Home Forums Renaissance The Other Pikeman's Lament.

This topic contains 31 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by kyoteblue kyoteblue 1 week ago.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

After reading others AAR’s for Pikeman’s Lament. I bought the rules along with Lion Rampant. While I have tons of painted Medieval figures, I’ve no painted Pike Shotte or Horse, but digging in my pile of lead I found enough old Minifig and Museum Miniatures to do up a couple of armies. Wish me luck!

Mr. Average
    Participant

The pikemen sure are doing a lot of lamenting these days! Any appreciations of how this works with 6mm scale figures?

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

I have no idea how any of it works just yet, little own in 6mm.

Rhoderic
    Rhoderic
    Participant

The pikemen sure are doing a lot of lamenting these days!

I was going to say that! 

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Rhoderic Rhoderic.
    Victoria Dickson
    Victoria Dickson
    Participant

The pikemen sure are doing a lot of lamenting these days! Any appreciations of how this works with 6mm scale figures?

It’s almost like we’re a wargames club, someone turns up and plays a set of rules and a couple of weeks later half the club have joined in. 

I don’t see any reason why it couldn’t be played with 6mm figures, there seem to be plenty of people here playing sci-fi skirmish games in 6mm.  Units are either 12 or 6 figures strong, it’s designed for individual casualty removal but works ok with tracking losses instead.

Guy Farrish
    Guy Farrish
    Participant

Or I believe some people do several 10mm and 6mm figures on small bases (coins seem quite common) and play with each base as a ‘figure’ to be removed. I’ve seen this done with Lion Rampant and it works quite well – of course that period has a less organised, less ‘linear’ feel anyway. Perhaps with Pikeman’s Lament (not played yet) square bases might be better? But units of 12/6 bases each of multiple figures would look quite good.

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

I plan to base my figures on small steel washers so I can use sheet magnet to make movement trays.

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Sorting through my lead pile, I’ve found two cannons and 12 pirate gunners for regimental guns! Being a gaming pack rat is paying off! I can also use some of my riderless horses to add to some shot to make a couple of Dragoon units. Now to get them all based and painted.

Steve Williams
    Steve Williams
    Participant

I think for 6 and 10mm you just need to add a few figures to each base

The nice chap at https://rollaone.com did some nice conversions for 6mm Saga and I think Pikeman’s Lament set in the GNW

OB
    Participant

Sorting through my lead pile, I’ve found two cannons and 12 pirate gunners for regimental guns! Being a gaming pack rat is paying off! I can also use some of my riderless horses to add to some shot to make a couple of Dragoon units. Now to get them all based and painted.

It’s the way to go, most of my Mersey Rule School Armies have been assembled from stuff I already had.  Someone should give the lad an award for promoting recycling.

OB
    http://withob.blogspot.co.uk/

Victoria Dickson
    Victoria Dickson
    Participant

Recycling, yeah, but then I really really want some regular cavalry for my Zulu War British, and I just have to do the ’45 with Pikeman’s Lament and don’t have any figures for it, and then there’s Restoration period armies that look so cool, and when it comes down to it his rules are a gateway drug.  Just say ‘No’! 

OB
    Participant

It’s true, unfortunately I said yes.

My Donnington Restoration 15mm biggies arrived yesterday-very nice.  I’ve a unit of Dragoons half painted.

Which Manufacturers figures are you thinking of for the ’45?

OB

Victoria Dickson
    Victoria Dickson
    Participant

The current plan is for Essex for the Government forces, for most of the highlanders too as they have two suitable ranges for them.  I’ll also pick up whatever highlanders I can from other manufacturers and mix them in to get a more varied look.

But that’s subject to change. 🙂

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

I would love to get some Essex Pike and Shot 15mm figures but don’t know of anyone who carries them in the USA. Scale Creep Miniatures has the Black Hat figures but they look kinda crude.

