulder and causes 2 wounds. (1 as she was defending and an extra 1 for the 6) The chief however is made of sturdier stuff than his goons and can still take another 2 wounds before dying.

Erland is drawn next and he rushes at the bandits near the south and strikes two dead with mighty blows, but that wound in his leg caused him a moment of pain and in that instant the remaining bandit parried and kicked his booted feet into Erlands thigh and opened the wound further causing Erland to lose another die from his dice pool.

TURN FOUR

Time for tactics!
    Erland has 9 dice, he puts 1 into his special dice pool, 4 into movement and 4 into combat.
    Eydis also puts 1 into her special pool, 9 into combat and 2 into movement.

The special dice can be used as initiative.
    So they both roll and Eydis gets a 6 and Erland a 5.

So having dice in initiative means you go first rather than rely on the luck of the deck of cards.

Eydis goes first, allocates 4 of her 9 to fight the chief and splits his skull in twain, she uses her 2 movement dice to advance on the 3 bandits and splits her last 5 dice as a 3 and a 2. With exceptional rolls 6+6 and 5+5+6 she dispatches 2 of the 3 bandits with great skill. However she has no dice left for defence when the remaining bandit has his turn.

But…. Erland is next up as he too used initiative dice. Even wounded he can still outrun a pathetic bandit dog so uses his 4 movement dice to run up to Eydis’s side and 3 of his combat dice to attack and finish him off.

With one remaining combat die he turns to face the bandit he left and throw his sword at him, before it even hits the bandit turns on his tail and flees the village for his cowardly life!! Jubilant that the bandits are gone, the villagers come out of their homes and surround our heroes and shower them with praise!!

Time for some well-earned rest, and if Erland is lucky maybe no more sleeping in the goat shed!

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

Mighty heroes and cowardly bandits, like a good saturday morning cartoon 🙂 (and I mean that in the good way!)

Great report, you have managed an impressive setup in a short time, hat off to you sir!

Steve Johnson
    Participant

Great AAR and they did much better than my pathetic efforts yesterday!!!

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Good stuff.  interesting choice Erland to come to Eydris’ aid (obviously not ‘rescue’!), but that’s a great way to score points with a lady (even one battle hardened!).

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Say, I notice that so far no one has used any sort of ranged weapon.  Are they included in Crom?

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

Say, I notice that so far no one has used any sort of ranged weapon. Are they included in Crom?

Yup, only recently (ish) painted up archers though.
    They do less damage than melee attacks which is good as it encourages a more melee type game.
    (Additional 6’s in missile attacks do not add to the damage.)

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Awesome, thanks!

Gone Fishing
    Participant

Some deep inspiration there. Without exaggeration, these are some of the best AARs I’ve come across in a long while. (Of course, being in the midst of a similar project helps!) I’m sure it’s rather labour intensive, but it really helps to have the actual die rolls recorded, and makes the rules much more understandable for newbies like myself. Are these still solo games?

The table, figures, cards all look just great. Love the look of the thing.

I hope very much the Chronicles continue.

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

Thanks, I always try to include some dice rolls so that people can get an idea for how the mechanics work.
    (and also to point out if I am doing it wrong!)
    The next one won’t have so much in the way of melee dice rolls noted, maybe just for one turn, but it will hopefully be my first game with archers, so I will delve into that in a bit of detail.

Glad you like it, I was tempted to do a more traditional fantasy setting (Europe stylie) but it has never been my way to go with the flow as my 6mm sci-fi will prove, but went for what I wanted rather than what was easiest…

😀

EDIT: yes, still solo.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by Angel Barracks Angel Barracks. Reason: wordery

cmnash
    Participant

Great work AB! Just sorry it’s taken me this long to catch up!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.