Victoria Dickson
    Victoria Dickson
    Participant

The Black Hat ones are characterful, I’d say.  Which appeals to me, but isn’t everyone’s taste.  They’re also on the large side, so I doubt they’d mix well with other ranges.

I’ll try to get my sample figures painted up this week and let you see what they look like painted.  Plus it gives me a reason to get a move on with my painting. 🙂

OB
    Participant

Check out the Roundway Highlanders very Essex compatible and cheaper.  You can see them here.

'15

'15

The Black Hat cavalry are huge I used them with my Old Glory infantry and they fit well enough.  Their infantry are a match for Dixon but cruder.  To my mind the mounted and foot of the range are different sizes biggies and true 15s respectively.

• This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by  OB.
    • This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by  OB.

OB

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Thank you, Victoria and OB, I’ll pass on the Black Hat figures then. Not sure what else I can get ahold of.

OB
    Participant

Maybe try Ebay?

OB

Victoria Dickson
    Victoria Dickson
    Participant

Blue Moon look quite nice, I’d say. No cast on pikes, don’t know if that’s a plus or minus for you.

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Thanks, Victoria and OB, I have a line on two Essex boxed armies.  I don’t do e-bay .  Just primed the figures I do have after basing them on small steel washers.

I’ve been reading Eric Flint’s 1632 series since it started and Pikeman’s Lament jump-started my plunge into this period.

My first armies will be Dutch V Spanish in the Netherlands.  I need a Spanish Nobles name as I already have the Dutch commanders name John Kepers.  John will most likely die in the first game…just the way my luck goes.

Thanks again for all your suggestions!

Victoria Dickson
    Victoria Dickson
    Participant

Victorio Ricardez?  Just a suggestion…

Oh, and remember you can upload pics directly to this site. 🙂

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Hum, I could go with that name, he would always demand Duels !!  I’m not able to load any pictures to any place but Facebook sorry. Some kind people have posted from my Facebook to here for me.  I’m old and don’t know how to do some stuff…or even follow their directions on how to do stuff. It all seems like magic to me. Evil frustrating magic!

OB
    Participant

For God’s sake KB its easy.  First cover the floor of a suitable room with salt and taking a Deer’s hoof in your left hand draw a perfect circle in the salt, then light candles at the cardinal points.  Take up your position in the centre of the circle and begin the incantation.  What could be simpler?

OB

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

This!

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

I posted some pictures of my Pikeman’s Lament armies on my Facebook page.

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Sent the money order off for the 2 Essex boxed armies today, I should have them sometime next week.  I have a painter lined up and hope to have a game in before Thanksgiving.

Victoria Dickson
    Victoria Dickson
    Participant

Not long to wait. 🙂

I’ve lost my motivation this week, haven’t achieved anything wargame related.  Hopefully I’ll find it again over the weekend.

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Sorry to hear that Victoria, new toys help me get motivated. That or one of your AAR’s or Jacks!!

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Reinforcements, arrived today. I gave them to my local painter and hope he can get enough done to try a game soon.  I also have enough Ottomans already painted to do an Ottoman army after I rebase them.

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

My first Pikeman’s lament army will be Ottoman’s  rebased from my old DBM/R army of old. 3 units of horse and two of shotte. I’ll have to wait till my painter gets an Imperial army painted to get my first game in.

Graham Harrison
    Participant

I posted some pictures of my Pikeman’s Lament armies on my Facebook page.

Link please?

Not long to wait. 🙂

I’ve lost my motivation this week, haven’t achieved anything wargame related. Hopefully I’ll find it again over the weekend.

This coming week is a bit of wargaming heaven for me.
    Tuesday night, two friends coming here for a game.
    Wednesday, over to another friend for all-day big Black Powder game.
    Friday night, gaming at the local club.
    Sunday, running the club game at Warfare wargames show.

I wish more weeks were like that!

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

I am unable to post links. sorry. However, I am the only Jonathan Keepers in Oklahoma on Facebook, so you can look for me and friend me.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.